Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PL rules

• 02-08-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I hope this hasn't been posted before but I did a quick search and didn't find anything.....

So these new rules for the PL

I understand them all except this thing about the 25 man squad.
    Surely to jaysus that doesn't mean they can only have 25 players for a year?

does it?

You can go over 25 in the squad but only with "home-grown" under 21yr olds.
    Home-grown meaning that the player has been registered with the FA for more that 3 years, yea?

I mean 25 players cant be enough for a season, or can it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

25 should be more than enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Yeah, "homegrown" under 21s don't count as part of the 25. So a lot of Arsenal's young squad for example would fall into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

They can bring people in at january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

They can bring people in at january
    Yes that too. So any long term injured players your squad might have at the moment could be brought back into the squad in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

You need to have at least 8 players who are 21 or over that are deemed homegrown, the rest can be over 21 of any nationality. On top of that, you can have as many under-21s (home-grown or not) as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Thanks lads

So I guess that'll mean a whole load of fringe players between 21-24 wont be getting games then, no wonder so many pre-season games have been full of kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

So I guess that'll mean a whole load of fringe players between 21-24 wont be getting games then
    Not really, the average number of players each team used last year was 27 and that number probably included a few under 21s. Not too many good players will end up being omitted from the 25. The only team that might omit some better players would be Man City but those that will be omitted would not fit into Mancini plans for the season and would have ended up sitting in the stands for most of the season. At least with the 25 a manager can say straight off that a player will not figure at all for them instead of having them clogging up the wage bill. I can not see this rule being too disadvantageous to any player or manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

You need to have at least 8 players who are 21 or over that are deemed homegrown, the rest can be over 21 of any nationality. On top of that, you can have as many under-21s (home-grown or not) as you like.

the 8 home grown players dont need to be over 21.

the 8 home grown players dont need to be over 21.

If they are under 21 why register them? They don't need to be registered. That's why it would make sense to have your 8 homegrown players in the named squad over the age of 21. If you don't have that many homegrown over-21 players then you could leave the spaces blank to bring in players during the year. Yes, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Trampas

How does Man City fit into all of this.

Milner will help I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If they are under 21 why register them? They don't need to be registered. That's why it would make sense to have your 8 homegrown players in the named squad over the age of 21. If you don't have that many homegrown over-21 players then you could leave the spaces blank to bring in players during the year. Yes, no?

You would only register them if you need to fill up your quota of 8 I guess.

I haven't looked through the rules though, i don't know if it states that the 8 can be any age or must be over 21.

no, you need to have 8 players home grown, if that means 8 of them are 18 then so be it - if you are registering a player as one of the home grown slots he has to take up a place in the 25.

so up to 25 players need to be registered.
    of those 25 at least 8 have to be home grown
    at most you can have 17 foreign players

simples

no, you need to have 8 players home grown, if that means 8 of them are 18 then so be it - if you are registering a player as one of the home grown slots he has to take up a place in the 25.

so up to 25 players need to be registered.
    of those 25 at least 8 have to be home grown
    at most you can have 17 foreign players

simples

Say if you only have 6 homegrown players. That means you'll have to register a squad of 23 but the two places can be filled during the transfer windows or by free agents throughout the year (provided they are homegrown).

So, if you have 8 homegrown players, two of which are under 21 then surely you can register the 6 over 21s as above and have the remaining two outside the registered squad in with the unlimited under 21s? This leaves you free to bring in two more players during the year, as above.

Am I missing the point here?

Say if you only have 6 homegrown players. That means you'll have to register a squad of 23 but the two places can be filled during the transfer windows or by free agents throughout the year (provided they are homegrown).

where are you getting that from? every squad has access to 8 home grown players, reserves and youth teams etc...

where are you getting that from? every squad has access to 8 home grown players, reserves and youth teams etc...

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly. If you have home-grown players under the age of 21 they do not need to be registered! Therefore you can leave the space if you want to bring players in.

Read the following and see if you get where I'm coming from.

http://www.arsenalinsider.com/arsenal-news/1789-members-blog-25-man-squad-rule-is-no-worry-to-us
    Our squad rolls 26 deep at the moment (source http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/new-squad-regulations-for-this-season). But I believe we will still have 5 squad places left this year. I will explain, Fabregas, Bendtner, Song, Denilson, Clichy, Djourou, and Mannone are all 'home grown' talent and OVER 21, so thats 7.

We do not have any more 'home grown' talent that is over 21 years, so add Ramsey for instance to make this up to the regulatory 8 needed. However Ramsey is under 21, so this could leave a space for an older home grown player if needed.

Advertisement