Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

. It really should, given that Polar HRM watches (with no GPS functionality) give you a calorie figure

Slight clarification - you can also get the calorie figure from the Polar HRM GPS functionality too.

RC3 GPS is integrated GPS and gives all the info you'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Make 'rom' an offer. He's always complaining about his!

after some frank negotiating with the other half it has been decided I can have the 610 for Christmas....no excuse not to enter DCM 2013 now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Has anybody had problems after replacing a battery in their HRM. Mine died a couple of months ago and got a replacement battery from local jeweller. HRM worked fine but readings were very high i.e. 240bpm for a recovery run that was normally 130 etc. Gave it a week or so to settle down but no change.

Thought the connection might have been dodgy so opened it up again and noticed battery had leaked inside. Not sure when this happened exactly.

Should I try to clean it out and try a replacement battery again or get a replacement? Is there anything special about the type of battery needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Should I try to clean it out and try a replacement battery again or get a replacement? Is there anything special about the type of battery needed?
    There isn't anything special about the battery. Try and clean it out. Nothing to lose really. A replacement HRM strap will cost you upwards of €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Has anybody had problems after replacing a battery in their HRM. Mine died a couple of months ago and got a replacement battery from local jeweller. HRM worked fine but readings were very high i.e. 240bpm for a recovery run that was normally 130 etc. Gave it a week or so to settle down but no change.

Thought the connection might have been dodgy so opened it up again and noticed battery had leaked inside. Not sure when this happened exactly.

Having tried many different batteries with the aid of a multimeter I can say that issue are rarely battery related. If you are getting a reading it is not the battery. If it is a soft strap version then take it off the strap and check for rust. scratch off the rust and clean with a white spirit like vodka , if its either version then clan the contacts with vodka also as it will leave no residue. Washing the stap in soapy water and leaving it dry for a few days seems to help also. I only presume that the sweat and salt in it makes the contacts connect when they shouldn't or something like that so washing the sweat out of the strap seems to improve it. You need to wait till its is dry to use it agian though.

• Advertisement

There isn't anything special about the battery. Try and clean it out. Nothing to lose really. A replacement HRM strap will cost you upwards of €40.
    rom wrote: »
    Having tried many different batteries with the aid of a multimeter I can say that issue are rarely battery related. If you are getting a reading it is not the battery. If it is a soft strap version then take it off the strap and check for rust. scratch off the rust and clean with a white spirit like vodka , if its either version then clan the contacts with vodka also as it will leave no residue. Washing the stap in soapy water and leaving it dry for a few days seems to help also. I only presume that the sweat and salt in it makes the contacts connect when they shouldn't or something like that so washing the sweat out of the strap seems to improve it. You need to wait till its is dry to use it agian though.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have the hard strap. Will get another battery and give it a good clean out and try again before investing in a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

so my 610 just arrived......it's meant to be a Christmas present.....will be hard to avoid temptation and get stuck in...!

statss wrote: »
    so my 610 just arrived......it's meant to be a Christmas present.....will be hard to avind temptation and get stuck in...!
    Santa knows who has been naughty and who has been nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BullBauld

So I'm getting a 410 for Christmas from my family. Really excited about it already. Is that sad.

Although I wont be using all functions to start with I plan to grow into it over time.

I definitely need more structure to my weekly runs.

BullBauld wrote: »
    Is that sad?
    Not in my book! :o
    BullBauld wrote: »
    I definitely need more structure to my weekly runs.
    Remember, you will still need some kind of plan. The watch won't tell you what to do; just how fast you are doing it and for how long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 goo_goo_doll

Where is the best place to buy a 305 or 310? Any place I've checked they are still very pricey.

Where is the best place to buy a 305 or 310? Any place I've checked they are still very pricey.
    The 305 is now an expensive watch, as it is no longer manufactured and for some reason, availability seems to have driven up the price. The 310 is also an expensive watch. Best deals are probably from Amazon.co.uk or Handtec.co.uk. If you know someone travelling to the US (or more specifically travelling back from the US (The gathering?!) by far the cheapest option is to purchase the watch over there and have them bring it back to you. It's currently $211 on Amazon.com, which is around €165 (it's around €222 from Amazon.co.uk).

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Not in my book! :o

Remember, you will still need some kind of plan. The watch won't tell you what to do; just how fast you are doing it and for how long.

Oh I know I need to plan better myself...just looking forward to the new peice of kit although the pros/cons thread is making me feel a bit less excited :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goo_goo_doll

The 305 is now an expensive watch, as it is no longer manufactured and for some reason, availability seems to have driven up the price. The 310 is also an expensive watch. Best deals are probably from Amazon.co.uk or Handtec.co.uk. If you know someone travelling to the US (or more specifically travelling back from the US (The gathering?!) by far the cheapest option is to purchase the watch over there and have them bring it back to you. It's currently $211 on Amazon.com, which is around €165 (it's around €222 from Amazon.co.uk).

Thanks Krusty

Has anyone had an issue with HR readings after changing the battery? Originally my Easy pace was around 130bpm and my max HR around 165. I have changed the battery twice now and the resting HR seems fime but when I exercise it is giving readings over 200. For example average HR for 6 miles pretty handy last night shows as 190.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue. BTW its a garmin 405 I use.

Has anyone had an issue with HR readings after changing the battery? Originally my Easy pace was around 130bpm and my max HR around 165. I have changed the battery twice now and the resting HR seems fime but when I exercise it is giving readings over 200. For example average HR for 6 miles pretty handy last night shows as 190.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue. BTW its a garmin 405 I use.
    Can you give us a link?

Can you give us a link?

Here ya go. the first 11 minutes look normal enough. The 2 dips showing later on were stopping after a lap completed for everyone to gather up but all in all it was steady running.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/243727862

Here ya go. the first 11 minutes look normal enough. The 2 dips showing later on were stopping after a lap completed for everyone to gather up but all in all it was steady running.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/243727862
    Did you do anything that you would not usually do when wearing the HRM? For example, wearing two tops instead of one (which might generate additional static). It's unusual that the first few minutes are fine, and the HRM runs into trouble later. Have you used it since?

Did you do anything that you would not usually do when wearing the HRM? For example, wearing two tops instead of one (which might generate additional static). It's unusual that the first few minutes are fine, and the HRM runs into trouble later. Have you used it since?

Had a long sleeve skin type top under normal running top. Will be doing park run in the morning so will see how that works out.

Thanks for feedback KC

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Hi there, recently got a garmin 410 +hr. was working fine getting used to it but today i cannot get it to pick up hr monitor. Paired initially and was working fine. have rescaned but it just always has status of searching. any ideas anyone. thanks

• Advertisement

tomred1N wrote: »
    Hi there, recently got a garmin 410 +hr. was working fine getting used to it but today i cannot get it to pick up hr monitor. Paired initially and was working fine. have rescaned but it just always has status of searching. any ideas anyone. thanks
    Could the battery be gone? Was the battery already in the unit when you bought it?

Could the battery be gone? Was the battery already in the unit when you bought it?
    Yes battery was in the unit when purchased. only been used for about 5 hours and always take it off the strap.

Yes battery was in the unit when purchased. only been used for about 5 hours and always take it off the strap.
    Was there a pull-tab/strip to engage the battery? If not, the battery may be dead.

Had a long sleeve skin type top under normal running top. Will be doing park run in the morning so will see how that works out.

Thanks for feedback KC

Hi Krusty,

See run from Saturday attached. As you can see looks fine for about 12.5 minutes and then off the charts again. Had no layers on just a short sleeve technical top.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244786229

Hi Krusty,

See run from Saturday attached. As you can see looks fine for about 12.5 minutes and then off the charts again. Had no layers on just a short sleeve technical top.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244786229
    Yep, it's fecked. :) Actually, it only seems to behave for the first four minutes, as it seems too regular after that. I would try giving it a good clean, then changing the battery again, after that, I'm not sure what you can do. You could have someone else pair it to their watch and see what readings they get (or try a different HR strap with your watch), just to eliminate any chance that the problem may be the watch.

Was there a pull-tab/strip to engage the battery? If not, the battery may be dead.

No there was no pull tab strip. its s sealed unit so didnt expect one. it worked fine for first few runs. will try a new battery. Do you know the battery name as i may try to get one somewhere this afternoon and dont have hrm with me..thanks

No there was no pull tab strip. its s sealed unit so didnt expect one. it worked fine for first few runs. will try a new battery. Do you know the battery name as i may try to get one somewhere this afternoon and dont have hrm with me..thanks

Hi i got a new battrry for the hrm. still will not connect to watch. i bought this on amazon. does anyone know if i should return just the hrm or the watch and hrm?

Hi i got a new battrry for the hrm. still will not connect to watch. i bought this on amazon. does anyone know if i should return just the hrm or the watch and hrm?
    Have you re-paired the watch with the HRM?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I had this recently where the HR readings were off the wall. Put up with it for a while but last night took out the battery, gave it a clean, (only got it in April so it wasn't dirty!). Ran the the Irish Life BHAA CC this morning and normal service was restored. :)

Those battery screws were desperately cumbersome and small. Garmin should buy a polar strap and copy some of their ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

geld wrote: »
    Ran the the Irish Life BHAA CC this morning and normal service was restored. :)
    ...spoke to soon.:( 1st mile in this morning's run was fine but the remaining four varied from 119 bpm to 228 bpm. Basically all over the place. Only thing of note is that it all went haywire after I had to stop at a railway crossing. Maybe it can't hack a change of pace?

Advertisement