Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

They should deliver to Ireland and for free too, unless it's a third-party seller on Amazon. It looks like it is despatched from and sold by Amazon. Did you try to order the item?

yeah, i have and when i go to checkout it says it can't deliver to my address - i've tried the german and u.s. amazon sites as well and the same thing happens.

however, i've just tried again and it's gone through! i think what happened over was that a third-party seller was the default option over the weekend and they wouldn't deliver and i just hadn't check ed the default seller since.

anyway, all sorted now and looking forward to playing with m new toy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

hi all, my garmin has been going from a fully charged state at night to completely dead the following morning, i usually unplug when it's fully charged nefore going to bed so i can use it first thing in the morning.
    it does hold the charge for the entire run, & does charge up to 100%
    watch is about 4 years, it that the life of them?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

jfh wrote: »
    hi all, my garmin has been going from a fully charged state at night to completely dead the following morning, i usually unplug when it's fully charged nefore going to bed so i can use it first thing in the morning.
    it does hold the charge for the entire run, & does charge up to 100%
    watch is about 4 years, it that the life of them?
    thanks
    Which model is it, the battery life is very different for different models.
    I assume you mean that you leave it on all night and don't power it down.
    Have you always done this, and its only sstarted happending recently.

Battery degradation after 4 years would be normal.

The simple advice is to power it off when fully charged and switch it on in the morning. Whether you leave it on or not all night, it is still going to have to lock to the satellites before your run, so it shouldn't delay you.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Which model is it, the battery life is very different for different models.
    I assume you mean that you leave it on all night and don't power it down.
    Have you always done this, and its only sstarted happending recently.

Battery degradation after 4 years would be normal.

The simple advice is to power it off when fully charged and switch it on in the morning. Whether you leave it on or not all night, it is still going to have to lock to the satellites before your run, so it shouldn't delay you.

sorry huskerdu, should have specified model, rushing, it's the 405 so cannot be switched off, i only turn on GPS when i'm ready for the run. i presume it's automatically goes into power save mode itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jfh wrote: »
    sorry huskerdu, should have specified model, rushing, it's the 405 so cannot be switched off, i only turn on GPS when i'm ready for the run. i presume it's automatically goes into power save mode itself?
    It sounds like your battery is on the way out, as if you have GPS turned off (and obviously don't have the light on permanently!) there is nothing more you can do to sustain the watch's charge. I bought my 405 in 2008, and it's still going strong (though I don't own it any longer!). The key to sustaining the battery life of a Forerunner watch:
    • Don't bother trying to 'train' the watches' battery memory. This is not necessary on modern lithium-ion batteries
    • Do not do flush cycles, where you charge it fully and run it to empty
    • Do maintain a charge in the watch. Letting it run empty and then not charging it for some time will reduce the life-span of your watch.

• Advertisement

One other point: If you are not going to be using your watch for a while (lets say for example you are injured), the best way to maintain the lifespan of the battery is to leave it approximately 40-50% charged, put it in a plastic bag and store it in your fridge. The exception to this rule of course being the 405/410 family of watches which cannot be turned off, so will discharge, and should be charged periodically.

It sounds like your battery is on the way out, as if you have GPS turned off (and obviously don't have the light on permanently!) there is nothing more you can do to sustain the watch's charge. I bought my 405 in 2008, and it's still going strong (though I don't own it any longer!). The key to sustaining the battery life of a Forerunner watch:
    • Don't bother trying to 'train' the watches' battery memory. This is not necessary on modern lithium-ion batteries
    • Do not do flush cycles, where you charge it fully and run it to empty
    • Do maintain a charge in the watch. Letting it run empty and then not charging it for some time will reduce the life-span of your watch.

yeah i thought so alright, i'll hold onto it as long as possible, interesting about not letting it drain, they used to encourage you to let batteries drain years ago, but now it doesn't seem to matter how many times you charge.
    that 405 is one of the first things i'd grab if the house was burning. it's got history

One other point: If you are not going to be using your watch for a while (lets say for example you are injured), the best way to maintain the lifespan of the battery is to leave it approximately 40-50% charged, put it in a plastic bag and store it in your fridge. The exception to this rule of course being the 405/410 family of watches which cannot be turned off, so will discharge, and should be charged periodically.

really i thought the cold temp would be bad for the battery? you learn something new everyday in here..

The exception to this rule of course being the 405/410 family of watches which cannot be turned off, so will discharge, and should be charged periodically.

Interesting, I have a new 410, after years of a 305. I was so used to switching off the 305 after each use that I was really annoyed that the 410 didnt have an off button. BTW, You can switch it off. It took me ages to find the menu option. Its celarly designed to discourage you from doing so. I stopped bothering after a while.

BTW, You can switch it off.
    How (without whacking it off the edge of the table)?

• Advertisement

How (without whacking it off the edge of the table)?

Menu -> Settings -> System -> Shut Down

Menu -> Settings -> System -> Shut Down
    Oh, that's handy. Must be a 410-specific feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Wait a min. Krusty is the so-called expert here and doesn’t know to switch the watch off?

Fr Clint - I could be wrong but parcel motel allows you to get UK only amazon items delivered to Ireland.
    https://www.parcelmotel.com/how-it-works/

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Wait a min. Krusty is the so-called expert here and doesn’t know to switch the watch off?
    Expert? I don't even own a watch. I measure my pace by the stars. (I'm screwed on cloudy days).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fr Clint - I could be wrong but parcel motel allows you to get UK only amazon items delivered to Ireland.

Correct and your first 2 stays are free!

In fairness to krusty, there's no way to shut down the 405. Well not that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Thanks for that, hopefully have it sorted now anyway but I'll bear that in mind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hate garmin. :(

I just thought I'd share.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi All;

I am sure this is a easy question to answer, but here goes.

I am using the Training Center to setup some training sessions. But the one thing i notice is, that i can't enter the time i like to complete a certain distance.

So for example, i like to do 200m in 45 secs, but how do i enter that 45 secs into the training center tool?

Thanks

You could do it like this:

239469.png

There are two problems with this:
    1) 200m is very short, so it will take 10-15 seconds before you get any usable accuracy from the Garmin (you'll be half way through your rep) and it's also very difficult to read data from the watch while running a 200m rep.
    2) If doing the reps on a track, the pace values are very inaccurate.

If you are doinng it on a track (or 200m straight measure length), then the best thing to do is have a 'time-lap' data field displayed on the watch and hit the lap button as you start. Check your splits at 100m, and remember to hit 'lap' once you hit the 200m mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I've had a FR110 for about 4 months and recently the screen has started to fog when im running in the cold, has anyone else had this and is it indicative of a bigger problem on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭plodder

I've had a FR110 for about 4 months and recently the screen has started to fog when im running in the cold, has anyone else had this and is it indicative of a bigger problem on the way?
    That started to happen on my 4 year old 405 about 4 or 5 months ago. Initially, there didn't seem to be any bad effects. It would usually clear again at home. Then I went out in heavy rain one day and it went completely crazy. I think the seals are perished and are letting in water. When I dried it out, it was fine again. Don't know if that's the same explanation with a 4 month old watch, but the screen fogging doesn't sound good to me.

Garmin claim that it's normal during manufacturing processes to have some residual moisture remaining within the watch, which under specific circumstances will cause fogging. I've experienced fogging on three different Forerunner watches. It has never adversely affected functionality, more of an irritation. For me, it occurs around 3 times per year (out of around 400 runs every year). Typically I would experience it when I start a run on a cool morning and soon afterwards the sun comes out and the watch is in direct sunlight. You could try bringing it back to wherever you bought it, but it is likely that the replacement will also experience the same fogging issue. It just seems like an issue that they have not (or may not) solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Does the calories used calculator on the Garmin have any relationship with reality ? Not that it matters a great deal, but I was out last night and happened to look at the lap-by-lap stats when I got home.
    Lap1 ~8.30 26 Calories
    Lap2 ~7.30 54 Calories
    Lap3 ~7.30 156 Calories

etc.
    etc.

I usually see a rough average of ~100 calories per mile, based on nothing else but the run summary i.e. 10 miles , 980 calories.
    I use a HRM and the watch is the 910XT

PaulieC wrote: »
    Does the calories used calculator on the Garmin have any relationship with reality ? Not that it matters a great deal, but I was out last night and happened to look at the lap-by-lap stats when I got home.
    Lap1 ~8.30 26 Calories
    Lap2 ~7.30 54 Calories
    Lap3 ~7.30 156 Calories

etc.
    etc.

I usually see a rough average of ~100 calories per mile, based on nothing else but the run summary i.e. 10 miles , 980 calories.
    Are those laps a mile long? If so, it looks a bit screwed up alright. I've just started using my HRM again after a long break and it does produce some odd numbers, particularly where the HRM is going through spike phases. Do you have a link to that activity? 100 calories per mile (for an average weight male) is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Lap1 ~8.30 26 Calories
    Lap2 ~7.30 54 Calories
    Lap3 ~7.30 156 Calories

etc.
    etc.

My average is 60 calories per km, and it varies from 59 to 62 and I can't see any correlation between the calories burned and HR, pace, elevation.

Ona positive note, I recently moved from a Garmin 305 to a 410 and due to having a more expensive, nicer looking watch, I am burning slightly more calories per km, than before. I love technology.

Are those laps a mile long? If so, it looks a bit screwed up alright. I've just started using my HRM again after a long break and it does produce some odd numbers, particularly where the HRM is going through spike phases. Do you have a link to that activity? 100 calories per mile (for an average weight male) is a pretty good rule of thumb.

argh! I thought I'd supplied ALL the details. Yes, all laps are a mile. I haven't uploaded the activity yet, will do so over the weekend.

TKS K_C

My average is 60 calories per km, and it varies from 59 to 62 and I can't see any correlation between the calories burned and HR, pace, elevation.

Ona positive note, I recently moved from a Garmin 305 to a 410 and due to having a more expensive, nicer looking watch, I am burning slightly more calories per km, than before. I love technology.

I moved from a 205 with no HRM to a 910 with HRM and went down from ~140 to ~100 calories per mile. I obviously ran differently with my old watch :D

I moved from a 205 with no HRM to a 910 with HRM and went down from ~140 to ~100 calories per mile. I obviously ran differently with my old watch :D

The aerodynamics are totally different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hey,

The Heart Rate Monitor I got with the 610 at Christmas has stopped working. What's the battery life on these lads, surely it wouldn't be gone already?

Advertisement