Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Hi all,

the strap has broken off my Garmin which was purchased via Amazon. I ahve a feeling it's just out of warranty - how would I go about getting a replacement?

Also, does the accuracy of the GPS on these watches deteriorate over time?

Noticing that the routes logged recently appear very erratic i.e. if I am running along by the liffey this appears as if I am running IN the liffey once mapped.

or could this just be due to the fact that the watch is in my back pocket due to aforementioned lack of strap!?

Cheers
    Evanna

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Any one ever experienced difficulty uploading runs from their 405 to Garmin Connect? I've tried force send etc but won't work. I saw one suggestion below but I'm afraid of losing data of recent races. Cheers
    Can you tell us where/how exactly it is failing?
    Can you upload to training centre?
    Are the workouts being stored on your computer?
    Were workouts uploading successfully previously?
    You may have a specific workout that is corrupted that is preventing further uploads. A master reset should be your last resort.

BananaR wrote: »
    Hi all,

the strap has broken off my Garmin which was purchased via Amazon. I ahve a feeling it's just out of warranty - how would I go about getting a replacement?

Also, does the accuracy of the GPS on these watches deteriorate over time?

Noticing that the routes logged recently appear very erratic i.e. if I am running along by the liffey this appears as if I am running IN the liffey once mapped.

or could this just be due to the fact that the watch is in my back pocket due to aforementioned lack of strap!?

Cheers
    Evanna
    Hi Evanna, if it is the strap itself that is broken, you can buy a replacement direct from Garmin, or try the old usuals, like Amazon and eBay. The accuracy of the GPS doesn't deteriorate, but the watch can become less effective (more prone to failure) over time. However, in this instance, I'd guess it's because it's in your back pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Can you tell us where/how exactly it is failing?
    Can you upload to training centre?
    Are the workouts being stored on your computer?
    Were workouts uploading successfully previously?
    You may have a specific workout that is corrupted that is preventing further uploads. A master reset should be your last resort.

Thanks Krusty. Previously it always uploaded. The ant picks it up, transferring status appears both on the garmin and on my computer, you can see the downloading status i.e. 3mins to upload but in the end it doesnt upload.
    If needs be Ill do the master reset thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That sounds correct. The pairing is between the watch and the HRM.

Hi,

I'm still having problems with my HR monitor strap.

My watch will pick up another HR monitor no problem while another watch will not recognize my HR monitor.

That seems to narrow the issue down to my HR monitor or the strap itself.

I've tried 2 batteries in it now (both from the same pack though).

Would it be worth trying another battery ?

Other than that I'm all out of ideas other than buying a new strap/monitor. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You can now create (and store) your advanced workouts in Garmin Connect, which is quite handy. I'll often create an advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre on my work PC, but because it doesn't exist on my home PC it usually gets over-written next time I upload a workout.

Now you can keep 'em all in Garmin Connect and upload them to the watch when needed. You can also schedule workouts, so your watch gives you a reminder that you have to do that particular workout that day.

Here's one I made earlier:

174465.jpg

Hi Krusty, I'm having trouble sending these created workouts to my new 910xt.

Is there something I'm missing? GC says it has 'sent to device' yet nothing appears.

Regards,

Polarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hi all,

I have a Garmin 405cx.

I have tried unsuccessfully to edit the fields for the activities summary when my run is over. The summary of the activities doesn't show the average pace for the distance ran and I can't figure out how to edit these fields. :mad:

The 3 fields that I use, during my workout, are time, distance and lap pace.

Any help appreciated.

Fini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi,

Having trouble uploading my latest workout from my FR 410.

When I look at the history on the watch, the workout is there and saved in my history.

It didn't upload automatically and when I try to upload manually, it tells me there are no new workouts on my watch. Can I search the watch manually like I would my MP3 player to find the workout or what should I do.

I'm going to do another workout today and see if that one uploads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Having trouble uploading my latest workout from my FR 410.

When I look at the history on the watch, the workout is there and saved in my history.

It didn't upload automatically and when I try to upload manually, it tells me there are no new workouts on my watch. Can I search the watch manually like I would my MP3 player to find the workout or what should I do.

I'm going to do another workout today and see if that one uploads.

That happened me recently for the first time ever.
    I did another run and then both workouts uploaded.

Thanks huskerdu,

That's what I was hoping might happen. Yesterday's run was only 10k easy but today's is a JD special and I'd hate to lose that.

• Advertisement

Hi Krusty, I'm having trouble sending these created workouts to my new 910xt.

Is there something I'm missing? GC says it has 'sent to device' yet nothing appears.

Regards,

Polarboy
    Hi Polarboy, sorry, been away for a couple of weeks, so you might have solved it in the meantime, but transferring activities is a multistage process. When GC says 'sent to device' it actually means 'sent to USB Ant stick. Once this has been completed it will typically kick off the transfer from the PC to the watch. I presume the watch is switched on (duh!) and paired with the computer? Did you get it sorted?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Would it be worth trying another battery ?

Other than that I'm all out of ideas other than buying a new strap/monitor. Any ideas?
    Hmm, wouldn't think so, as long as you got the batteries from a reputable source. Have you tried adjusting the contacts in the HR strap to make sure they are making contact with the battery? If so, I'd guess that the strap may be kaput.

finisklin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Garmin 405cx.

I have tried unsuccessfully to edit the fields for the activities summary when my run is over. The summary of the activities doesn't show the average pace for the distance ran and I can't figure out how to edit these fields. :mad:

The 3 fields that I use, during my workout, are time, distance and lap pace.

Any help appreciated.

Fini
    You can't edit the fields in the summary screen on the watch (if that's what you mean?). It should be showing average pace though. What is displayed on the screen?

pointer28 wrote: »
    Thanks huskerdu,

That's what I was hoping might happen. Yesterday's run was only 10k easy but today's is a JD special and I'd hate to lose that.
    If Huskerdu's suggestion doesn't work, you can search your hard drive for your previous workout and upload it manually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hmm, wouldn't think so, as long as you got the batteries from a reputable source. Have you tried adjusting the contacts in the HR strap to make sure they are making contact with the battery? If so, I'd guess that the strap may be kaput.

Not sure what you mean, it's one of these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Garmin-Premium-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Soft-Strap-HRM-/400528143263?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item5d4156739f

You mean open it up and ensure the contacts with the battery are OK?

I've tried that but can give it another go.

Not too expensive to replace I guess.

thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.

If Huskerdu's suggestion doesn't work, you can search your hard drive for your previous workout and upload it manually.

Hi Krusty,

I tried that and it never uploaded from the watch to the PC at all. It's definitely on the watch as I've rechecked and two or three workouts since have uploaded perfectly. Or do you mean search the hard drive of the watch???

It was only 10k easy so of no real statistical significance so I just entered it manually. I just hope it's not a sign that my watch is starting to go south on me as it's been A1 since the day I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

One issue solved - see next message.

After about an hour fretting my 'bezel not locking' issue seems to have been solved by switching off the device and switching it back on. :-)

Now to deal with the 'Loader Loading' message - there seems to be some form of update going on - 11 minutes left.

All sorted with a software update I think. Thanks for listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi Polarboy, sorry, been away for a couple of weeks, so you might have solved it in the meantime, but transferring activities is a multistage process. When GC says 'sent to device' it actually means 'sent to USB Ant stick. Once this has been completed it will typically kick off the transfer from the PC to the watch. I presume the watch is switched on (duh!) and paired with the computer? Did you get it sorted?

Didnt realise it was like that, thanks. USed to the 305 being cable 'fed' so Sent to Device is literally that, beep and its there.

Can you cable transfer to the 910 or is it all ANT+ ?

• Advertisement

Didnt realise it was like that, thanks. USed to the 305 being cable 'fed' so Sent to Device is literally that, beep and its there.

Can you cable transfer to the 910 or is it all ANT+ ?
    The cable is electrickery only. ANT+ for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

You can't edit the fields in the summary screen on the watch (if that's what you mean?). It should be showing average pace though. What is displayed on the screen?

I'm having a problem with my summary screen its not showing average pace on it,I think its showing average speed,even in the data field I have it set to average pace but it still shows average speed,also made a workout today on Training Centre and set it by pace but when I did it it was showing me speed:confused: BE really grateful for any help on this

Sorry should tell you summary page shows time I started,distance,calories,bpm,time and average speed which should be average pace.

tenreds wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with my summary screen its not showing average pace on it,I think its showing average speed,even in the data field I have it set to average pace but it still shows average speed,also made a workout today on Training Centre and set it by pace but when I did it it was showing me speed:confused: BE really grateful for any help on this

Sorry should tell you summary page shows time I started,distance,calories,bpm,time and average speed which should be average pace.
    Page 13 in the manual:
    Touch and hold Menu > select Training > Options > Speed Units.
    Select Pace or Speed for the speed units.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Thank you Krusty that sorted it :)

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a new strap/HR monitor.

If anyone has any use for an non-working one or the actual soft strap let me know!!

adrian522 wrote: »
    If anyone has any use for an non-working one or the actual soft strap let me know!!
    Keep it! You'll lose the soft strap eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

My 305 is really acting up. I have to press a selection of buttons at the same time to get the bugger to come on. Works ok when it eventually does come on but now it's screwing up the laptop when I try to upload the activity to G Connect. Not only has it not uploaded, the other internet pages stop responding - I mean Hey, I was halfway through Elvis Costello's Oliver's Army for Crissake. Seriously peed off with it now as 10 weeks to target Autumn marathon and was looking to get a bit more serious and specific with the sessions. Don't know if there's a solution, just ranting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Itziger wrote: »
    My 305 is really acting up. I have to press a selection of buttons at the same time to get the bugger to come on. Works ok when it eventually does come on but now it's screwing up the laptop when I try to upload the activity to G Connect. Not only has it not uploaded, the other internet pages stop responding - I mean Hey, I was halfway through Elvis Costello's Oliver's Army for Crissake. Seriously peed off with it now as 10 weeks to target Autumn marathon and was looking to get a bit more serious and specific with the sessions. Don't know if there's a solution, just ranting to be honest.

Itzy - I'd suggest a Hard Reset? Probably won't do anything for it but sounds quite strange to be upsetting your internet performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried to contact Garmin support phone line? I've tried numerous times over the past week, since receiving an e-mail response from them about sending my watch back for repair/replacement (out of warranty), but am constantly on hold and never get through to support. I'm beginning to doubt there is anyone on the other end at all!!!

Any experiences to share?Very frustrated...

Thanks
    Evanna

• Advertisement

BananaR wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried to contact Garmin support phone line? I've tried numerous times over the past week, since receiving an e-mail response from them about sending my watch back for repair/replacement (out of warranty), but am constantly on hold and never get through to support. I'm beginning to doubt there is anyone on the other end at all!!!

Any experiences to share?Very frustrated...

Thanks
    Evanna
    I've never had to ring them, but have read in the past that it is astonishingly difficult to get through to them. Once you get through, they are supposed to be very helpful (but that doesn't really help your cause!). Are you ringing a UK number? Try ringing at 9am?

Advertisement