Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Maybe I've missed this before but, training Plans added to Garmin Connect:
    Can be viewed here once you log in.
    Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Plans for 5k, HM and Marathon, haven't had a chance to go through them yet.

Got that idea from Polar :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Can someone tell me the best way to calculate your resting heart rate,just got a Garmin 410 and still trying figure it out .Is it just a case of putting on the heart rate strap and taking a reading on the watch.The two runs I've done so far with the watch the heart rate starts at 98 & 89 which I think look a bit high,maybe I was just excited with my new toy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tenreds wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the best way to calculate your resting heart rate,just got a Garmin 410 and still trying figure it out .Is it just a case of putting on the heart rate strap and taking a reading on the watch.The two runs I've done so far with the watch the heart rate starts at 98 & 89 which I think look a bit high,maybe I was just excited with my new toy :D
    Resting heart rate is your heart rate in the morning, before you get up (e.g. at its lowest possible value). I calculate mine using a smart phone application. I suppose you could use your Garmin and HR strap, but the process of putting it on and getting it working properly elevates your heart rate. You can also just check your pulse. No need to over complicate the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I calculate mine using a smart phone application.

There's an app for that?! What is it?

There's an app for that?! What is it?
    Check out this thread:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056759018?page=1#post_80844888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Resting heart rate is your heart rate in the morning, before you get up (e.g. at its lowest possible value). I calculate mine using a smart phone application. I suppose you could use your Garmin and HR strap, but the process of putting it on and getting it working properly elevates your heart rate. You can also just check your pulse. No need to over complicate the process.

If you put the HRM on first thing in the morning and lie back down for a few minutes to let it settle, you should be close enough, Obviously measure it before any caffiene intake.

huskerdu wrote: »
    If you put the HRM on first thing in the morning and lie back down for a few minutes to let it settle, you should be close enough, Obviously measure it before any caffiene intake.
    You may need to wet the sensors and/or the early HR values may be spiking. From my own experience, I'd go with one of the other two methods. If you have a smart-phone, then using the Instant Heart rate app is the most simple and reliable approach. Failing that, I'd go with the pulse option. Having said that, I haven't had a working battery in my Garmin HRM strap for around 6 months, so perhaps I'm more opposed to the idea because I don't use it much any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bopbuddy

Howdy Folks,
    You might be able to help on this one,
    i just registered my 410 garmin, ATN agent downloaded and working.
    ATN agent says data transfer successful but it's not showing up when i loggon to Gamrin connect and go to analyze activities?
    I've tried to force send data ans again it says transfer successful but there are no activities showing... and yes i did actually go for a run:)

any help you could give would be great

Confused runner:confused:

So, where is it transferring to? If you right click the ANT agent, go to [Device Settings] and select your device, do you have [Send to Garmin Connect] selected?

Did you authenticate to your Garmin Connect account, after pairing the watch with the USB Ant stick? You would have needed to enter your GC username and password.

Worth checking to see if the files uploaded to your computer. They should have uploaded to a folder like:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<device number>\History

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Is there any way on the 610 to turn off vibration alerts for the power save warnings, but keep the vibration alerts for everything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Came back from my first cycle with my new Garmin610 and uploaded data. HRM worked perfectly but my top speed was 135mph!
    Any ideas why that is?? 0_o?

Yet I can't see on th graph where I supposedly hit 135mph.

Obviously mistake!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261076000

Thanks

iancairns wrote: »
    Came back from my first cycle with my new Garmin610 and uploaded data. HRM worked perfectly but my top speed was 135mph!
    Any ideas why that is?? 0_o?

Yet I can't see on th graph where I supposedly hit 135mph.

Obviously mistake!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261076000

Thanks
    You can see it on the graph, if you zoom in. Just a blip. Make sure that you have good satellite coverage/accuracy before you start your workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You can see it on the graph, if you zoom in. Just a blip. Make sure that you have good satellite coverage/accuracy before you start your workout.

The fastest pace on the Garmin always gives me a good laugh.

I did a 14km run the other day with an average pace of 6.21min/km, but seemingly the fastest pace was 1.38min/km, which faster than WR pace for the womens 100m. I'd only have to keep that up for 10 seconds to break the womens 100m world record. I can still dream......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

so i finally got the footpod, and got to use it this morning, all excited.
    except the thing is wildly inaccurate. watch kept going into auto pause.
    at end of my 40 min, the watch showed only 22 min :eek:
    i calibrated it yesterday by running a few miles with the GPS on, is there something else i'm supposed to do?

So, where is it transferring to? If you right click the ANT agent, go to [Device Settings] and select your device, do you have [Send to Garmin Connect] selected?

Did you authenticate to your Garmin Connect account, after pairing the watch with the USB Ant stick? You would have needed to enter your GC username and password.

Worth checking to see if the files uploaded to your computer. They should have uploaded to a folder like:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<device number>\History

Hi Krusty,
    Thanks for getting back to me and I'm sorry i couldn't reply to you prompt response before this,
    1. Yes i have Garmin connect selected
    2. I think i authenticated but I'm not 100% sure... do you know how i can check this?
    3. Yes the files uploaded to the folder

bopbuddy wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,
    Thanks for getting back to me and I'm sorry i couldn't reply to you prompt response before this,
    1. Yes i have Garmin connect selected
    2. I think i authenticated but I'm not 100% sure... do you know how i can check this?
    3. Yes the files uploaded to the folder

Well, (3) above is good news, as you can always log into your Garmin account and upload manually. If you cancelled the authentication process (or didn't notice it as the screen was hidden by other running applications), then that might cause the problems you are experiencing. Two fixes come to mind:

1) Make a back-up of the files in the above folder (just in case).
    2) In the ANT agent device settings, remove your device (this will remove the pairing between your watch and the computer. It may also remove the profile/files, so I hope you backed them up).
    3) Turn pairing back on (on the watch and the ANT agent application).
    4) Pair the watch and ANT agent, and hopefully this time it will ask you to authenticate to your Garmin Connect account. Enter your GC login details.

Hopefully that'll sort it.

Well, (3) above is good news, as you can always log into your Garmin account and upload manually. If you cancelled the authentication process (or didn't notice it as the screen was hidden by other running applications), then that might cause the problems you are experiencing. Two fixes come to mind:

1) Make a back-up of the files in the above folder (just in case).
    2) In the ANT agent device settings, remove your device (this will remove the pairing between your watch and the computer. It may also remove the profile/files, so I hope you backed them up).
    3) Turn pairing back on (on the watch and the ANT agent application).
    4) Pair the watch and ANT agent, and hopefully this time it will ask you to authenticate to your Garmin Connect account. Enter your GC login details.

Hopefully that'll sort it.

Howdy Krusty,
    I turned the pairing off on the Forerunner and removed the device from the ATN Agent turned the pairing back on and paired the devices however it didn't ask me to Authenticate, I've emailed Garmin the problem and I'm awaiting a response from them...
    :(

iancairns wrote: »
    Sorry for another question but went for 13mile run to East Pier last night in Dun Laoghaire but foolishly forgot my watch. Still getting used to owning it.

Anywya really want to add the run to Garmin Connect but the site only lets you create a course but not to add it as an activity. Is this correct?

I also tried creating a map/activity on mapmyrun and then importing as a .gpx file, but thats not working also?

Anyone else have an idea?

Thanks!
    You can't create an activity from mapmyrun, as it doesn't contain any track-points, speed information, etc. It's just a sequence of directions (though you should be able to create a course from it).
    Usually when I forget my watch, I measure the distance using mapmyrun and then just create a manual activity in Garmin Connect and plug in the total distance and total time. Any reason why you need to map it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

quick question. Garmin 405 - 2 years old. a lot of mileage on it. it now wont turn on. if you connect it to the charger it comes to life. disconnect the charger and it dies with in 2 minutes. is the battery F'd? thanks

quick question. Garmin 405 - 2 years old. a lot of mileage on it. it now wont turn on. if you connect it to the charger it comes to life. disconnect the charger and it dies with in 2 minutes. is the battery F'd? thanks
    Sure sounds like the battery. Here's a video that describes how it can be changed, but needless to say, it's not an authorized repair, and could result n killing the watch completely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A long shot. I have the jack daniels book but was wondering is the 10k training program available anywhere for the garmin.

Dont really want to do it all on the garmin connect tonight.

Thks.

A long shot. I have the jack daniels book but was wondering is the 10k training program available anywhere for the garmin.

Dont really want to do it all on the garmin connect tonight.

Thks.
    Are you talking about the 5k-15k program? I've had much of it created as workouts on my watch, which I could probably rustle up, but the pace information would be specific to my own performances/vdot.

I still find it a lot easier to create workouts in Garmin Training Centre by the way. I find creating them in a browser, slow and finicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Are you talking about the 5k-15k program? I've had much of it created as workouts on my watch, which I could probably rustle up, but the pace information would be specific to my own performances/vdot.

I still find it a lot easier to create workouts in Garmin Training Centre by the way. I find creating them in a browser, slow and finicky.

Cheers, looks like i be better creating my own version.

Have to find my USB garmin vob now. Wonder where could a 2 1/2 year old child put it!!:(

Cheers, looks like i be better creating my own version.

Have to find my USB garmin vob now. Wonder where could a 2 1/2 year old child put it!!:(
    Check the U-Bend in the toilet. That's usually a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

loads of information on this thread! i've decided after 6 months of running to make the move from smartphone+endomondo to a garmin 410. i'd seen the advice here that there's deal to be had occasionally on amazon and there's a very decent deal at the moment for the 410 with hrm for less than £140 sterling, but they won't deliver to ireland.

there's other sellers through amazon who do deliver to here but the cheapest of them is around £180 sterling. if i wait a while will one of the "ireland delivery" ones come down to about £140? or will i have to figure out how to get a package from the uk to here? don't know anyone over there so any advice on how to get around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

My Garmin 410 has stopped working, i did try to do a master reset but when i press the 2 buttons simultenously bezel locked or unlocked keeps appearing on the screen even after holding the buttons for 20 seconds or more the garmin will still not turn off. Bezel locked/unlocked also appears on the screen even when i only press the start/stop button on its own. Twice i have charged the Garmin fully and the next day it has gone back to 0%battery.

I got onto Garmin about it and they said i might need updates, i did this last night but nothing came through to the watch.

Anyone be able to suggest anything?

loads of information on this thread! i've decided after 6 months of running to make the move from smartphone+endomondo to a garmin 410. i'd seen the advice here that there's deal to be had occasionally on amazon and there's a very decent deal at the moment for the 410 with hrm for less than £140 sterling, but they won't deliver to ireland.
    They should deliver to Ireland and for free too, unless it's a third-party seller on Amazon. It looks like it is despatched from and sold by Amazon. Did you try to order the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ok, Ok I know I should RTFM, but.....
    ....has anyone transitioned an old Garmin to someone else?
    So the OH has started running which is fantastic and I'm giving her my old 405.
    So I reckon I'll need to:
    - create a Garmin Connect account for her
    - add her as profile to TC
    - link the 405 to her profile, so her activities don't appear under mine.
    Anything I'm missing, is there a 'Giva Giva Giva Garmin to someone else guide for dummies'?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ok, Ok I know I should RTFM, but.....
    ....has anyone transitioned an old Garmin to someone else?
    So the OH has started running which is fantastic and I'm giving her my old 405.
    So I reckon I'll need to:
    - create a Garmin Connect account for her
    - add her as profile to TC
    - link the 405 to her profile, so her activities don't appear under mine.
    Anything I'm missing, is there a 'Giva Giva Giva Garmin to someone else guide for dummies'?
    You've pretty much got it spot-on, though to be honest, adding an additional profile within training centre and synching two accounts is more trouble than it's worth. Does she need her workouts stored in TC? All of the workouts will be stored directly on the machine anyway in separate folders per device. One further thing you need to do is delete the existing 405 profile from the ANT agent software, otherwise it'll continue to send them to your account. Then you'll need to 're-pair' the watch with the ANT agent but this time supply her GC credentials.

Finally, start hiding your running gear (hats, gloves, hi-viz, etc.). Anything unisex, really. That'll be next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Finally, start hiding your running gear (hats, gloves, hi-viz, etc.). Anything unisex, really. That'll be next.

Ha - that's already started :(

Advertisement