Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway always Upselling

• 02-08-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Dunno where i shoudl post this but would liek to rant. II keep going to this takeaway cause theyve great food but they never stop upselling. Everytime no matter what staff member or business, i order a kebab they say "Meal ya?" or "And chips?"

Today i just lost it and turned around and said (sarcastic tone) "Did i ask for chips!?!?":mad: haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Dunno where i shoudl post this but would liek to rant. II keep going to this takeaway cause theyve great food but they never stop upselling. Everytime no matter what staff member or business, i order a kebab they say "Meal ya?" or "And chips?"

Today i just lost it and turned around and said (sarcastic tone) "Did i ask for chips!?!?":mad: haha

I dont get why this is an "issue"............. Fair play to you for "losing it" over this massive consumer issue..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

If it makes you feel better OP there is a special circle of Hell reserved for those who offer you chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I was wondering if it was just me, obviously is, just find upsellign fustrating especially when its constant.

Never claimed it to be a massive issue, just a "rant" as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

who doesn't get chips with stuff in the chipper?

i'd say 8/10 people that ordre a burger and don't mention chips wanted them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't see the problem. Trying to up-sell is no longer an "option", it's part of their job.

• Advertisement

well i put it this way,,,,they way they go about it seems sneaky unlike supermacs who just say "is that it?" not "meal ya?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Semantics...

R'n'R is thataway --->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Didn't McDonalds stop upselling after the 'Supersize Me' documentary?

I suppose it is annoying, especially if you only want a small amount of food.

thank you and ya i think they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

One thing about upselling is that its obviously paart of their staff training and job requirement. Don't give out the him, bit like the ones in Topaz shops because they can actually get into lot of trouble, including their manager if its found out they don't try to upsell.
    And at least its better than the usual huff and puff under breaths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

TheDriver wrote: »
    One thing about upselling is that its obviously paart of their staff training and job requirement. Don't give out the him, bit like the ones in Topaz shops because they can actually get into lot of trouble, including their manager if its found out they don't try to upsell.
    And at least its better than the usual huff and puff under breaths

Typical Topaz transaction:

Me: 20 Benson please.
    Guy behind counter: Any lighter or matches with that?

He'll also offer you skins and filters if you buy a packet of rollie.

OP: The chipper is just trying to get a bit of extra income, that might just keep them from having to close the doors for good. Considering that most people order chips anyways, it might even just be a way of confirming that you don't want chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I suppose it is annoying, especially if you only want a small amount of food.

Nope- they stopped saying "would you like to supersize that?" and now it's
    "medium or large?"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are attempting to make extra income and in fairness they are offering something that the VAST MOJORITY of people get when they go to chippers....chips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could go in and say 'Kebab, please, on its own, no chips.' Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

well i put it this way,,,,they way they go about it seems sneaky unlike supermacs who just say "is that it?" not "meal ya?".

Is that the same Supermacs where the staff are required to ask if you want to go large, every time? You're only seeing things the way you want to see them to support your non-existent issue. Shops want to sell more stuff to you, if you can't handle that, then never buy anything again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Consumer Issue. Moved to After Hours.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

who doesn't get chips with stuff in the chipper?
    Me, quite a lot actually, and I know others who do. I usually get a fresh cod which is plenty big enough for me, and I am no skinny runt. You often get a small scoop of chips thrown in anyway, if not they tend to give you a bigger fish than if you had got it along with chips.
    i'd say 8/10 people that ordre a burger and don't mention chips wanted them anyway
    I don't see that myself, when they ask "do you want chips with that" IME I would say 9/10 say no, they would have asked in the first place. When I go in I say "just a fresh cod please" -so they very rarely ask if I want chips.
    I noticed them stopping asking about fries in dublin citycentre before that film, probably due to loads of drunks roaring at the cashier "IF I WANTED F**KING FRIES I WOULD HAVE ASKED", I used to feel sorry for the cashiers -obviously they were under orders to do it, and some very meekly said it and could see the drunk was waiting to let loose abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I used to work for a chain and they would force us to up-sell. So if someone orders a burger, ask if they would like a meal/fries/drink with their order.
    Also when they order a meal we were told to ask would they like a large or regular meal, in that order (especially on Fri/Sat night people were more susceptible to this rouse and would order large 75% of the time).
    I hated it mostly but some people deserved to be ripped-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"No Thanks."

How fucking hard is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The sneaky ones piss me off- in mc d's in Amsterdam the lad behind the counter said ' will I give you some Mayo with your fries?' I said yes please, and he charged me 30 cent!! Grr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

A lot of jobs now place a huge emphasis on upselling. If we don't try and upsell and it comes to the attention of Head Office through a Mystery Shopper or something your automatically docked a load of points on your report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

in my own experiences whenever a person behind the counter asks me if i want chips with whatever im having, i found that saying "no thanks" meant that i didnt get chips. strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Oh the great tragedy that has fallen upon you! This ghastly life you lead, I wouldn't trade with you for the world! The horrors you have endured...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

On the flipside, Burger King seem to trying to screw themselves lately.. every time I go in and ask for a double cheese burger meal they automatically ring up €3.50 and try to give me a child sized meal, it's on special but I never ask for it, I always want the normal sized meal, I don't mind paying full price for it.. The first time I let it go but I've had to correct them every time since then..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

xzanti wrote: »
    On the flipside, Burger King seem to trying to screw themselves lately.. every time I go in and ask for a double cheese burger meal they automatically ring up €3.50 and try to give me a child sized meal, it's on special but I never ask for it, I always want the normal sized meal, I don't mind paying full price for it.. The first time I let it go but I've had to correct them every time since then..

They're just getting you used to the notion of a child-sized meal. In 131 days they'll start upselling you this on top of your adult-sized one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't go back there again. I for one would make sure you had some gratis, organic toppings on your next meal.

If I go to a place that does that, I just say I'd like a *meal* with nothing else please. Means you don't have to abuse people that are only doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Confuse the fcuk out of them OP - order your chips first - then see what they do. Not so smart now are ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

It's not just takeaways. I worked in a clothes shop for years, and we got in so much trouble if we didn't try and up-sell. Every day before our shift started, we had a team talk and it was basically about 'add-ons'. Try encourage a customer to buy a belt when they're buying jeans, or jewelery when they're buying a going out outfit etc. At the till, we even had to say, "Would you like to buy any gift vouchers today?". It wasn't fun, but it had to be done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

People usually do want chips with their burger/sausage/kebab or whatever.. Asking you in advance is probably just their solution to "weeeeers me bleedin chips?.. fcukin retard" as I've seen a few times in chippers.. I doubt they're trying to fleece you.. just assessing the situation..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

In my local chipper if you ask for a kebab or batter sausage on its own, they usually throw a handful chips in the bag anyway being nice.

After eating them chips you say to yourself "Why didnt I order chips with this, these are amazing."

So basically OP, buy chips next time with your kebab. Oh and maybe a garlic dip aswell :-)

Advertisement