Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waste of money?

• 02-08-2010 10:58pm

Hey all, I've always wanted to get into photography but never had the money so never did.. Now with the help of redundancy, I'm heading off around Asia in six weeks for an indefinite period of time and I'm looking at getting a really good camera.

It has to be small so I'm wondering if the Panasonic DMC-ZS5 would be a good idea? 12.1 MP, Leica 12x optical lens and good 720p video with full use of zoom when recording. The sample pictures and videos I've seen look good to me anyway.

The only this is one of the reviews said that to get the most out of the camera, you need to be using the manual mode.. Is this sort of thing a complete waste of money for someone like myself going traveling or could this be a good camera to start of a bit of a hobby?

I always figured you needed a 35mm style camera to get into it so a part of me is thinking that spending 270euro could be foolish when a 60euro camera could still do the job. Ideally I'd love to have really great photos of my travels but it's not worth it if I can't get the most out of a relatively expensive piece of kit.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ8_ZS5/index.shtml

Panasonic-zs5.gif

I'm big into photoshop for years btw so I do know a fair bit about photos and editing, just no hands on experience with shooting.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

tbh, Learning the basics of manual controls on a camera is much easier than learning the basics of photoshop ;)

Just look up some tutorials, once you get into it you'll be surprised how quickly you'll learn.

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time/money if you only want to use it as an auto-compact. It's got 720p video, and the IQ will be decent enough, probably very easy to use. It's got as nice lens too for a compact. Go for it I say, you can always learn manual controls at a later stage with it.

I've learnt everything I know in life through youtube so before I even get the thing, I'd be watching tutorials... I'd also be out every evening practicing with it so I could get a feel for it. Like I don't want to miss a great shot in the middle of Vietnam because I've chosen too complicated a camera.

Would 5 weeks be enough to get a grounding in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Learning manual mode is prety easy to get used to... I've only just bought a camera that allowed me to use manual and I've gotten used to it already..
    Also Panasonic's auto mode is usually pretty accurate and will take a pretty good shot in most situations and will be ideal for holiday snapshots if your worried about messing up yourself...

if you do a bit of research on google you'll figure out manual mode in no time at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Just buy it

And would anyone know of any other good cameras in that price range that have such a good zoom and lens? One of my favourite things about the camera is that the shutter time can be up to 60 seconds.. I can imagine myself looking for some nice wide night-time shots of say a beach with a bonfire or just a few lights and people. I love that style of shot.

Just buy it

I very very nearly bought the Canon SX120 earlier and am already glad I didn't... I want to get some second opinions!

• Advertisement

Not many compacts have up to 60sec exposure modes.

The manual settings on it in general won't be anything as vast-ranging as advanced dslr manual controls, so I wouldn't worry about it being complicated. You only need to learn to control 3 basic things - Shutter speed [and it seems you already know something about this] - ISO settings and aperture control. Just look up explanaitions and basic tips on those and away you go :)

I've learnt everything I know in life through youtube so before I even get the thing, I'd be watching tutorials... I'd also be out every evening practicing with it so I could get a feel for it. Like I don't want to miss a great shot in the middle of Vietnam because I've chosen too complicated a camera.

Would 5 weeks be enough to get a grounding in it?

if you use it every evening and use youtube you will know pretty much everything there is to know about the camera in 5 weeks - if your any way good with technology you'll figure enough out on your own and with 5 weeks you'll be as good as you ever will be without professional help...

it won't be too complicated - if you can't comprehend at all switch to auto mode and you'll get the shot

the T28 will give you superior image quality to any 60 euro camera so I'd go for it - as you say you don't want to mess a shot up in the middle of vietnam...

go for it - very good camera that from what i've seen

it'd be on the top of my list for a compact camera anyways so - go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I had a tz28 and loved it. Great zoom, macro etc. If u want something pocketable look at the tz3/5 etc cameras.
    Also have a look in dpreview.com site for compact & superzoom group tests. They did some in June this year. vERY comprehensive reviews.
    Good luck whatever u go for.

Right, I'll get it so... Really liking the idea of getting photography a bit now. Could be the perfect camera to learn the basics.

Spent enough years messing around with other people's photos in Photoshop so I might aswell create them myself!

dinneenp wrote: »
    I had a tz28 and loved it. Great zoom, macro etc. If u want something pocketable look at the tz3/5 etc cameras.
    Also have a look in dpreview.com site for compact & superzoom group tests. They did some in June this year. vERY comprehensive reviews.
    Good luck whatever u go for.

Would it be a bit hefty for backpacking do you think?

Funny you mention dpreview, this is what I had open in another tab :P
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd recommend a Canon G9/G10 from eBay or the likes, would suit you perfectly and has plenty of scope for using more advanced features on it at a later date.

On your way to Asia are you stopping off anywhere, Thailand or the likes? Plenty of good shopping places for electronics there, might be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just buy the Canon G9/10/11 and let it do the donkey work for you. If you think you can get to grips with photography on a new camera in 5 weeks with a point and shoot you'll be disappointed. Your trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity so make the most of it and spend that little bit extra on a decent camera.

Another option is a Yashica T4 or T4 Super/T5 and shoot film.

The only point and shoots I own are old skool 35mm film cameras that are fully auto and they get as good results (if somewhat unexpected) compared to me €12000+ digital kit.

You get what you pay for. If I had a digital compact it would be a G10 or G11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

If you're into post processing you should definitely look to get something that can shoot in RAW, think the Canon G10/11 can, don't know about your selection, but doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have to agree with Pete, the Canon G9/10/11 cameras are the only way to go. They really are infinetly better than any compact.

The Canon G9/10/11 are compacts. very pricey ones at that. i'd love one myself as a back up pocket cam but even used they fetch a lot more than what he's paying for a brand new decent enough compact.

[edit] there is a G10 up on adverts.ie for €400 - I bet you could get it for a bit less than that if you can stretch your budget? If so, I'd agree with above posts and go for that. Savage little camera.

Right, looks like i've more research to do so.. Had a quick look at the G9 last night and it's quite affordable. Also had a look at the Panasonic and I could have it for bout 200 of ebay so that's good to know.
    Are there any other good places to buy second hand cameras apart from adverts.ie?

As far as fitting in my pocket, i'm not sure how important that is.. I have a good camera phone that will be used for drinking sessions etc. whereas i'll always have a bag on my back when i'm using the proper camera.

The great thing about the Panasonic is the is the video quality so i'll have to check that on the Canons.. I've messed around with video editing before (amvs) and I will definitely be compiling the footage I get..

why wouldn't you get the Canon S90 over the G9/10/11? Expect that it has no viewfinder....

because it's almost as expensive? if I was going to buy a good compact, I'd wait until i had the little extra for the g10/11

OP- is it a camera you want to be able to fit in your pocket/jeans?
    if so then something like the Panasonic TZ3/4/5 etc.

if something for backpack then bridge/Sony G9/10.

dinneenp wrote: »
    OP- is it a camera you want to be able to fit in your pocket/jeans?
    if so then something like the Panasonic TZ3/4/5 etc.

if something for backpack then bridge/Sony G9/10.

Never heard of the s90 or the tz3 etc but i'll look into them...
    I want a camera that will go in my backpack or round my neck but will still be quite small. Since i'll be wearing shorts/three quarter lengths the whole time, I don't think any camera would be safe in my pocket.

I just want something with good picture and video quality with a big zoom that wont break the bank.. The Panasonic sounds like it fits the bill while having a few advanced features.

• Advertisement

The panasonic will be fine for your needs. Unless you really want to get serious about manual controls, the G10 might be a little wasted/expensive for you.

My missus is on the lookout for a nice compact too, pretty much same requirements as you as we'll be heading to the US in October. She wants HD [or at least 720p] video, a good zoom range covering wide and long as possible, and good IQ. I'd love to talk her into going for something like a G10 but she'd never bother with manual controls or shooting in RAW. She knows I'll only steal it and claim it as my second cam :D so I reckon she will be opting for something like the Tz7 upwards.

By the sounds of it, a G10 would be wasted on me moreso than the tz8.. Learn to walk first and all that.
    Any thoughts on the nikon s8000?

Looks pretty decent, though on the Image quality page it says IQ is just above average, with visible noise evident when zoomed in on images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

S90 is smaller than the g11 and has a quicker lens. I think I would go for this because on compacts (I used a g10 a bit) I find I never actually use the view finder. If your budget will stretch the s90 is a winner! Both have the same sensor I think and pretty much the same amount of control over settings.

Just looking there and I'm not so sure I could have my budget stretch to the s90.. I've vaccinations and flights and everything to pay for!

Maybe i'm putting too much emphasis on having a high zoom lens? If I do get a 10x or 12x, will I ever actually use it or is it a tad gimmicky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Just looking there and I'm not so sure I could have my budget stretch to the s90.. I've vaccinations and flights and everything to pay for!

Maybe i'm putting too much emphasis on having a high zoom lens? If I do get a 10x or 12x, will I ever actually use it or is it a tad gimmicky?

As helpful as everyone is here it's only a matter of time before someone suggests you to stretch your budget to a Canon 5D II and L lenses....
    Get your budget, stick to it and check the review of the ones you narrow it down to. At your price range/camera type nothing is going to do it all and be perfect.
    Zoom usage depends on what you want to take pictures of. If you want to take wildlife shots or sports then long reach zooms are essential but on a compact they are probably about as much use as a chocolate teapot imo. They won't be fast enough. I would think the wide angle and mid ranged zoom are probably most use, especially for holidays. wide angel is great for landscapes and getting buildings in. mid range probably useful for people and "other stuff".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Another vote for the g series of cameras. Another one to consider is the s90. Shoots in raw, has manual controls and is super light for travel. Should be able to fetch one on eBay for cheap enuff.

I want a camera that will go in my backpack or round my neck but will still be quite small. Since i'll be wearing shorts/three quarter lengths the whole time, I don't think any camera would be safe in my pocket.

I just want something with good picture and video quality with a big zoom that wont break the bank.. The Panasonic sounds like it fits the bill while having a few advanced features.

Canon S90/G series - not a very big zoom so rules it out. 5X on the G series.
    Panasonic TZ (ZS in USA) series has minimum 10X. There are similar cameras, look at the DPreview Travel Zoom Group Test.

Joint winners: Casio FH100 and Samsung HZ35W
    The Casio Exilim FH100 and Samsung HZ35W do exactly what we think cameras of this type should - they deliver sharp, detailed images quickly, and combine high quality output with good ergonomics, and solid build quality. You can completely ignore their 'headline' features, of GPS (in the Samsung) and high-speed still and video shooting (in the Casio) and still be wholly satisfied with the two models as photographic tools. And this is high praise indeed.

The FH100 does look brilliant imo.. Some of the videos on youtube showing 120 and 240 video modes look great.

• Advertisement

anything higher than 10x 12x is really enough for 90% of shots... It's more than enough to get you by

If you get a shot that you think needs to be closer in or something just crop it afterwards and it'll give it the look of being zoomed in closer.. works fine for me and should be more than good enough for you - mightn't be suitable for the pros but this method is more than suitable for anyone who just wants nice shots to remember a holiday by...

chances are if your in SE Asia it's going to be more likely that you'll be using the wide angle end of the lens to get landscapes and building shots..

How about the Canon Powershot sx210?
    I think I've my heart set on it now.. Looks like it'd do the job perfect.

Advertisement