Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows cannot repair computer automatically?

• 02-08-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

It says there is one root cause.

what does this mean exactly...

do i have to go to repair shop to get this fixed?

how much would it cost?

will i lose my files and all that stuff?

Any help would be appreiciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

dear wonton,

you have a virus. please report to your nearest repair shop for removal.

should not cost more than 60-80 euro, worst case scenario.

all files should be backed up if necessary.

yours,

adam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why is that a virus?

How can he back it up if he can't start it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try ,hold f8,turn on pc, wait for a menu,uses,arrows ,up,down, select, using enter key, choose safe mode ,or directory services restore mode.THAT fixes the windows boot files.
    what happens when you turn on the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

wonton - do you have a back up of your files? I assume not. In which case you need to do that first. Do you have a Windows install disk?

This seems to be Windows Vista bootup error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Adam wrote: »
    dear wonton,

you have a virus. please report to your nearest repair shop for removal.

should not cost more than 60-80 euro, worst case scenario.

all files should be backed up if necessary.

yours,

adam.

thanks for the responces!

I tried all start up options and nothing changes

80 euro? wow...

so how would i back up files if i cant turn it on?

do i need the disk that was mentioned?

don't think i have it though

• Advertisement

the reason i went with a virus was because of the phrase "root cause", i've seen malware that has used this exact phrase in efforts to scam users out of money. i wasn't aware you were getting this message on booting up and couldn't actually get in to windows.

you'll want to get a hard drive caddy, take out your drive, back up your files, pop the drive back in and do a system restore from original cd or if you dont have one get a copy that corresponds to the windows license sticker on the bottom of your laptop e.g. windows vista home premium

You can make a livecd, linux mint, DOWNLOAD iso,use imgburn,burn image option, browse to iso file,eg linuxmint.so ,click burn image.You could use a friends pc or netcafe pc.You,d need 1 cdr disk.
    go to bios ,set boot=cd=o,cdrom/dvd= 1st boot device.
    boot linux live cd,this allows you to backup files to a usb drive or external drive.
    IF YOU have windows os,cd you could just install windows again, in directory,default, c;\ windows.This should leave all your data intact, use
    install option,no format ,drive , use existing disk format.DO NOT format the disk drive.it will ask,do you wish to format this drive.
    see here http://linuxmint.com/ download x86 32bit version.
    is the pc working, are you getting the bios load screen,press del, or f2 to load bios menu.
    turn on pc,hold down f8 for 12 seconds,does safe mode menu load.
    A linux livecd loads linux from cd into memory, it ignores viruses or malware on the hardrive ,
    then you can browse the drive and copy anything, mp3s or data files.

ricman wrote: »
    You can make a livecd, linux mint, DOWNLOAD iso,use imgburn,burn image option, browse to iso file,eg linuxmint.so ,click burn image.You could use a friends pc or netcafe pc.You,d need 1 cdr disk.
    go to bios ,set boot=cd=o,cdrom/dvd= 1st boot device.
    boot linux live cd,this allows you to backup files to a usb drive or external drive.
    IF YOU have windows os,cd you could just install windows again, in directory,default, c;\ windows.This should leave all your data intact, use
    install option,no format ,drive , use existing disk format.DO NOT format the disk drive.it will ask,do you wish to format this drive.
    see here http://linuxmint.com/ download x86 32bit version.
    is the pc working, are you getting the bios load screen,press del, or f2 to load bios menu.
    turn on pc,hold down f8 for 12 seconds,does safe mode menu load.
    A linux livecd loads linux from cd into memory, it ignores viruses or malware on the hardrive ,
    then you can browse the drive and copy anything, mp3s or data files.

thanks alot for the replys.

I should have said it's a toshiba laptop. Ye the f8 menu does load I tried safe mode but it didnt seem to change anything and hadnt a clue what to do in the f2 menu.

I'm trying to understand what you said in the above statement above.

so basically Download linuxmint on to a disc, load it on my laptop and browse it to save files to another laptop using a usb, then reset the laptop with the cd?

I'm sure i'll have read your post a few times to get it right but that sounds like a grand solution, thanks man!

yeah that's basically what ricman is saying, you can browse your hard drive from the linux OS and back up whatever you want, and when that's done you just whip out the linux cd and pop in a windows cd and reinstall, using the non-format option if possible so that your files won't get deleted from their original location either, just in case you miss anything.

see here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    download imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/
    http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots
    boot from cd guide
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
    press del,or f2 ,some function key, to load bios, f6 f7 f8, f9, f5 ,f6 etc
    you download linux iso to your pc in folder x, load imgburn,
    browse to folder x, look for file, eg linuxmint.iso ,
    click write image file to disk,browse to file ,click ok.
    to get linux go to http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    click livecd 32bit, download , it,ll be something.iso file,
    what model toshiba is it, how big is the hardrive?

reboot ,after 2 seconds,hold del, f2, or some function key ,to acess bios menu.

if you install to default directory, eg c/;\windows , the chances are your data,mp3s, will not be deleted, if you use install windows,NO FORMAT, use existing disk format option.

you can download directly or get the linuxmint torrent file.
    after you burn the image ,you now have a linux livecd ,reboot pc,
    see does the linux os load from the cdr disk.

ie you may not need to go near the bios.at all.

in bios,set boot options,advanced, cd=0,cd= first boot device .linux mint is 680meg in size/download.

• Advertisement

so i found my product recovery disc for my laptop.

okay i've got that linux mint thing open and i can see my documents and just realised I havent a clue what i can save my files on to...hmmmm...or can i save it a certain way that i wont loose files when i put in the windows disc?

thanks again

.......maybe i read your instrutions wrong

ideally you'll want an external hard drive, you're hopefully going to be able to not have to format your hard drive during recovery but in case you have to you'll need a safe copy.

would there be a way of sending files to another laptop using a lead of some sort?

maybe i could just save the files i really want on a usb stick? or a cd if i can take out the linux mint cd now?

actually i might just run to tesco and buy a external hard drive

cheers

you could theoretically but i'm not sure how well linux is working in terms of connectivity, do you have internet access on it? if you have home broadband you could transfer files to another laptop via the home network, but it might take a bit of configuration. to be honest, i'd recommend the external because backing up is an important process and at least the next time you have trouble you wont need to worry about all your files!

tesco finglas is open 24 hour,
    save to c drive, c;\ new folder, and install to c;\ windows, or just save to an external drive.format the external drive in ntfs.from start, progs,control panel, disk management,
    you might need to reboot linux to see external drive,just turn on ext drive, wait 6 seconds,plug it in to pc, if you install linux to drive c:\ hd,it needs 5gig hd space.

ricman wrote: »
    tesco finglas is open 24 hour,
    save to c drive, c;\ new folder, and install to c;\ windows, or just save to an external drive.format the external drive in ntfs.from start, progs,control panel, disk management,
    you might need to reboot linux to see external drive,just turn on ext drive, wait 6 seconds,plug it in to pc, if you install linux to drive c:\ hd,it needs 5gig hd space.

cheers man.

tried tesco lucan had nothing but gonna hit pc world tomorrow.

sounds like i should be able to manage that though.

Advertisement