Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor is selling on Amazon.co.uk for £138

I was looking at getting a Timex Run Trainer, but having my head turned by this as it is a good bit cheaper.

Is that a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gambas wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor is selling on Amazon.co.uk for £138

I was looking at getting a Timex Run Trainer, but having my head turned by this as it is a good bit cheaper.

Is that a good deal?
    Yep. The price seems to fluctuate on Amazon between £138 and £170+, but with the HRM included, that is indeed a good deal, particularly when you compare it to the inferior 405cx, which is almost £30 more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Thanks Krusty - checkout complete!

Worked out a little more expensive (think Irish VAT rate) STG£142

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Hi,

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305.

Occasionally a page will appear, that I've never managed to read properly, regarding battery status or something similar. I never stopped to read it properly and would be gone when I finished the run.

The last couple of times the page appeared around the same time as the "Batterys Low" indication. I can't say whether I have pressed a button, or combination of buttons to bring the page up.

I've only seen it maybe three or four times in the year I've had the watch.

Anybody have any ideas what this page is?

McW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

My Garmin 910xt: I wonder if many here are experiencing this problem. The bloody instant pace is all over the place, swim in OW and run. When I upload to GC it’s fine but looking at history on the watch it says that run pace for my intervals is always 0:15/km and for OW swim 0:01/km??? While running instant pace goes up and down, lap pace seems fine but still not near good enough.

• Advertisement

My Garmin 910xt: I wonder if many here are experiencing this problem. The bloody instant pace is all over the place, swim in OW and run. When I upload to GC it’s fine but looking at history on the watch it says that run pace for my intervals is always 0:15/km and for OW swim 0:01/km??? While running instant pace goes up and down, lap pace seems fine but still not near good enough.
    Instant pace: I find it incredibly unreliable. Can't use it at all. I always use average pace (either 'lap pace' or 'pace average'). Instant pace is cr8p.

History on the watch: Garmin introduced a bug in the latest firmware that screws us pace when viewed in the history on the watch. Can't fathom why they haven't fixed it yet. It has been there for a month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

. Can't fathom why they haven't fixed it yet. It has been there for a month or two.
    afaik they went to work for ulster bank for a few weeks...

Instant pace: I find it incredibly unreliable. Can't use it at all. I always use average pace (either 'lap pace' or 'pace average'). Instant pace is cr8p.

History on the watch: Garmin introduced a bug in the latest firmware that screws us pace when viewed in the history on the watch. Can't fathom why they haven't fixed it yet. It has been there for a month or two.

I see well good to know I'm not the only one experiencing such problems. I guess the question now is try and send it back and get a replacement or wait for the next firmware update...god knows when that'll be. I should disclose now that this is an actual replacement unit i.e. I have already had to return one.

I see well good to know I'm not the only one experiencing such problems. I guess the question now is try and send it back and get a replacement or wait for the next firmware update...god knows when that'll be. I should disclose now that this is an actual replacement unit i.e. I have already had to return one.
    There's no reason to send it back (unless you're looking for a refund!). These are software bugs, so they'll be present in all watches running the latest firmware. They are not hardware issues.

There's no reason to send it back (unless you're looking for a refund!). These are software bugs, so they'll be present in all watches running the latest firmware. They are not hardware issues.

Cool, thanks KC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Random... Right.... I sent you a fix via satellite while you were sleeping. I'll be expecting an extra large slice of cake at the next race. ;)

Can you fix it again then. :(

Can you fix it again then. :(
    I didn't get my slice of cake from the last time I fixed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sorry to be a bore, is amazon the cheapest place to pick up a garmin watch? Looking for a bog standard 110. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry to be a bore, is amazon the cheapest place to pick up a garmin watch? Looking for a bog standard 110. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Yeah, that €138 (+vat differential) seems to be about as cheap as you'll get. Think they occasionally retail for around €150 in brick and mortar shops over here. I understand that the 110 has been a problematic watch, so you may be better off visiting the bricks and mortar shops in Ireland, for the additional service, but online, yes, Amazon is more than likely the best way to go. Also worth checking out Handtec.co.uk, which some people here use occasionally. Seems a little cheaper for the 110.

Yeah, that €138 (+vat differential) seems to be about as cheap as you'll get. Think they occasionally retail for around €150 in brick and mortar shops over here. I understand that the 110 has been a problematic watch, so you may be better off visiting the bricks and mortar shops in Ireland, for the additional service, but online, yes, Amazon is more than likely the best way to go. Also worth checking out Handtec.co.uk, which some people here use occasionally. Seems a little cheaper for the 110.

Thanks Krusty, Ive heard about the 110 problems from a couple of my mates too actually, might reconsider. Ive not really spotted them for less than €170 in shops around Dublin. Which watch would you advise as a good entry level start?
    Thanks again.

The Forerunner 210 gets good reviews as a starter watch and I haven't seen the same level of negative feedback (here on Boards). But at that price, you can occasionally pick up the Forerunner 410 for cheaper from Amazon.co.uk. The 410 isn't an entry level watch, but you don't have to use the more advanced features (until later when you grow into them) and if it's selling for cheaper than the 210, it's a steal. I'd hold out for the 410 (look out for it at £135 including HRM)).

Great, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sportablet app available to connect your Garmin to a tablet device - anyone use this?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sportablet app available to connect your Garmin to a tablet device - anyone use this?
    Haven't looked through the entire video, but I presume it's only for those Garmin units that transfer data via USB (e.g. 205/305 etc). So an ANT+ based Forerunner wouldn't be supported? Would be delighted if it did work, as I've largely switched to an Android tablet, and uploading runs is one of the few remaining reasons to hold onto my ageing laptop.

*EDIT*: Looking at the website, ANT+ based devices will be supported in the future. I would hope that Garmin are also working on an ANT+ solution for Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

EDIT - Sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

So I'm new enough to running and looking to buy a good watch that will see me through to running my first half marathon....eventually!!! Optimism is everything!

Looking at these two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forer...833475&sr=1-19

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Woman...833475&sr=1-23

Any recommendations? I'm wondering should I just go for the second one as it's much simpler?

Hi Lachin, both of your links are broken/truncated so we can't see which watches you are interested in. If you just name them, we'll know which ones you are talking about.

Thanks Krusty_clown and apologies re broken link.
    The watches are forerunner 110 with hrm and forerunner 410

lachin wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty_clown and apologies re broken link.
    The watches are forerunner 110 with hrm and forerunner 410
    I'd go with the Forerunner 410 every time. It can be as simple or as complex as you like. Amazon occasionally sell this with HRM for £135, so I'd hold out for that price, if you can.

Thanks a mill for the recommendation @ krusty_clown!

Thanks a mill for the recommendation @ krusty_clown!
    I suppose I should say why I would recommend the 410 over the 110:
    The 110 is a stop and go watch. That's all it does. Track your speed/pace/distance (optionally Heart rate) and then allow you to upload these for analysis on the website.

The 410 will allow you to do all of the above, plus:
    • Save waypoints which you can later use for a simple form of compass navigation (handy when running in foreign/unfamiliar cities)
    • Connect to a bike cadence sensor
    • Connect to a foot pod
    • Use Virtual Partner to run against a previous performance or pre-defined pace
    • Auto-pause (e.g. when stopped at traffic lights)
    • Customize your data fields
    • Display three different data screens (e.g. one for running, one for cycling, one for trails)
    • Create distance, Time or HR based work-outs
    • Create intervals to perform interval training
    • Create or upload advanced workouts, for thing like multi-phase workouts, tempo runs, pyramid sessions, PMP sections, etc.
    • Pace/Time/Distance/HR alerts
    • It comes with two additional straps in the box

While at first you may not use (m)any of the above functions, you can still use the watch as a 'stop and go' and at a later point, start incorporating more advanced features as your running progresses. Now given the fact that it is (at times!) approximately the same price as the 110/210 on Amazon.co.uk, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Negative points:
    It uses a bezel (running your finger along the outside rim of the watch is used to navigate options and features) which can be tricky to use while running or particularly on wet days, but for the most part, you will not need to use the bezel while running, as the key functionality (stop/start and lap) is controlled by the hard buttons. Also the bezel is supposed to be much improved with the 410 watch.

When to buy the watch: When it's selling for around £135 including HRM on Amazon.co.uk (current price is £160 +VAT differential). They periodically drop the price, so you just have to watch out for it. Alternatively, if you know someone travelling to the US, the price on Amazon.com is around €166, including HRM.

Wow.... Thanks for the comprehensive comparisons @krusty_clown. Will defo be buying the 410 then, appreciate the feedback, thank you!!!

Wow.... Thanks for the comprehensive comparisons @krusty_clown. Will defo be buying the 410 then, appreciate the feedback, thank you!!!
    Buy now! 126 pounds Sterling including HRM on Amazon.co.uk. Link in my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi Guys,

Using a Garmin 410 and normally uploads information fine to garmin connect or at least I can manually upload it. Have files from the last couple of days I need to upload manually but when I go into the website it loads the page but gives a message 'Error on page' and a lot of the normal functionality is missing. There is one option which is manual upload (the one I am looking for) but this doesn't bring me into the next screen to select where to upload the file from.

Any ideas? Doesn't seem like a garmin specific problem but the rest of my internet sites pages seem to be working fine.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Using a Garmin 410 and normally uploads information fine to garmin connect or at least I can manually upload it. Have files from the last couple of days I need to upload manually but when I go into the website it loads the page but gives a message 'Error on page' and a lot of the normal functionality is missing. There is one option which is manual upload (the one I am looking for) but this doesn't bring me into the next screen to select where to upload the file from.

Any ideas? Doesn't seem like a garmin specific problem but the rest of my internet sites pages seem to be working fine.
    Is it just the Upload page that you have problems with? Looks like pretty simple Javascript, but it does seem to have code specific to Internet Explorer versions, so if you're using IE, you may want to look at which version you are running, and potentially upgrade or re-install.

Definitely seems like a browser issue. Can you try another browser (e.g. Firefox (best), Chrome or Internet Explorer? Why don't the automatic uploads work for you?

Advertisement