Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling Photographs

• 02-08-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

If anyone can guide me on this one it would be with thanks.

I take allot of photos for my local club and I store them all on flickr. I am wondering what options are out there to enable us to sell these photos.
    I would like to give the members an opportunity to purchase a photo that is sent to them in the post as a print.

The profit on the print will then go towards our fundraising.

What websites/programs has anyone used to do this?
    Can these be integrated with your own website?
    Are any compatible with flickr?

Any other information you can offer would be most appreciated.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're looking to sell photos of the players to them, i was taking photos down at a local rugby club a few times (a friend was captain at the time), and a few of the players asked him if i'd be able to supply prints of the shots they were in. when i mentioned i'd have to charge for them (and i mentioned ten or fifteen quid per shot i think, to cover time and costs and a little bit for me), all interest evaporated.
    i'd nose around first and see how much interest there is among the members for buying photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Have a look at Zenfolio - you will need to set it up as a separate site, and there is an annual charge - and it's higher if you want to sell photos at a profit.

However, you can sell prints and manage the whole process automatically. You can self-fulfil (i.e. get the order and print/post it yourself) or have it all handled automatically.

My only real reservations is that they use Photobox for the European fulfilment. Probably OK for general purposes, but not really up to professional standards.

As magicbastarder says - do some 'market research' first. A lot of people are surprised when they put loads of good photos online- but noone actually buys anything. people might love your photos - but getting them to hand over cash is a bit more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

if you're looking to sell photos of the players to them, i was taking photos down at a local rugby club a few times (a friend was captain at the time), and a few of the players asked him if i'd be able to supply prints of the shots they were in. when i mentioned i'd have to charge for them (and i mentioned ten or fifteen quid per shot i think, to cover time and costs and a little bit for me), all interest evaporated.
    i'd nose around first and see how much interest there is among the members for buying photos.

There is a good bit of interest from parents and players themselves.
    I print some currently on an individual basis but reckon if it can be integrated into the website it could be allot higher. Also I can print to A3 but reckon with the other options that allot of the online printing houses offer such as mouse mats etc this would give more varity. Good presents.

Cameraman wrote: »
    Have a look at Zenfolio - you will need to set it up as a separate site, and there is an annual charge - and it's higher if you want to sell photos at a profit.

However, you can sell prints and manage the whole process automatically. You can self-fulfil (i.e. get the order and print/post it yourself) or have it all handled automatically.

My only real reservations is that they use Photobox for the European fulfilment. Probably OK for general purposes, but not really up to professional standards.

As magicbastarder says - do some 'market research' first. A lot of people are surprised when they put loads of good photos online- but noone actually buys anything. people might love your photos - but getting them to hand over cash is a bit more difficult.

Thanks Cameraman, I'll have a look at that option. Agree on the cash thing. Most think they are entitled to them for free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

+1 for zenfolio. $100 per year for the full package. you can set the % profit per album or photo. its also simples to setup and upload etc. I use it (link in sig) and i find the photobox prints are good. also there are lots of styles etc.

• Advertisement

+1 for zenfolio. $100 per year for the full package. you can set the % profit per album or photo. its also simples to setup and upload etc. I use it (link in sig) and i find the photobox prints are good. also there are lots of styles etc.

Had a look there cambo. Are the postage, shipping and taxes much extra on the prices? Nice site btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i am working on a site like zenfolio type thing

but based locally and high quality prints etc

also frames and canvases etc

but its not ready yet

stcstc wrote: »
    i am working on a site like zenfolio type thing

but based locally and high quality prints etc

also frames and canvases etc

but its not ready yet

Great to hear stc. please let me know when you get it up and running. Also may be worth looking at developing an api for pix.ie or flickr where the galleries can be integrated. I think that would be of benefit. Love to support irish business where I can.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

yea pixie i guess is a better option, i started by doing my own galleries system

then will look at something more sophisticated like pixie etc

there are some deeper logistics with something like pixie, for example if someone uploads to pixie but doesnt supply a print size file to me etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    Had a look there cambo. Are the postage, shipping and taxes much extra on the prices? Nice site btw.

I think the postage is quite reasonable, not as much as photobox charge IIRC.

Here's a referral code - NNE-4GS-RQ5 - if you sign up with that you get some kind of discount

• Advertisement
Advertisement