Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

statss wrote: »
    Hey,

The Heart Rate Monitor I got with the 610 at Christmas has stopped working. What's the battery life on these lads, surely it wouldn't be gone already?
    hi i got a 410 with hrm b4 xmas. had same problem after 2 weeks. would not pick up my hrm. Re paired ,changed battery no difference. then i read instruction again and i think it said something about wearing hrm when pairing. anyway thats what i did and it paired and worked again. no problem since and original battery was also ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I have a 305 which is on it's way out. The battery charge is decreasing run by run (Currently 3h30m). I got the watch second hand so it'd probably cost a lot to get it repaired? Therefore, I think it's time to go looking for a new watch.
    What would people recommend? All 305's appear to be very expensive so what are people's thoughts on alternatives? Or anywhere i could get a cheap 305?

I just require it for running but want auto-lap feature and HR functionality (My HR strap still seems to be good). Also require lap pace/overall av pace/Time/Distance, etc.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

belcarra wrote: »
    I have a 305 which is on it's way out. The battery charge is decreasing run by run (Currently 3h30m). I got the watch second hand so it'd probably cost a lot to get it repaired? Therefore, I think it's time to go looking for a new watch.
    What would people recommend? All 305's appear to be very expensive so what are people's thoughts on alternatives? Or anywhere i could get a cheap 305?

I just require it for running but want auto-lap feature and HR functionality (My HR strap still seems to be good). Also require lap pace/overall av pace/Time/Distance, etc.
    Thanks!
    rom previously linked to a place where you could pick up refurbished 305s. Might be worth a look, though in my opinion, I'd prefer to get a new watch, rather than a refurb, particularly given Garmin failure rates (though the above linked refurbs do have a 12 month warranty).

Based on what you are looking for, pretty much any Garmin would be up to the job (210 model and above). So you could also look at the 4xx range, 310, etc. Amazon is selling the 410 with HR Monitor (which you could sell on, as you have one already) for ~£136. So assuming you'd get €25 for the HRM, that would make the price competitive with a refurb 305. One point though: the battery on the 305 should last longer between charges than the 410 (if the refurb unit includes a new battery).

rom previously linked to a place where you could pick up refurbished 305s. Might be worth a look, though in my opinion, I'd prefer to get a new watch, rather than a refurb, particularly given Garmin failure rates (though the above linked refurbs do have a 12 month warranty).

Based on what you are looking for, pretty much any Garmin would be up to the job (210 model and above). So you could also look at the 4xx range, 310, etc. Amazon is selling the 410 with HR Monitor (which you could sell on, as you have one already) for ~£136. So assuming you'd get €25 for the HRM, that would make the price competitive with a refurb 305. One point though: the battery on the 305 should last longer between charges than the 410 (if the refurb unit includes a new battery).

Thanks for that KC!
    I like the multi-display of the 3xx series so I'm thinking a brand new 310XT might be the way to go. I like the long battery life. Does it pick up signal more quickly than 305? Would it be worth getting the soft HRM strap to avoid spiking?? This one is costed around €155 without HRM (I could still use my own HRM strap from the 305 I assume?).

Thanks for that KC!
    I like the multi-display of the 3xx series so I'm thinking a brand new 310XT might be the way to go. I like the long battery life. Does it pick up signal more quickly than 305? Would it be worth getting the soft HRM strap to avoid spiking?? This one is costed around €155 without HRM (I could still use my own HRM strap from the 305 I assume?).

Yes it should, as it has a significantly newer GPS chipset than the 305. To be honest, the soft strap (by itself) will not significantly improve the HR spiking. I have found that both give similar results. Some recommendations suggest that getting the soft strap and replacing the actual elastic strap part with a polar equivalent provides better results, but I've never given it a try. Yep, you can use your existing HR strap with the 310.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Thanks!

Hi Belcarra,

I got a refurbished 405 from Garmin before christmas. It cost €100, my old one was dead with no hope of recovery. The 'new' one had been working fine so far, although since I'm getting over an injury it isn't been put through it's paces as much. I had to send my broken one to them and got the replacement back in a week or so.

Caprica wrote: »
    Hi Belcarra,

I got a refurbished 405 from Garmin before christmas. It cost €100, my old one was dead with no hope of recovery. The 'new' one had been working fine so far, although since I'm getting over an injury it isn't been put through it's paces as much. I had to send my broken one to them and got the replacement back in a week or so.

Interesting. Mine is second hand though so I assume I'd require a proof of purchase or be within a certain time period? I have mine about 4 years now.
    Do you think there is still a way I could get an outcome like yours??

Hi Belcarra,

That just doesn't represent good value for money in my mind. A refurbished unit with a three month warranty for €100, when you can buy a new 310xt for €150? (or a brand new 405 for €133)?

I could understand if you'd spent €400 on a 910xt that's just gone out of warranty, but when the difference between a new unit (full warranty) and refurbished unit (3 month warranty from Garmin(different from Handtec)) is €30.... It just don't add up....

Not so sure on that Belcarra. I bought mine from Amazon in September 2009. When it I was broken I emailed Garmin customer support looking for a repair but they told me they only do refurbishments, so I went for that.

I had to give the serial number and maybe proof of registration. I don't think you have anything to lose by sending them an email, they will come back in a few days with a reply. So far as I said I have had no problems, also the battery life is much better, with the old one I always seem to be recharging it.

That just doesn't represent good value for money in my mind. A refurbished unit with a three month warranty for €100, when you can buy a new 310xt for €150? (or a brand new 405 for €133)?

I could understand if you'd spent €400 on a 910xt that's just gone out of warranty, but when the difference between a new unit (full warranty) and refurbished unit (3 month warranty from Garmin(different from Handtec)) is €30.... It just don't add up....

After I broke my watch, there was no offers that were that good, I did look around. From my previous Garmin I had no problems at all, so I figured I wouldn't have a problem with this one either, so the lenght of warranty wasn't a big issue.

The 405 for €133 sounds like very good value, I think my 410 cost over €300.

• Advertisement

After I broke my watch, there was no offers that were that good, I did look around. From my previous Garmin I had no problems at all, so I figured I wouldn't have a problem with this one either, so the lenght of warranty wasn't a big issue.

The 405 for €133 sounds like very good value, I think my 410 cost over €300.
    Yep, the prices drop heavily after a year or two. It's €158 for the 410 now, including HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks!

Looking at upgrading my 205 to the 310XT too belcarra. After stalling on me at 24miles in DCM, I've lost faith in the old man. Served me very well though and is still perfect for the most part. Just feel like treating myself! :D

That link you posted for the 310XT looks great value and the best around by the looks of it! You thinking of taking the plunge soon?

blockic wrote: »
    Looking at upgrading my 205 to the 310XT too belcarra. After stalling on me at 24miles in DCM, I've lost faith in the old man. Served me very well though and is still perfect for the most part. Just feel like treating myself! :D

That link you posted for the 310XT looks great value and the best around by the looks of it! You thinking of taking the plunge soon?

I will probably go for it over the next couple of weeks. My Brother needs a 305 charger and my watch is very much on the slippery slope to destruction so it would serve us both well if I just got a new watch and gave him my old charger.
    It will probably not last the full of the 50km in Donadea this week and if that's the case I will look to have a new watch by the time Tralee Marathon comes around on Paddy's weekend.

What's the next race for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I will probably go for it over the next couple of weeks. My Brother needs a 305 charger and my watch is very much on the slippery slope to destruction so it would serve us both well if I just got a new watch and gave him my old charger.
    It will probably not last the full of the 50km in Donadea this week and if that's the case I will look to have a new watch by the time Tralee Marathon comes around on Paddy's weekend.

What's the next race for you?

Makes sense! Go on..treat yourself! :D Bohermeen and then the big one in Rotterdam are next up. I may or may not squeeze a 10km in between if there is one convienient! Hope to have the new watch for Rotterdam.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3rd email gone into garmin support. Maybe they'll respond to this one. Third time lucky and all that. :rolleyes:

Anyone else running mountain lion and having problems with their watch transferring workouts?

Training centre keeps freezing.

Old workouts on the watch, more than a couple of days are labelled as 1-April-2007 (indoor workouts only should be labeled as this and they're not transferring under this date either). Workouts just not transferring, have lost records of most stuff since December.

Still a few people on twitter, facebook and forums complaining about this and still garmin haven't sorted it...or responded to queries about it.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

tomred1N wrote: »
    hi i got a 410 with hrm b4 xmas. had same problem after 2 weeks. would not pick up my hrm. Re paired ,changed battery no difference. then i read instruction again and i think it said something about wearing hrm when pairing. anyway thats what i did and it paired and worked again. no problem since and original battery was also ok...

Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion, tried that, didn't work.

I didnt wear the monitor in last nights session yet when I log in to Garmin Connect it game me a HR reading! Bizarre.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/272668410

Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion, tried that, didn't work.

I didnt wear the monitor in last nights session yet when I log in to Garmin Connect it game me a HR reading! Bizarre.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/272668410
    Did you have it with you? Perhaps your watch and HR strap have forged some kind of emotional bond, that transcends physical barriers. It's the right time of year for it.

Did you have it with you? Perhaps your watch and HR strap have forged some kind of emotional bond, that transcends physical barriers. It's the right time of year for it.

Haha, no, I tried pairing it at home, it didn't work, so I left it at home. Maybe it picked up one of the other runners HRM's.

Haha, no, I tried pairing it at home, it didn't work, so I left it at home. Maybe it picked up one of the other runners HRM's.

2 runs in the washing machine seems to have fixed the problem :)

Anyone having issues when uploading runs to Garmin Connect?
    Ever since last Thursday when I go to upload it goes through most of the process with the blue update bar reaching 100% but where it normally comes back and shows you the runs updated it just remains on the screen with the blue/gray background. Not sure what is wrong and I have sent an email to Garmin Support this morning but just wondering if this is affecting anyone else??

• Advertisement

Anyone having issues when uploading runs to Garmin Connect?
    Ever since last Thursday when I go to upload it goes through most of the process with the blue update bar reaching 100% but where it normally comes back and shows you the runs updated it just remains on the screen with the blue/gray background. Not sure what is wrong and I have sent an email to Garmin Support this morning but just wondering if this is affecting anyone else??
    Not me anyway. I've been uploading after every workout without problems. Might be that you have one corrupt activity that is preventing anything from uploading. You could try doing a manual upload, or temporarily moving the oldest non-uploaded activity to see if the rest import. If the above don't work, try a different browser.

Not me anyway. I've been uploading after every workout without problems. Might be that you have one corrupt activity that is preventing anything from uploading. You could try doing a manual upload, or temporarily moving the oldest non-uploaded activity to see if the rest import. If the above don't work, try a different browser.

Thanks for the response KC.
    I have tried Chrome and Firefox on both my home laptop and work PC and always the same issues.
    Here is what I sent GC support:
    When I try to upload my runs from my Forerunner 305 to Garmin Connect (Since Thursday of last week) the process hangs just before the upload is completed and therefore my runs fail to display in GC. I have tried to upload using Chrome and Firefox and on my home laptop and work PC but it never works. Software Version 2.90 GPS 3.00 Unit ID 3391503050
    I'll try and remove the Thurs run so (just a recovery run) and see if I get any joy so...wanna make sure I keep Donadea run on Sat though.
    Good running on Sat by the way, you looked strong both times you passed me!

Good Man KC!
    I checked Thursday's run and it had no GPS data attached, only HR data and time. Just after deleting this run from the watch and the rest of the runs have since uploaded correctly so it seems like that Thurs run was indeed a corrupt file.

Another case solved by the Garmin fountain of knowledge!
    Cheers.

Good Man KC!
    I checked Thursday's run and it had no GPS data attached, only HR data and time. Just after deleting this run from the watch and the rest of the runs have since uploaded correctly so it seems like that Thurs run was indeed a corrupt file.

Another case solved by the Garmin fountain of knowledge!
    Cheers.
    Good stuff. And apologies for passing you during the race. I was only trying to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. :)

If the run uploaded to Garmin Training Centre correctly, then you can export it from there, and import that file into Garmin Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ingo23

Hi,

I'm using a Garmin 110 at the moment and runkeeper.com to keep a log of my training. I've noticed that the information from the watch doesn't always match when I upload it to runkeeper.

This is particularly the case if I stop the watch during a run. For example I was doing 4 x 1k and so after every 1k I stopped the watch for the recovery and started it again. So on the watch when I finished it read 4k with a time of 14:15. When I uploaded the file it was 4.8k and a time of 19mins or so.

Any ideas how I can fix this? It seems that when the watch is stopped it continues to track the time and distance, or is it a problem with runkeeper?

Thanks

Ingo23 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm using a Garmin 110 at the moment and runkeeper.com to keep a log of my training. I've noticed that the information from the watch doesn't always match when I upload it to runkeeper.

This is particularly the case if I stop the watch during a run. For example I was doing 4 x 1k and so after every 1k I stopped the watch for the recovery and started it again. So on the watch when I finished it read 4k with a time of 14:15. When I uploaded the file it was 4.8k and a time of 19mins or so.

Any ideas how I can fix this? It seems that when the watch is stopped it continues to track the time and distance, or is it a problem with runkeeper?

Thanks
    Give us a link to the run. Or even better, upload it to Garmin Connect and we can have a proper look.

@Krusty...Put the run into Garmin Connect (I've never used it before) and there's no problems with the run or details. The problem must be when uploading it to www.runkeeper.com

Ingo23 wrote: »
    @Krusty...Put the run into Garmin Connect (I've never used it before) and there's no problems with the run or details. The problem must be when uploading it to www.runkeeper.com
    Was it an active recovery? i.e. did you walk during your recoveries? It sounds like Runkeeper is just taking your totals (i.e. start to finish) and may also be tracking the distance from when you stop the watch to when you start it again.

I was slowly jogging for the recoveries so yes I'd say that you're right, Runkeeper seems to log the totals. It's kind of annoying, I might start using Garmin Connect. Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

More HRM 610 woes...so I got it working after 2 spins on a cold wash in the washing machine....but now, I need to wet the contacts extensively in order for it to connect...I did this for last nights session and headed out but after 15 or so minutes it gave up on me. So, I wonder what the problem is. :-/ I'm close to giving up on the thing.

Here's a link to the run if anyone fancies taking a look

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275379745

Advertisement