Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Ah, that's a relief. So I can delete it from my account now?

Yes please do, thanks for putting in the work with me. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Garmin sent me an email yesterday saying my FR 110 is out of warranty and it will cost £44.20 for it to be repaired (button for menu is stuck). I will get a 90 warranty with this. Don't know whether to go with this or bite the bullet and buy a new one. Any thoughts anyone? Could the repair cost more e.g. postage..etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Another FR110 problem here. It just died after a run today with about half battery. It wasn't in recording mode either and now it won't charge. It didn't get wet or anything like that but I may have confused it by pressing the menu button when it was saving an activity. Its about 6 months old, bought in wheelworx. Any ideas guys, is there a way to do a hard reset, I realise it would have to be turned on to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Another FR110 problem here. It just died after a run today with about half battery. It wasn't in recording mode either and now it won't charge. It didn't get wet or anything like that but I may have confused it by pressing the menu button when it was saving an activity. Its about 6 months old, bought in wheelworx. Any ideas guys, is there a way to do a hard reset, I realise it would have to be turned on to do this!

Solution in case anyone has similar issuses. Temperamental piece of kit this.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?13548-Forerunner-110-will-not-charge

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Garmin sent me an email yesterday saying my FR 110 is out of warranty and it will cost £44.20 for it to be repaired (button for menu is stuck). I will get a 90 warranty with this. Don't know whether to go with this or bite the bullet and buy a new one. Any thoughts anyone? Could the repair cost more e.g. postage..etc?

Not sure if it includes postage. Presumably you'd have to post it to them, and they'll pay the return postage, but best to check with them. Remember, Garmin won't repair your watch. They will simply send you another refurbished watch as a replacement. So the question really is: Is a refurbished watch with a 3 month warranty worth the asking price of £44.20 (plus your watch)?

The reality is that it is unlikely that you will find a replacement GPS watch for that kind of money. So if the budget is tight, and you are happy with the functionality of the watch and wont need any further functionality, it's probably a reasonable deal. 90 day warranty on a 110 seems a little risky, given the number of reported problems.

If you think you'll upgrade in the next year or two anyway, and have the expendable income, might be worth looking around. This deal came up in another thread, and it's pretty good. Don't know anything about the shop though, but DogSlySmile didn't seem to have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Four month old Garmin 910xt. When charging it might say, for example 43%.......44%......45%.....100%

After a few seconds it always goes to 100% but then says only a few bars of charge.

I've done a hard reset with no joy.
    Also reflashed the latest firmware.

Any ideas?

tunney wrote: »
    Four month old Garmin 910xt. When charging it might say, for example 43%.......44%......45%.....100%

After a few seconds it always goes to 100% but then says only a few bars of charge.

Any ideas?
    Not a clue. Did it happen on the older firmware? Worth downgrading the firmware to 2.6? Are you getting close to expected battery life, or is the 4x% the reality? Did Garmin give you a refurbished unit or a new one on your last replacement?

Perhaps you should call it a day and just get a Polar!

Not a clue. Did it happen on the older firmware? Worth downgrading the firmware to 2.6? Are you getting close to expected battery life, or is the 4x% the reality? Did Garmin give you a refurbished unit or a new one on your last replacement?

Perhaps you should call it a day and just get a Polar!

AS far as I know only started happening tonight.

Not getting 20 hours, but not charging often.

Sent 9 garmins back to wiggle/garmin. Bought new one in Dublin in bricks and mortar as I wanted a high serial as anything low (i.e less than 170000 has bad fogging, 170000-20000 just fogs)

have a polar s210, s625x and RS300, had an RCX5 but sent that back for being sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Any ideas?

Maybe completely discharge the battery then give it a full recharge, other than that not a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Nice touch by Garmin adding a little note of sympathy to Boston at the top of Garmin Connect page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

belcarra wrote: »
    Nice touch by Garmin adding a little note of sympathy to Boston at the top of Garmin Connect page.

yeah saw that. initially thought it was a message to say the system was going to be down again. Really lovely sentiment I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Hey,

I found a multi-sport fartlek online and I tried to set up the workout on garmin connect.

There's 7 reps with different length/type periods of effort and rest. Once I have these set up is there any way to set it up to repeat these 7 reps 4-5 time's. I can only see a way to add repeats for a single step.

I tried to just add them step by step but the most steps allowed is 20. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm missing something or is it just not possible. Hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Just wondering about something. My Garmin 410 stopped working suddenly two weeks ago. It just started to turn off and on continually for about ten minutes until it turned off completely. When I connected it to the charger, it started charging, showing 100% after a couple of minutes. When I disconnected it from the charger it immediately turned off and would not turn on again until I connected it to the charger. I managed to do a complete reset but after a few minutes it shut down again. This kept on happening.

Yesterday I noticed on Garmin Connect that there was an update available to download for my watch. I did this and now the watch seems to be working perfectly :). Has anybody else had the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

fluboy wrote: »
    Just wondering about something. My Garmin 410 stopped working suddenly two weeks ago. It just started to turn off and on continually for about ten minutes until it turned off completely. When I connected it to the charger, it started charging, showing 100% after a couple of minutes. When I disconnected it from the charger it immediately turned off and would not turn on again until I connected it to the charger. I managed to do a complete reset but after a few minutes it shut down again. This kept on happening.

Yesterday I noticed on Garmin Connect that there was an update available to download for my watch. I did this and now the watch seems to be working perfectly :). Has anybody else had the same problem?

I haven't had that issue but I have noticed that when the goes down completely and you go to charge it up, it immediately goes to 37%. I had to return my one recently because the start button kept getting stuck. Got a replacement/refurbished one within a couple of weeks.

Midfield9 wrote: »
    Hey,

I found a multi-sport fartlek online and I tried to set up the workout on garmin connect.

There's 7 reps with different length/type periods of effort and rest. Once I have these set up is there any way to set it up to repeat these 7 reps 4-5 time's. I can only see a way to add repeats for a single step.

I tried to just add them step by step but the most steps allowed is 20. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm missing something or is it just not possible. Hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks
    Hi Midfield, just catching up on some threads now, so only noticed your question. If I understand correctly, what you're trying to do is nested loop activities - would that be right? e.g.

Repeat the following for 20 minutes
    ---Repeat the following two times
    Run 800m @6-6:30/mile
    Rest for 30 seconds

Something similar to the above (ignore the activities)? If so, the answer is that yes, you can create activities wit nested loops. The problem is that the watch you want to execute the workout on, may not support nested loops. This was certainly the case for me and my 910xt, when I tried a workout that included a nested loop. Instead of repeating it, it ran through only once, which was a pain.

Let me know if this answers your question. Also, how are you editing your workout? On the watch? Garmin Connect? Garmin Training Centre?

fluboy wrote: »

Hi fluboy, very unlikely that the problem would be related to a specific firmware. Sounds more like a hardware issue than a bug and may crop up again. I guess there's a chance that data may have become corrupted on the watch (e.g. a memory leak) and the process of updating the firmware may have resolved the issue, but I'd still keep an eye out for a repeat of the same issue (particularly if the watch is still under warranty).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hi, I have a 405cx and love it apart from the obvious bezel flaw! I'm training for the Waterford marathon in June. I'm just wondering what data fields people feel are the most heplful to have on display during a race?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 405cx and love it apart from the obvious bezel flaw! I'm training for the Waterford marathon in June. I'm just wondering what data fields people feel are the most heplful to have on display during a race?
    Personally I'd go with:
    1. Time
    2. Average pace

I would use 'Time' along with a pace band to verify my progress at every mile or kilometer marker, and I would use 'average pace' to look for pace deviations (on the understanding that the actual numbers do not reflect your current pace). I would not use any of the pacing fields on the watch to verify that my pacing is correct (they just are not reliable enough), but would use it just to check to see if I'm generally slowing down or speeding up. I don't think that distance is terribly useful, as long as there are mile/kilometer markers, and I tend to prefer not to monitor heart rate during a race, as I might not like what I see!

AS far as I know only started happening tonight.

Not getting 20 hours, but not charging often.

Sent 9 garmins back to wiggle/garmin. Bought new one in Dublin in bricks and mortar as I wanted a high serial as anything low (i.e less than 170000 has bad fogging, 170000-20000 just fogs)

have a polar s210, s625x and RS300, had an RCX5 but sent that back for being sh1te.

Forcing a refresh of firmware seemed to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Hi Midfield, just catching up on some threads now, so only noticed your question. If I understand correctly, what you're trying to do is nested loop activities - would that be right? e.g.

Repeat the following for 20 minutes
    ---Repeat the following two times
    Run 800m @6-6:30/mile
    Rest for 30 seconds

Something similar to the above (ignore the activities)? If so, the answer is that yes, you can create activities wit nested loops. The problem is that the watch you want to execute the workout on, may not support nested loops. This was certainly the case for me and my 910xt, when I tried a workout that included a nested loop. Instead of repeating it, it ran through only once, which was a pain.

Let me know if this answers your question. Also, how are you editing your workout? On the watch? Garmin Connect? Garmin Training Centre?

Thanks for the reply Krusty.
    Ya that would work alright. If your 910 doesn't support nested loops I'd guess my 310 won't either. Was using garmin connect to try create it. Never used the training center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Mine and a few others had trouble locking on to Satelites at the Samsung race last night. Would large numbers impact how long it takes. Funnily it was the same last year at this event. It wasn't an issue at DCM where I assume more would be in use?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Mine and a few others had trouble locking on to Satelites at the Samsung race last night. Would large numbers impact how long it takes. Funnily it was the same last year at this event. It wasn't an issue at DCM where I assume more would be in use?
    Absolutely zero effect. Think of your device as being like a radio; all it does it receive signals. The problems are more likely to be associated with the weather (rain/cloud - minor impact), landscape (tall buildings/trees - major impact), availability of satellites (shouldn't really be an issue), or covering up your Garmin with a long sleeve fluorescent yellow top (small impact). I shouldn't think that there would be any inter-device electrical interference. Even if there were, you'd have to have dozens of devices a couple of inches apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Absolutely zero effect. Think of your device as being like a radio; all it does it receive signals. The problems are more likely to be associated with the weather (rain/cloud - minor impact), landscape (tall buildings/trees - major impact), availability of satellites (shouldn't really be an issue), or covering up your Garmin with a long sleeve fluorescent yellow top (small impact). I shouldn't think that there would be any inter-device electrical interference. Even if there were, you'd have to have dozens of devices a couple of inches apart!

Thought as much, was standing in front of college green so maybe that impacted.

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Thought as much, was standing in front of college green so maybe that impacted.

Thanks for the response.

Couldn't get connected either! which leads me nicely into my next question...

I reset my Forerunner 10 today to try and improve its Satellite finding ability. Is there any way to restore Personal Records to the watch? Just to be clear, i don't want running history, I just want my records (which are on garmin online obviously)

crisco10 wrote: »
    Couldn't get connected either! which leads me nicely into my next question...

I reset my Forerunner 10 today to try and improve its Satellite finding ability. Is there any way to restore Personal Records to the watch? Just to be clear, i don't want running history, I just want my records (which are on garmin online obviously)
    I wouldn't think you could restore any records, particularly if they were removed as part of a hard-reset. If the watch connects to your computer as a USB device, I suppose you could try one of those USB recovery applications, but to be honest, the results could be unpredictable and you could end up bricking your watch.

I wouldn't think you could restore any records, particularly if they were removed as part of a hard-reset. If the watch connects to your computer as a USB device, I suppose you could try one of those USB recovery applications, but to be honest, the results could be unpredictable and you could end up bricking your watch.

Thanks, wont bother so, was very much "nice to have". surprised you can't edit the file on the watch when you navigate via windows explorer.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Thanks, wont bother so, was very much "nice to have". surprised you can't edit the file on the watch when you navigate via windows explorer.
    Why don't you record one of your personal bests, and see if you can find it in the watch's file system? If so, then you can surely edit it and re-insert them. Seems like a lot of hassle though..

Why don't you record one of your personal bests, and see if you can find it in the watch's file system? If so, then you can surely edit it and re-insert them. Seems like a lot of hassle though..

Yeah, tried looking there but records file seems to be in gibberish when I open in notepad. Ill set a few more "records" and see if I can just change the numbers....but if its any more complicated..see you later. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

HI recently bought a 310XT love it but in the last week it has started to take ages to pick up the GPS locations up to 20min yesterday should i send this back or is this common ?

• Advertisement

jeawan wrote: »
    HI recently bought a 310XT love it but in the last week it has started to take ages to pick up the GPS locations up to 20min yesterday should i send this back or is this common ?
    20 minutes wouldn't be common. I would make sure that I had downloaded all of my data from the watch and then perform a hard reset (warning, you will lose all data).
    Performing a soft or hard reset: Link.

Advertisement