Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

"Retailers in Ireland must buy their Garmin products from an Irish based distributor who buys from Garmin UK. Ireland (from Garmin point of view) is still firmly attached to the hip of UK." - Why not try to source them from Germany or France etc ? The free movement of goods and people must allow this to take place with the exception of alcohol and tobacco. Or would it be possible for Irish retailers to band together and get distribution via another EU market. I think it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi AKW, more of a consumer issue, but if you have a product that is faulty (e.g. not fit for purpose) can you get a refund/exchange for a new product or do you have to go down the warranty/send back to Garmin road?

I knew I should have brought my thinking head to work today!!

I'm not fully conversant in the full Consumer Law side of things (thankfully we don't get many issues that cant be resolved satisfactorily). The distinction seems to be around being 'fit for purpose' as opposed to 'manufacturing issue' or 'workmanship'. Using a hypotethical situation:

If the Polmin™ ;) watch I buy to track & record my runs doesnt do what the salesperson told me it would do and fails to record the runs for analysis afterwards, then it is not fit for the purpose intended and you are entitled to return it for exchange or at the discretion of the retailer, a refund may be appropriate, but I believe, not obligatory.

If a different Polmin™ watch was 'fit for purpose' but was also advertised as being suitable for swimming but due to a manufacturing issue it leaks water resulting in you having to dry it out each time you use it. The unit should be returned to the seller for return to the manufacturer who may repair or replace the watch. If this was a wide spread manufacturing issue I would expect a recall, though this only appears to happen in high value or 'dangerous' items like cars or kettles.

Re your specific question about Garmin, I have been told that in the instance that there is a clear warranty issue we will get a straight swap like for like on a product. No question about it. This has been the case to date on any issue. I then return the units to Garmin on behalf of the consumer and claim a replacement.
    Also, does the Irish Garmin distributor maintain a list of 'known issues' such as fogging and have a 'default resolution process' or does each return get evaluated on its own merits?

No list exists that I know of or have been told about. However, when an issue arises, recently I'd a 210 which was having lock on issues & switching off, a phone call to query and I was told I could simply replace it.
    <Yes, I know, should've bought a Polar!>

Requires no further comment :D

rom wrote: »
    "Retailers in Ireland must buy their Garmin products from an Irish based distributor who buys from Garmin UK. Ireland (from Garmin point of view) is still firmly attached to the hip of UK." - Why not try to source them from Germany or France etc ? The free movement of goods and people must allow this to take place with the exception of alcohol and tobacco. Or would it be possible for Irish retailers to band together and get distribution via another EU market. I think it stinks.

ROM the territorial distribution applies to all products. All of our running shoes come from UK based distributors who ship from Europe.

I think the biggest issue is that, in relative terms, the Irish market is tiny.

While it would probably be possible to source abroad the issue would arise with flexibility in the instance of warranty. I would no longer have the Irish distributors support, probably would have the same issues but increase the costs in terms of shipping to Europe and not have the discretionary replacement of like for like over the counter.

Its a tough call.

Recently they have started selling other brands of watches because I presume they can offer more competitive pricing on them.

Not necessarily the case. The same applies to Polar, look (but dont buy!!) on Polar.fi and you will see the RRP of the units in Euro is lower that the RRP in Euro on the polarelectro.co.uk site (don't buy there either!).

I think the reliability of the product speaks volumes for the consistency of sales with this brand.
    Your deal on the garmin 10 must have a super tight margin if any when it can't be beaten online with shipping.

Don't tell the boss!! You are 100% right in your observation.

The motivator was to either sit with full stock at RRP and try sell over the counter over a number of weeks and then suffer when online stores discounted, sucking more potential away. Or, provide a controlled discount structure (only boards.ie got an offer) which would help attract initial sales, create interest and hopefully (I'm being honest) attract future customers that I can look after for other items.

BTW the runners are the best things I have ever worn. Something you don't get from an online store. I will be buying all my runners from you the future but would like to buy my next garmin too whenever that is but garmin screwing Irish retailers might make me get a polar :)

Case in point! :D Thanks ROM. Good luck with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I have a Garmin 305 and recently the start/stop button has started functioning as a sort of lap button for some reason.

I have 3 fields on my main screen - Distance, (current) Lap Pace and Last Lap Pace. If I'm running at 5:35min/km and press start/stop when I reach traffic lights, the Last Lap Pace will suddenly change to 5:35min/km despite not reaching the end of a lap (1km).

But if I look at my history and at the .gpx, the laps aren't an issue any more, it's only when the watch is tracking that this happens confused.png

Or has it always been like this?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stupid watch wont upload to the stupid computer since yesterday. :mad:

Done various reinstalls of the Garmin ANT agent and communicator plugin, did manage to get them to talk briefly and claimed to be transferring all the data across. Then the transfer stopped for a moment, then it restarted and hung but no new files appeared in the "devices" folder on the PC. Now any reinstalls or reboots and then wont even pair with each other again.

Will go and try the watch on another PC tomorrow and see if it still talks with that before I think about doing a hard reset on the watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Lately I've noticed problems with my own ANT dongle and windows, not pairing, stalling on transfer etc.
    From this thread it looks like others seem to be having problems with ANT sticks and device pairing as well.
    There is a program called USBDEVIEW that lists every usb device currently and historically connected to your computer.
    LINK: USBDEVIEW
    I've seen in the past where devices get confused as the various different usb ports stuff that devices gets plugged into start to install drivers in the background and eventually the machine doesn't know what to do. (sorry, non tech waffle)
    I ran the usbdeview program and it showed multiple entries for the garmin ant stick (from different ports) I uninstalled all entries for the stick using the program and reinstalled from fresh, been working fine for me since.
    Might be worth a try if you're comfortable before doing a hard reset on watch.
    Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is there a way to get the backlight to work permanently on the watch for night time running?

Thanks

Is there a way to get the backlight to work permanently on the watch for night time running?

Thanks
    Yes on garmin 305 which is old and 610 which is new. you just change the timeout to none in settings So I presume all in between are similar. I always have it set to none as it useless in the winter or when you need it otherwise. Which garmin you have would help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yes on garmin 305 which is old and 610 which is new. you just change the timeout to none in settings So I presume all in between are similar. I always have it set to none as it useless in the winter or when you need it otherwise. Which garmin you have would help :D

Silly me, its the garmin 405, got it about 3 years ago. Will try that tonight.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

I have a Garmin 305 that is about 2 years old. Out for a long run on Sunday with full charge and after approx. 2 hours I got a low battery message. Now it was still going after 3.10 hours when I finished the run but I am concerned as I will need it for the DCM in a few weeks - so is it a case that I need a new battery or should I go for a 3.10 hour DCM!!? (that's never gonna happen!)

From my (small amount of) research, a battery change means sending it away to Garmin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mike D wrote: »
    I have a Garmin 305 that is about 2 years old. Out for a long run on Sunday with full charge and after approx. 2 hours I got a low battery message. Now it was still going after 3.10 hours when I finished the run but I am concerned as I will need it for the DCM in a few weeks - so is it a case that I need a new battery or should I go for a 3.10 hour DCM!!? (that's never gonna happen!)

From my (small amount of) research, a battery change means sending it away to Garmin?

Thanks
    I don't believe a battery change is an option they provide. Instead, they would take your unit, replace it with a refurbished unit, and charge you approximately £80 (sterling) for the privilege (and there are no guarantees that you would get it sorted before DCM). Are you sure it wasn't a one-off problem? Why don't you turn on GPS, leave it beside a window, start an activity and see how long the battery lasts?

If you are going to send it back, I would check with your mates to see if you can borrow someone else's Garmin for the race as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Charge it today, switch it on, and see how long it lasts...

RayCun wrote: »
    Charge it today, switch it on, and see how long it lasts...
    P0wned (or whatever those young people say). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jaysus, probably easier to beat you in a race :pac:

Thanks

Do you have is set to smart recording (every 3 secs) or per second recording ? You'll need to have it smart recording for a marathon I would say.

Do you have is set to smart recording (every 3 secs) or per second recording ? You'll need to have it smart recording for a marathon I would say.
    I don't think smart recording has any impact on the battery; rather it has an impact on the memory foot-print of your tracklog. In fact, as far as I know, even with smart recording turned on, the watch still samples every second (and uses this data for averages etc); it just doesn't store these extra track items. Think I read this on one of DC Rainmaker's posts on a conversation he had with the Garmin development team.

I don't think smart recording has any impact on the battery; rather it has an impact on the memory foot-print of your tracklog. In fact, as far as I know, even with smart recording turned on, the watch still samples every second (and uses this data for averages etc); it just doesn't store these extra track items. Think I read this on one of DC Rainmaker's posts on a conversation he had with the Garmin development team.
    Well that's pure silly. Well then you can turn up the brighness on the watch so that is using less battery. The darker it is then more battery it is using. On my iPhone the darker it is then less battery it is using.

I don't believe a battery change is an option they provide. Instead, they would take your unit, replace it with a refurbished unit, and charge you approximately £80 (sterling) for the privilege (and there are no guarantees that you would get it sorted before DCM). Are you sure it wasn't a one-off problem? Why don't you turn on GPS, leave it beside a window, start an activity and see how long the battery lasts?

If you are going to send it back, I would check with your mates to see if you can borrow someone else's Garmin for the race as a backup.

Yeah, good plan. I'll charge it and leave it running and see how long I get. I have a mate who has a 305 and is injured for the DCM! - my good fortune!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Well that's pure silly.
    It only appears pure silly, if you make the assumption that smart mode is about power saving, when in fact it seems to be about history/memory conservation. The way I understand it works is that it takes a data point every second. It adds information about total distance covered/average speed etc to the totals. If that data point is in a straight line with previous data points, it disregards the data point as it is not very useful and results in taking up additional space. From a runner's perspective, these extra data points are not very useful (as long as the data is accurate). However, as a cyclist with a power-meter connected to the watch, you need a constant stream of data points (so the watches switch to per/second recording).

Personally, I'd rather have the increased data accuracy of taking a data point every second (even if I don't use per-second recording), rather than the additional battery life, as the 18-20 hours on my 910 is plenty for my needs and the 6 hours on my old 405 worked out fine for me too.

It only appears pure silly, if you make the assumption that smart mode is about power saving, when in fact it seems to be about history/memory conservation. The way I understand it works is that it takes a data point every second. It adds information about total distance covered/average speed etc to the totals. If that data point is in a straight line with previous data points, it disregards the data point as it is not very useful and results in taking up additional space. From a runner's perspective, these extra data points are not very useful (as long as the data is accurate). However, as a cyclist with a power-meter connected to the watch, you need a constant stream of data points (so the watches switch to per/second recording).

Personally, I'd rather have the increased data accuracy of taking a data point every second (even if I don't use per-second recording), rather than the additional battery life, as the 18-20 hours on my 910 is plenty for my needs and the 6 hours on my old 405 worked out fine for me too.

My 610 has both but stores like 200 hrs of activities. Who is going to need 200 hours of activities without syncing it with garmin connect. Longer battery life is much more important. It is a not needed feature if that is the case.

My 610 has both but stores like 200 hrs of activities. Who is going to need 200 hours of activities without syncing it with garmin connect. Longer battery life is much more important. It is a not needed feature if that is the case.
    I tried per/second recording for a while, but the size of the file uploaded to my computer (and subsequently to GC) was prohibitive, so I use smart mode (I have a couple of gigs of runs stored in GTC at this stage). Cyclists with power meters on the other hand need this data.

Yeah, good plan. I'll charge it and leave it running and see how long I get. I have a mate who has a 305 and is injured for the DCM! - my good fortune!
    Thanks

Its been running now for 3h.48m although I did get a low battery alert and 2h.43m

Should be good for the DCM but after that I'll need to assess.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Hi there,

I want to get one of these watches as getting tired of carrying the smart phone.

Was thinking of the new forerunner 10. (approx 130 euro) seems to have what i would need and i like the idea if the virtual pacer as I run on my own all the time.

However was maybe thinking I should get one with HR monitor as i have never measured HR when training and was thinking this could be helpfull in future.

What would one recomend as the next step up from 110 with HR monitor. Is the heart rate monitor worth it or do people use it much?

Was looking at a Garmin FRUN 110 HR Men Red Special on a website. this was 210 euro and I presume the HR means it has a HR monitor right?

Other one i was looking at was forerunner 210 with Heart Rate monitor.. 275 euro

any advice appreciated as I am doing first dcm in two weeks and would like to get it for this as I will have to carry gels in a belt so phone will prob have to go.

Hi there,

I want to get one of these watches as getting tired of carrying the smart phone.
    - DCrainmaker has reviews of many watches as there a lot to choose from as we all have different needs in a watch. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

Was thinking of the new forerunner 10. (approx 130 euro)
    - AK has a deal for 120 euro if you search
    seems to have what i would need and i like the idea if the virtual pacer as I run on my own all the time.
    - virtual pacer is a bit of a gimmick to be honest as it is not a good idea to go out and try to beat yesterdays time like that all the time.

However was maybe thinking I should get one with HR monitor as i have never measured HR when training and was thinking this could be helpfull in future.
    - this is what i did. got one of them, never used the hrm unit this year. hrm support is great and I personally could not train without one. I could now as I know what effort I need to be going at.

What would one recomend as the next step up from 110 with HR monitor. Is the heart rate monitor worth it or do people use it much?
    -Some do some don't. Personally I have found it the most important part of the watch, more so than the GPS.

Was looking at a Garmin FRUN 110 HR Men Red Special on a website. this was 210 euro and I presume the HR means it has a HR monitor right?
    - I would think so.

Other one i was looking at was forerunner 210 with Heart Rate monitor.. 275 euro
    - try
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/
    amazon.co.uk
    http://www.clevertraining.com/c-146-gps-watches.aspx

any advice appreciated as I am doing first dcm in two weeks and would like to get it for this as I will have to carry gels in a belt so phone will prob have to go.
    - online shops will take longer to deliver and you would probably want to have done 2/3 test runs with it rather than finding out how to use it marathon day. Personally I would get on to Sean in AKwest for a garmin 10 as he will ship it next day if has one for you (he might not) but you would want to be getting one end of week this week or very early next to try it out.

Hi tomred1N, those prices seem excessive. The Forerunner 410 is £160 (around €200) from Amazon.co.uk and includes a heart rate monitor. It's a decent watch that supports intervals and advanced workouts and will grow with you, as your requirements grow. Sometimes it's sold on Amazon for £136 (around €170), so you could watch out for the price drop. A better buy than the 210 and the 110, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Hi tomred1N, those prices seem excessive. The Forerunner 410 is £160 (around €200) from Amazon.co.uk and includes a heart rate monitor. It's a decent watch that supports intervals and advanced workouts and will grow with you, as your requirements grow. Sometimes it's sold on Amazon for £136 (around €170), so you could watch out for the price drop. A better buy than the 210 and the 110, in my opinion.

Hi Tomred1N, I bought a Garmin 410 (with heart rate monitor) about six weeks ago - I ordered it on a Monday evening and it arrived by Thursday (did pay a few pounds extra to get quick delivery) as needed it for Half Marathon which was on that Saturday. It worked out at 220 euro (175 Stg), I think. Bought it from Amazon.co.uk, it was sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Lizzy C wrote: »

Hi Tomred1N, I bought a Garmin 410 (with heart rate monitor) about six weeks ago - I ordered it on a Monday evening and it arrived by Thursday (did pay a few pounds exytra to get quick delivery) as needed it for Half Marathon which was on that Saturday. It worked out at 220 euro (175 Stg), I think. Bought it from Amazon.co.uk, it was sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have looked up the 410 and it does seem good value on amazon for the hr monitor and extra features it has over basic models. just one question is this watch easy to use or does it take a while to get the hang of using it....i remember reading something about the bezel thing on it being a bit hard to get used to

• Advertisement

tomred1N wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have looked up the 410 and it does seem good value on amazon for the hr monitor and extra features it has over basic models. just one question is this watch easy to use or does it take a while to get the hang of using it....i remember reading something about the bezel thing on it being a bit hard to get used to

You should read the manual for a garmin cover to cover. Why ? cause a year latter you realize it has a feature that would have been very handy. Looking at youtube video's on how to use the watch over the next few days will teach you most that you need to know.

Advertisement