Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tomred1N wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have looked up the 410 and it does seem good value on amazon for the hr monitor and extra features it has over basic models. just one question is this watch easy to use or does it take a while to get the hang of using it....i remember reading something about the bezel thing on it being a bit hard to get used to
    The bezel wasn't great on the 405, was improved slightly on the 405cx, and given a proper revision for the 410. I'd imagine it's still a pain in the a$$ in the rain, but the trick is to lock it before you start running and keep it locked until you finish your run.

As to ease of use, yeah, the bezel takes a bit of getting use to, but after a few days, you'll have no bother. As rom suggested, read the manual. If you have any questions, post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

rom wrote: »
    You should read the manual for a garmin cover to cover. Why ? cause a year latter you realize it has a feature that would have been very handy. Looking at youtube video's on how to use the watch over the next few days will teach you most that you need to know.

I'm fairly technologically challenged and I find it no bother to use at all. You get used to it - at least you have a bit of time to get used to it. I love it, couldn't be without it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Has anyone got a Garmin 910 xt? Thinking of getting one for myself for Christmas and don't want to make a mistake. The online reviews seem positive, but are there any head melting things from everyday use?

Has anyone got a Garmin 910 xt? Thinking of getting one for myself for Christmas and don't want to make a mistake. The online reviews seem positive, but are there any head melting things from everyday use?

I have 2,000+ miles clocked up on mine. The chief complaints are:
    1) Some fogging of the screen in environments where the temperature changes rapidly
    2) Real-time pace fluctuates pretty wildly - Average pace and lap pace seem fine
    3) Some crashing when following courses
    Other minor bugs.
    None of the above bothers me, but they are a cause of consternation for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Lizzy C wrote: »

I'm fairly technologically challenged and I find it no bother to use at all. You get used to it - at least you have a bit of time to get used to it. I love it, couldn't be without it :)[/Quoa
    Thanks all. i was going to get the 210 as i didnt want too complex a watch but the 410 was the same price so went with that off amazon uk fov 164 sterling. might be few exrta features i would use so for similar money i said id try it. any reason why the 410 and 210 are similar price given all xtra features on 410

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerlan

Hi guys,

Anyone else ever have problems with the alert tones on the 405? Mine is about 4 years old now and the alert tones have stopped working all of a sudden. Have tried looking for a fix but the only solution seems to be to open it up. Don't fancy doing that.

Anyone know of a fix or is it just time for an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Hi All,
    i know a few here create advanced workouts in garmin connect, it's something i've only started using lately, i've got an old forerunner 405, nearly 5 years old, but i've noticed that anytime i send a workout, it overwrite the previously stored one.

Does the 405 only store one advanced workout?
    Presume new garmins hold several?
    Thanks

jfh wrote: »
    Hi All,
    i know a few here create advanced workouts in garmin connect, it's something i've only started using lately, i've got an old forerunner 405, nearly 5 years old, but i've noticed that anytime i send a workout, it overwrite the previously stored one.

Does the 405 only store one advanced workout?
    Presume new garmins hold several?
    Thanks
    Hi jfh, that seems to be a limitation of Advanced Workouts in Garmin Connect and the 405. If uploading from Garmin Training Centre, you can select a number of Advanced workouts (~15-20) and upload them simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks Krusty, speedy reply as ever, i havn't used the GTC yet, might check it out, the garmin connect site seems a lot more user friendly.
    that's a big shortfall. I don't see the benefit of upgrading garmins as the 405 is still working fine, i'll just upload the session as i need it.
    thanks again

jfh wrote: »
    thanks Krusty, speedy reply as ever, i havn't used the GTC yet, might check it out, the garmin connect site seems a lot more user friendly.
    that's a big shortfall. I don't see the benefit of upgrading garmins as the 405 is still working fine, i'll just upload the session as i need it.
    thanks again
    Yeah, I agree. I just sold my 405 recently and it worked perfectly for me for 5 years (and around 9,000 miles). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Garmin Connect does seem a little more user friendly at first, but once you get the hang of training centre, creating Advanced Workouts is a piece of pi$$. In fact, I find it easier than Garmin Connect for Advanced workouts (though I haven't used GC in a while) as that whole mouse drag and drop thing was a little dis-functional. I still use GC for tracking all my activities, and just use GTC for creating the workouts.

• Advertisement

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Hi Tomred1N, I bought a Garmin 410 (with heart rate monitor) about six weeks ago - I ordered it on a Monday evening and it arrived by Thursday (did pay a few pounds extra to get quick delivery) as needed it for Half Marathon which was on that Saturday. It worked out at 220 euro (175 Stg), I think. Bought it from Amazon.co.uk, it was sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

I ordered one of these on thursady the 18th October on amazon dispathed on friday the 19th October (paid the bit extra for 3-4 day delivery.... expected delivery date was 24th October. Still no sign of it today. I have eamiled amazon but heard nothing back yet. Will try the sorting office in the morning but if it aint there then I'll be bck to the Endomundo and the phone on Monday! Not ideal as with myself , the phone belt and gel belt I have enough weight to be carrying :mad:

I ordered one of these on thursady the 18th October on amazon dispathed on friday the 19th October (paid the bit extra for 3-4 day delivery.... expected delivery date was 24th October. Still no sign of it today. I have eamiled amazon but heard nothing back yet. Will try the sorting office in the morning but if it aint there then I'll be bck to the Endomundo and the phone on Monday! Not ideal as with myself , the phone belt and gel belt I have enough weight to be carrying :mad:
    With a marathon on Monday, a couple of days beforehand is not really the right time to be strapping on a new watch and hoping for the best! Like gels, you should probably practice with a new watch. At the end of the day, the most useful tool you can have during marathon is a basic stopwatch and a printed pacing band. The pacers at the expo will be handing out pacing bands for various time segments. Otherwise, make your own, and cover it in sellotape. It's pretty fool-proof (as long as the mile markers are in the right place!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Nothing stopping you calling into your local shop and buying one tomorrow and returning the one you get from amazon. You did leave it very last minute. Amazon list expected delivery date. An Post are a tad slower in this chain. Complaining to amazon is going to get you nowhere and only add stress that you don't need. A watch, phone or otherwise won't run the race for you Monday but it can prevent you from doing well sue to getting stressed/worried about it if you make it. Perhaps you could borrow one from a friend etc for the day as a backup ? Failing that, go to the expo and buy a watch.

rom wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you calling into your local shop and buying one tomorrow and returning the one you get from amazon. You did leave it very last minute. Amazon list expected delivery date. An Post are a tad slower in this chain. Complaining to amazon is going to get you nowhere and only add stress that you don't need. A watch, phone or otherwise won't run the race for you Monday but it can prevent you from doing well sue to getting stressed/worried about it if you make it. Perhaps you could borrow one from a friend etc for the day as a backup ? Failing that, go to the expo and buy a watch.

only thought of getting a watch in last few weeks as the phone was perfect for what i had been doing up to now. still is except for having to wear a gel belt. was going to get a forerunner 10 but i want to continue training after this marathon and i decided on advice here to get 410 so i can monitor hr and train bit smarter for next marathon.( need especially to run lsr a bit slower to burn more fat) Will get a pace band and stop watch if it dont arrive tomorrow but i saw the 410 in a shop in cork for 400 euro and dont even think it had hr monitor. so wont be buying one in any shop here. if i do get it in time i wont be using any advanced features, just pace, distance and lap times per mile so should really be able to figure this out over the weekend ...hopefully.....thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

only thought of getting a watch in last few weeks as the phone was perfect for what i had been doing up to now. still is except for having to wear a gel belt. was going to get a forerunner 10 but i want to continue training after this marathon and i decided on advice here to get 410 so i can monitor hr and train bit smarter for next marathon.( need especially to run lsr a bit slower to burn more fat) Will get a pace band and stop watch if it dont arrive tomorrow but i saw the 410 in a shop in cork for 400 euro and dont even think it had hr monitor. so wont be buying one in any shop here. if i do get it in time i wont be using any advanced features, just pace, distance and lap times per mile so should really be able to figure this out over the weekend ...hopefully.....thanks anyway

you could just run with a pacer too and save yourself the stress. there will be one for every 15 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Any point in me looking at any other model than the Forerunner 10 (FR10) considering all I want to do is track distance covered and time taken?

Any point in me looking at any other model than the Forerunner 10 (FR10) considering all I want to do is track distance covered and time taken?
    I wouldn't think so, no. Unless you decide at a later date to do advanced workouts, like intervals etc, and don't have access to a track or fixed distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

hi

I got a new 405 off of Garmin because my old one died. I've registered the new device but it wont communicate with my computer. I've reset the garmin, looked through every menu everywhere etc. What am I forgetting to do??

Its driving me crazy. All this just before DCM!

hi

I got a new 405 off of Garmin because my old one died. I've registered the new device but it wont communicate with my computer. I've reset the garmin, looked through every menu everywhere etc. What am I forgetting to do??
    Have you paired the watch with the USB ANT stick/computer? You need to make sure pairing is enabled for both the USB Ant agent and the watch.

Going to "Settings", "Ant +", "Computer", "pairing" is ON.

It always has been. Is there something else to configure?

When I click "upload" on the garmin site, it can detect my device but cannot doesnt detect any new activities despite the fact that I have run on it today.

• Advertisement

Going to "Settings", "Ant +", "Computer", "pairing" is ON.

It always has been. Is there something else to configure?

When I click "upload" on the garmin site, it can detect my device but cannot doesnt detect any new activities despite the fact that I have run on it today.
    Is pairing enabled on the USB ant stick also? Right-click the icon in the task bar and check to see if it is enabled. If you have not paired the new watch to the USB stick, then there will not be a connection between the two and you will not be able to transfer data. You will know if they were paired, as you would have been asked to accept the conection on the watch, and you may also have to supply your credentials for Garmin Connect, If you haven't done these things then they're not paired. When you click upload in Garmin Connect, what you are seeing is the profile for the previous watch.

Garmin Connect never connects directly to the watch. What it does is check the profile on the computer to see if any new activities have been uploaded. Right now it's checking the old watch profile. 'Pairing' will create a new watch profile.

Is pairing enabled on the USB ant stick also? Right-click the icon in the task bar and check to see if it is enabled. If you have not paired the new watch to the USB stick, then there will not be a connection between the two and you will not be able to transfer data. You will know if they were paired, as you would have been asked to accept the conection on the watch, and you may also have to supply your credentials for Garmin Connect, If you haven't done these things then they're not paired. When you click upload in Garmin Connect, what you are seeing is the profile for the previous watch.

Garmin Connect never connects directly to the watch. What it does is check the profile on the computer to see if any new activities have been uploaded. Right now it's checking the old watch profile. 'Pairing' will create a new watch profile.

Ok. Thanks G. I hadn't enable pairing on the stick. (It's all probably clearly explained in the instructions but they're long lost).

Very much appreciate your help. Prob see you Mon.

Ok. Thanks G. I hadn't enable pairing on the stick. (It's all probably clearly explained in the instructions but they're long lost).

Very much appreciate your help. Prob see you Mon.
    It's all a little over-complicated to be honest. Don't know why they couldn't just transfer data down the charging cable, instead of having the whole thing wireless. Best of luck on Monday. God Batman-speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys

My wife is getting me a running watch for xmas (up to now i have been using the iphone) and has asked me to pick one out, the budget is €200.

The 410 has caught my eye as being one of the best value advanced watches on the market at the moment.
    I am looking for something that will have a HR monitor, and calculate my pace, distance as the main components. I also like the feature where you can race against a previous activity.

Should I be looking only at the 410 or is there any other watch that would be good to look at?

Regards
    Tommy

tommycahir wrote: »
    Should I be looking only at the 410 or is there any other watch that would be good to look at?
    It's a good choice Tommy, particularly if you can buy it on Amazon.co.uk when they have their occasional sales, where they typically drop the price to £135.

There are cheaper watches (like the Forerunner 10) that do less, but in terms of buying a watch that supports advanced features (like advanced workouts) the 410 is very good value for money. They bezel is a bit of an annoyance, but you get used to it after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

I bought a second hand 405 a while back and have had an ongoing problem where after around 45 minutes of running the watch goes into a cycle of shutting down and starting up. This happens on a continuous loop for about 20 minutes during which I can't interact with the watch in anyway. During this the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then starts up again, shows the time/date screen for a few seconds, then shuts down, stays blank for a few seconds etc. etc.

Have tried a master reset, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Any solutions, or is it just that I bought a dodgy watch?

Peckham wrote: »
    Any solutions, or is it just that I bought a dodgy watch?
    Sounds like a dodgy watch. Don't suppose there is a firmware update available?
    Might be worth seeing if you can push a firmware build to it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Evening all -
    Here's the scoop. Garmin 410 purchased about 5 weeks ago, did a good few training runs on it - seemed to work ok even though it would beep sometimes during a run and I wouldn't know why (this was not the normal km beep and as I was running I never got to check what it was saying). Uploading seemed fine etc. So, on Marathon day I'm lining up at the start line and the Garmin now shows a completely different set of stats (lap and total lap time or something crap that I wasn't used to). Two guys beside me tried to fix it to no avail - so I ended up doing the marathon with just the lap time showing which was a real pain.
    My question is this - The instruction manual gives you three different training 'data field' pages to choose from. How do you select which one you want to see when you run? And why does my 410 keep showing me the same **** one that was on the marathon? I don't see an option to select which one I want to use. The instruction manual shows you how to select which stats you want to show - but it doesn't tell you how to choose which set you want to use. Any help would be much appreciated. (I know you can turn 2 and 3 off so only 1 will show but I still keep seeing the same ****ty lap time as soon as I start a training run.:mad:

Evening all -
    Here's the scoop. Garmin 410 purchased about 5 weeks ago, did a good few training runs on it - seemed to work ok even though it would beep sometimes during a run and I wouldn't know why (this was not the normal km beep and as I was running I never got to check what it was saying). Uploading seemed fine etc. So, on Marathon day I'm lining up at the start line and the Garmin now shows a completely different set of stats (lap and total lap time or something crap that I wasn't used to). Two guys beside me tried to fix it to no avail - so I ended up doing the marathon with just the lap time showing which was a real pain.
    My question is this - The instruction manual gives you three different training 'data field' pages to choose from. How do you select which one you want to see when you run? And why does my 410 keep showing me the same **** one that was on the marathon? I don't see an option to select which one I want to use. The instruction manual shows you how to select which stats you want to show - but it doesn't tell you how to choose which set you want to use. Any help would be much appreciated. (I know you can turn 2 and 3 off so only 1 will show but I still keep seeing the same ****ty lap time as soon as I start a training run.:mad:
    You tap the bezel to move between data screens. If you don't want to move between data screens, you lock the bezel (press both buttons together). The beeping noise is probably noise produced as you move from one data screen to the next. You can also turn off the other data screens. All in the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

OK thanks KK. I think I may speak for many 'beginner Garmin users' in that once I start a training run my fear is that any messing around with the watch during a run may end up stopping the timer or something, so I do nothing - At the Marathon I just locked the bezel for the run as I was afraid of messing up the recording of the run. Give us an idiots guide on this - can you mess around with everything while it's timing a run as long as you don't do - what.
    BTW - you gave me some advice before the Marathon (I had done the MWM and lots of hill runs) - I finished in 4h28. Took it real slow, spoke to a mate of my mate Bob called Rene at the RDS on the Sat before the race and he said chill the jets bigtime at the beginning as it was my first road marathon. I did a negative split (second 21k was about 8 minutes fasterthan first) - but thanks again for your help mate. I will be back....

Advertisement