Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway always Upselling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

KFC -

"Mini Fillet Burger Please"

"Would you like Bacon and Cheese on that?"

"No thanks. But can I also have a chicken wrap?"

"...Would you like bacon and cheese on that?"

It does get frustrating; but in fairness it's not that hard to say No; and people do sometimes forget that they want bacon and cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I love the auld fashioned chippers where you order a cheese burger and they throw a few chips in on top for free.

Does that ever happen anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

They'll probably never ask you again ,as you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fluffo

wtf? who doesn't want chipper wants?

Saying "no thanks" would take a lot less energy than getting angry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I love the auld fashioned chippers where you order a cheese burger and they throw a few chips in on top for free.

Does that ever happen anymore?

Haven't seen it for years. They always used to throw in a few with battered sausages too.

stovelid wrote: »
    Haven't seen it for years. They always used to throw in a few with battered sausages too.

As Mick Lally says in an upcoming movie:

"I love a bit of batter on my sausage"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

El Weirdo wrote: »
    "No Thanks."

How fucking hard is it?

*Snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Throw in a few chips with the potato scallops too....mmmmmm!

Sliced potato in batter....oh yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Yeah it's terrible alright that they try get that extra 2 quid from you to make your meal nicer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

OP is right to be annoyed. If I want something, I'll ask for it. Was in a clothes shop the other day and was practically stalked by the sales assistant trying to sell me all sorts.

I asked to see a pair of trainers, a specific colour. He comes out with a completely different colour, and even a different size and hands them to me :confused: They were horrible looking, and wouldn't even have fitted anyway.

At the register, I was buying a shirt, and he asked me if I wanted to buy some undershirts to go with it... I politely said no. Ten seconds later, he asked me again "Are you sure you don't want to have a look at the undershirts?". Damn, he really pissed me off, with his incessant upselling.

I'm not afraid to say no, by any means, but by the same token, I'm not afraid to ask for something if I actually want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Dunno where i shoudl post this but would liek to rant. II keep going to this takeaway cause theyve great food but they never stop upselling. Everytime no matter what staff member or business, i order a kebab they say "Meal ya?" or "And chips?"

Today i just lost it and turned around and said (sarcastic tone) "Did i ask for chips!?!?":mad: haha

I'd be the same, especially if they can't be arsed to speak properly.

"Meal ya?" is not a sentence or a question.

The only appropriate answer is "Bust ya?"

If they can't be bothered speaking and asking properly, then you're under no obligation to be polite.

And if you want something, you'll ask for it. You're not likely to "forget" that you want chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wazdakka wrote: »
    *Snigger*
    Fnarr, fnarr.

/Finbarr Saunders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

They're going to spit in your kebab in future.

I hope you're happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd love a snack box now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dudara wrote: »
    This isn't a Consumer Issue. Moved to After Hours.

dudara
    Game on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

would love a chinese .lol

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    would love a chinese .lol

What's a Chinese Lol?

Is it similar to a Turkish Delight or is it closer to a French Baquette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What's a Chinese Lol?

It's a ror with a lisp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

KFC are the worst for this.

They lean forward and point on the laminated poster stuck to the counter and say:

"Would you like Onion Rings, they are just €1.50 extra and come with a choice of sauce.."

Not a massive deal, just kinda bugs me.

Loads of places still give a small portion of free chips if you don't order a full portion.

Leo Burdocks for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OutlawPete wrote: »

Loads of places still give a small portion of free chips if you don't order a full portion.

Leo Burdocks for one.

I was wondering if they still did that - every chipper in Dublin used to, but I haven't been to one in over 10 years, so I wasn't sure if that custom still existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used to upsell all the time when working in Vue. It was actually funny. People would go for two small drinks, and a small popcorn. I'd tell them that it was 50 cents cheaper to get the combo two medium drinks and a large popcorn. I'd upsell this to everyone. I'd upsell lots of stuff. I'd upsell stuff, and show them how to save more. Heck, sometimes it'd be cheaper getting more than what they wanted AND to add a hotdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ah lad give them a break their only being nice and helpful, open your mouth and tell them first before they ask you if you want chips or the meal, I cant see the problem there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

haha best response!!! ha gonna do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

Why don't you just say no? It's a lovely word Our Lord gave us here on earth for when we don't want any chips. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

the_syco wrote: »
    Used to upsell all the time when working in Vue. It was actually funny. People would go for two small drinks, and a small popcorn. I'd tell them that it was 50 cents cheaper to get the combo two medium drinks and a large popcorn. I'd upsell this to everyone. I'd upsell lots of stuff. I'd upsell stuff, and show them how to save more. Heck, sometimes it'd be cheaper getting more than what they wanted AND to add a hotdog.

I love people like that :)

Especially when I have to race back and get the other half of the two for one offer ,I didn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Confuse the fcuk out of them OP - order your chips first - then see what they do. Not so smart now are ye?

I like this.
    "I'd like a bag of chips, please."
    "Would you like chips with... Wait, what?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

SoulTrader wrote: »
    OP is right to be annoyed. If I want something, I'll ask for it. Was in a clothes shop the other day and was practically stalked by the sales assistant trying to sell me all sorts.

I asked to see a pair of trainers, a specific colour. He comes out with a completely different colour, and even a different size and hands them to me :confused: They were horrible looking, and wouldn't even have fitted anyway.

At the register, I was buying a shirt, and he asked me if I wanted to buy some undershirts to go with it... I politely said no. Ten seconds later, he asked me again "Are you sure you don't want to have a look at the undershirts?". Damn, he really pissed me off, with his incessant upselling.

I'm not afraid to say no, by any means, but by the same token, I'm not afraid to ask for something if I actually want it.

It's completely different when you're working in a chipper. Some customers assume you can read minds- "Where are my chips?" or "I wanted cheese on my quarter pounder" when they didn't ask for it. I always ask if they want chips or anything extra so they don't annoy my hole by getting snotty if they have to wait for their unordered chips.

On a side note customers who get all sarcastic with staff asking them a simple question should go on the other side of the counter to see what it's like dealing with rétards.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i quite like upselling goods, even though it could be hard to sell to every customer and it can get very annoying from the customer point of view but thats a sellers job imo. I work in a retail area of a cinema and its my job to sell as many products as i can.

If someone is getting a medium combo (Medium Popcorn and Medium Drink) i say to them you could a large combo (Large Popcorn and Large Drink) for just 60 cent extra. its only 60 cent more im not offending anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

who doesn't get chips with stuff in the chipper?

i'd say 8/10 people that ordre a burger and don't mention chips wanted them anyway

Me. Chicken burger and chicken nuggets please.

Advertisement