Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers for reply Krusty.Believe it or not,after much fluting about with it,I actually got it to do it:D
    So, what did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

As you can see from the menu, the available options to you are:
    Reverse - Reverse the course Start and End points
    Out and Back - Follow course back to start point
    Loop to start - Connects the end of the route to the start of the route

There is nothing there for creating sub-section loops. So if you want repeated loops, you'll have to draw them out. An alternative is to run the actual route and then save it as a course for future use.
    I could'nt draw them out because the points it was creating wouldnt allow me to go back over an already plotted route if that makes any sense?? At certain stages it would minus miles instead of adding them.The only way I got around this was to place the cursor alongside the road as opposed to on it.Running the route was not an option either as im mapping a 21 mile lsr for Sunday and need to know course for stashing H2O the previous night:D
    If you have an easier way of mapping loops i'd welcome the advice.Cheers

If you have an easier way of mapping loops i'd welcome the advice.Cheers
    Nope, that's exactly what I would have done (or just run the course first!).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Hi,
    My new Garmin arrived thankfully in time for half marathon on Saturday :D A quick question. Is it better if I use the same stick that I used with the last Garmin, if I do - as opposed to using the new stick, will it mean that I can start logging onto the same account - as I want to have continuity with all my training logged so far? Tks in advance!

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Hi,
    My new Garmin arrived thankfully in time for half marathon on Saturday :D A quick question. Is it better if I use the same stick that I used with the last Garmin, if I do - as opposed to using the new stick, will it mean that I can start logging onto the same account - as I want to have continuity with all my training logged so far? Tks in advance!
    Yep, you can use the same one. No difference at all. You will need to pair your watch to the USB stick (Right click the Ant Agent in the toolbar, select [Pair with new Devices] -> [Enable]). You'll be asked to supply your Garmin Connect username and password, and then you should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Got a replacement Garmin Forerunner 405cx and I have never had a problem before pairing with the ant stick to download data. Cant understand that the pop up box saying it has found my device is not appearing.. Am I missing something.. Needed to get something up today..

eon1208 wrote: »
    Got a replacement Garmin Forerunner 405cx and I have never had a problem before pairing with the ant stick to download data. Cant understand that the pop up box saying it has found my device is not appearing.. Am I missing something.. Needed to get something up today..
    Have you enabled pairing on both the watch and the ANT stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Have you enabled pairing on both the watch and the ANT stick?
    Hi
    Yes I just got a new Garmin and had the same happen yesterday. Go into the watch Menu - settings - ant + -computer - enabled - set to yes.
    This worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Has anyone updated yet? What are the enhancements? Any bugs?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Has anyone updated yet? What are the enhancements? Any bugs?
    Change History
    Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
    Fixed issues causing shutdowns when utilizing courses.
    Fixed issue that could cause the device to shutdown when creating/editing a particular step in a workout.
    Fixed issue where average speed/pace was incorrect on the history pages and Garmin Connect.
    Improved responsiveness of the average pace 100m field in lap swimming.
    Corrected pace values displayed on the history summary page for lap swim.
    Added delay to key lock functionality to avoid accidental engagement of key lock.
    Fixed problem with manual distance based foot pod calibration.
    Improved open water speed data.
    Fixed and improved various translations.

Just updating now. Apparently you need to check your settings, as the update can reset your measurement system (metric/statute) and wheel dimensions (if you use a bike sensor).

• Advertisement

Change History
    Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
    Fixed issues causing shutdowns when utilizing courses.
    Fixed issue that could cause the device to shutdown when creating/editing a particular step in a workout.
    Fixed issue where average speed/pace was incorrect on the history pages and Garmin Connect.
    Improved responsiveness of the average pace 100m field in lap swimming.
    Corrected pace values displayed on the history summary page for lap swim.
    Added delay to key lock functionality to avoid accidental engagement of key lock.
    Fixed problem with manual distance based foot pod calibration.
    Improved open water speed data.
    Fixed and improved various translations.

Just updating now. Apparently you need to check your settings, as the update can reset your measurement system (metric/statute) and wheel dimensions (if you use a bike sensor).

Just an update: I performed the update (allow a good 10 minutes!) and didn't need to change metric/statue or any other personal settings. Lap pace (History on the watch) is now correctly displaying average pace for the lap.

I also noticed that the elevation profile looks far more accurate (3 metres difference between the start and end of my run (based on a loop). Also, I'm not sure if it's related (I was also wearing a tighter t-shirt than normal) but for the first time in as long as I can remember, my HR graph looks correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nothing has transferred from the watch for the last two weeks. Thought my ANT USB gizmo had finally kicked it. Had even been browsing online to try and find the cheapest place to get a replacement. Did a quick google about the transferring and just reading through other problems so went through my data transfer settings again.

Pairing was switched off. :confused: Pairing switched itself off. :confused:

Not a question Clown, just sharing my confusion! :)

Nothing has transferred from the watch for the last two weeks. Thought my ANT USB gizmo had finally kicked it. Had even been browsing online to try and find the cheapest place to get a replacement. Did a quick google about the transferring and just reading through other problems so went through my data transfer settings again.

Pairing was switched off. :confused: Pairing switched itself off. :confused:

Not a question Clown, just sharing my confusion! :)
    Pairing is a one time thing. It doesn't need to be enabled. It's like where you legitimize the connection between the watch and the ANT stick. Once paired, the connection should be permanent and should not need to be re-'paired' unless something changes.

It only establishes a connection now if it's switched on. So something is going on with that then. Had a message up saying it was trying to find devices and never realised they weren't paired anymore. Watch and computer/ant stick aren't holding onto the connection.

Maybe I do need a new stick then :(

It only establishes a connection now if it's switched on. So something is going on with that then. Had a message up saying it was trying to find devices and never realised they weren't paired anymore. Watch and computer/ant stick aren't holding onto the connection.

Maybe I do need a new stick then :(
    Not much can go wrong (from a hardware perspective) with the ANT stick, unless you snap/bend it. I reckon you just need a windoze computer. :)

Not much can go wrong (from a hardware perspective) with the ANT stick, unless you snap/bend it. I reckon you just need a windoze computer. :)

Well the cover came loose from it aaaaagggggess ago and falls off sometimes leaving me with a cool looking chip :pac:

Anyway they're supposedly paired and I can't do an upload via garmin connect as no device is detected. :mad:

Maybe I should get a polar? :p

Perhaps!

I'll take down details of recent runs and reset the watch before I do anything too drastic.

Annoying as fudge, same problem keeps arising and there's no chance I'm upgrading to a 910 with all the problems people on here are reporting with them at the mo. Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

been browsing online to try and find the cheapest place to get a replacement.

I have a 2nd one if your looking for one cheap.

rom wrote: »
    I have a 2nd one if your looking for one cheap.

Cheers, master reset seems to have worked but that means my training since sept 9th gone - that includes some actual good stuff :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Good review of the new Garmin FR10 (i.e. the budget version) here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Perhaps! Definitely!

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

another question for you Krusty! well your opinion is needed more anything...
    i bought myself a 910xt lately, Garmin are promoting it as a true triathlete's
    watch but i have an annoying problem, i do a lot of running, a bit of cycling
    but no swimming, and that's the way i intend to keep it!
    so to get to the point, the last few days i've been running i have noticed that
    there is some condensation inside the screen, it dries off after a few miles
    but this condensation shouldn't be there in the first place as the watch was
    designed to be for a triathlete in the first place.
    i used to have a forerunner 305, but i find that the 910 loses satellite
    reception very quickly under even a few trees, i'm dreading bringing into
    the woods! i know the reception of the 305 is legendary at this stage but
    surely Garmin could have matched this with their latest all singing all
    dancing gps unit, especially given that the 305 design is 6 or 7 years old.

to be honest i'm almost regretting spending so much of my hard earned on
    what i wouldn't consider to be hugely superior to my old watch!!

Hi boost creep, I gt occasional fogging in my 910xt. Garmin have said that this is expected behaviour, as there is a level of humidity within the watch itself. Not sure if you accept that, but it has never bothered me.

On the lost satellite thing, I have never experienced anything like that and have spent a lot of time running in area with significant tree and building cover. If that happens, I'd suggest you return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

Hi boost creep, I gt occasional fogging in my 910xt. Garmin have said that this is expected behaviour, as there is a level of humidity within the watch itself. Not sure if you accept that, but it has never bothered me.

On the lost satellite thing, I have never experienced anything like that and have spent a lot of time running in area with significant tree and building cover. If that happens, I'd suggest you return it.

i'm a Garmin fan so i won't panic just so! and seeing as it hasn't been a problem for you i will ignore it, i bought it in The Edge Sports in Cork so i'm sure there won't be a problem if i do have to return it.
    i am a bit concerned about the weak satellite reception, and come to think of it it has been a little slow to pick up it's satellites on initial start up in the last few days, although i should add that the overall distance is bang on compared to the Forerunner 305.
    sure i'll play it by ear for another couple of weeks and if things get worse i'll return it, thanks again Krusty.

You are probably better off ringing Garmin directly and posting it (insured) postage to back to them with the case number on it if they instruct you. If you drop it into the shop it could be the next day before the ring garmin, another day or two before it is posted etc and then it could end up being close to 3 weeks rather than the week and half if you posted it yourself. Personally I would rather post it myself as I can track it and know where it is. You won't be able to walk into the shop and get a direct replacement. Also when you ship just the watch they send you back a full watch boxed with dongle and charger etc without HRM so you will get a spare one. That has been the case for the 610 and the 110 that I had to get replacements for recently. The only thing is that you have to be on hold to garmin for like 30 mins. Make sure you get where to post it and details on how to address the package with the case ID etc. The hassel going to a shop and getting them to get it fixed is something I rather do without myself. Like all shops in Ireland bar AK's recent offer on the Garmin 10 they overprice them. My watch is 440 euro in the edge and I bought it for 250 online (mine was refurb but 325 euro for new on amazon.co.uk). Your 910xt is a similar price range. That kind of markup is not justified. I don't mind paying extra to irish businesses but when they can be very competitive with the rest of the running gear why is there so much profit on these watches. Like I bought a pair of GT2170's in the edge and I couldn't get them for more than 5 euro cheaper online. On garmin's site they have RRP as 305 pounds for the 610 which is like 380 euro. Ok you might get a 10% loyalty discount but it is the same in most shops I go into garmin's are crazy overpriced but I have seen other manufactures watches close to what they are online. Why is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

To answer ROM directly on the pricing issue, ignoring any discounts or deals:

Retailers in Ireland must buy their Garmin products from an Irish based distributor who buys from Garmin UK. Ireland (from Garmin point of view) is still firmly attached to the hip of UK.

This is why the UK sterling price or RRP is exactly the same as the RRP in Europe. Ireland does not get to have the same RRP as Europe, instead we get the Sterling to Euro exchange rate and the additional VAT over UK VAT levels.

So 910xt RRP is STG 360 = €450 (Europe wide RRP) but €490 RRP in Ireland because of the extra pair of hands involved and the additional VAT.

Believe me the Irish retailer does not make the difference in the Europe and Irish prices.

In an attempt to balance the picture, and warranty issues are very quickly turned around by the Irish distributor, in most cases with genuine claims, you will get a straight replacement over the counter without having to post off or (subject to stock) wait for a unit to be sent out to you.

Hope that helps.

i'm a Garmin fan so i won't panic just so! and seeing as it hasn't been a problem for you i will ignore it
    I have 2.2k+ miles logged on my 910xt, and it has fogged up maybe 15 times, usually when we have rapid changes in temperature (i.e. very chilly -> pretty warm). Like I said, it has never affected me (other than a slight fogging in the center of the display) but some of the triathletes who post on the forum have returned their watches for this reason (though if Garmin say that it's a part of the manufacturing process, I'm not sure that a replacement will behave any differently). By the way, my original 405 exhibited the same behaviour and is now on close to 8,000 miles, however, the 405 is not designed to be used underwater (it is splash-proof). So if you don't put any value on the Garmin manufacturing story and believe that the moisture within the watch originates externally, then you should probably follow in the triathletes footsteps.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the satellite connectivity, particularly if you don't have any plans to swim extensively. There is a data field for GPS Accuracy. Why don't you include it as a field in one of the screens and keep an eye on it?

In an attempt to balance the picture, and warranty issues are very quickly turned around by the Irish distributor, in most cases with genuine claims, you will get a straight replacement over the counter without having to post off or (subject to stock) wait for a unit to be sent out to you.
    Hi AKW, more of a consumer issue, but if you have a product that is faulty (e.g. not fit for purpose) can you get a refund/exchange for a new product or do you have to go down the warranty/send back to Garmin road?

Also, does the Irish Garmin distributor maintain a list of 'known issues' such as fogging and have a 'default resolution process' or does each return get evaluated on its own merits?

<Yes, I know, should've bought a Polar!>

• Advertisement

To answer ROM directly on the pricing issue, ignoring any discounts or deals:

Retailers in Ireland must buy their Garmin products from an Irish based distributor who buys from Garmin UK. Ireland (from Garmin point of view) is still firmly attached to the hip of UK.

This is why the UK sterling price or RRP is exactly the same as the RRP in Europe. Ireland does not get to have the same RRP as Europe, instead we get the Sterling to Euro exchange rate and the additional VAT over UK VAT levels.

So 910xt RRP is STG 360 = €450 (Europe wide RRP) but €490 RRP in Ireland because of the extra pair of hands involved and the additional VAT.

Believe me the Irish retailer does not make the difference in the Europe and Irish prices.

Hope that helps.
    I thought as much it was something like that because with other brands and sports gear the prices are competitive but when it comes to garmin's there is something wrong. I was talking to an owner about this and he thought he was selling them at a competitive price here in Cork. Recently they have started selling other brands of watches because I presume they can offer more competitive pricing on them.

It may be the case at AK where you give a replacement at times but I know this is not the case in all shops and having to drive to a shop twice would negate the benefit. There is defo an issue with the prices irish retailers are getting these watches at and it is a pitty that there is not much that can be done about it. Your deal on the garmin 10 must have a super tight margin if any when it can't be beaten online with shipping.

BTW the runners are the best things I have ever worn. Something you don't get from an online store. I will be buying all my runners from you the future but would like to buy my next garmin too whenever that is but garmin screwing Irish retailers might make me get a polar :)

Advertisement