Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway always Upselling

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Dunno where i shoudl post this but would liek to rant. II keep going to this takeaway cause theyve great food but they never stop upselling. Everytime no matter what staff member or business, i order a kebab they say "Meal ya?" or "And chips?"

Today i just lost it and turned around and said (sarcastic tone) "Did i ask for chips!?!?":mad: haha

I wouldn't mind that. Most of the ones I go to I often have to remind them that I asked for a meal, or wanted chips.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The sneaky ones piss me off- in mc d's in Amsterdam the lad behind the counter said ' will I give you some Mayo with your fries?' I said yes please, and he charged me 30 cent!! Grr
    Are you Vincent Vega?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

El Weirdo wrote: »
    "No Thanks."

How fucking hard is it?

"If I wanted them I'd ask for them"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭weemcd

"Can I have a kebab please, no chips thanks":rolleyes:

weemcd wrote: »
    "Can I have a kebab please, no chips thanks":rolleyes:

Why ? A kebab is a kebab. There are no chips in it.

It's like saying "chips please, no chocolate thanks".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My local chipper actually throw a half portion of chips in the bag for free when you order only a burger or whatever.

Proof that the world is in perfect balance =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Very simple solution to this: take ages to make up your mind. seriously. Hmm, haw, consider, shuffle,and then pull out mobile, ring friend and ask him if he wants chips with his burger. See how much time you can waste. If you're a regular, guaranteed they'llremember you and not ask again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Why ? A kebab is a kebab. There are no chips in it.

It's like saying "chips please, no chocolate thanks".

go fúck yourself & stop trying to be smart.

if the op asked for that there would be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Those fúcking scumbags. I don't know why they place such a burden on you so much when you could just be waiting quietly without having to utter the words "No thanks". Some people.

Another thing I really hate is when my wallet is so full of money that it's not comfortable in my pocket. Some times I wish I was just dead, life can be so tough here in the first world. Fúck all of our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Move over The citizen, AH has a new civil hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

OP you wouldn't believe what happened to me the last day at the chipper. I asked for a kebab and the upselling kunt behind the counter asks me do I want condoms with that. Piss off I said to her followed by a cheeky phlegm into her eyes. That'll teach the cheeky b1tch.

go fúck yourself & stop trying to be smart.

Who's trying to be smart ? I'm simply stating a fact. Just because you've a different view doesn't give you the right to say "go f**k yourself", even if you are trying to be smart enough to bypass the expletive filter.
    if the op asked for that there would be no problem

If the chip shop didn't ask stupid questions then the OP wouldn't have to.

If you ask for chips, you should get chips
    If you ask for a kebab, you should get a kebab
    If you ask for chips and a kebab, you should get chips and a kebab

OP - if they overdo it I'd ask to see the manager and tell him that you're sick of being pestered to buy more, and that if he doesn't sort it out that you'll be taking your custom elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

bongi69 wrote: »
    Typical Topaz transaction:

Me: 20 Benson please.
    Guy behind counter: Any lighter or matches with that?

He'll also offer you skins and filters if you buy a packet of rollie.

If you buy nutella do they ask if you want bread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A lot of people here with a chip on there shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Dunno where i shoudl post this but would liek to rant. II keep going to this takeaway cause theyve great food but they never stop upselling. Everytime no matter what staff member or business, i order a kebab they say "Meal ya?" or "And chips?"

Today i just lost it and turned around and said (sarcastic tone) "Did i ask for chips!?!?":mad: haha

More importantly why did you follow the angry face with a haha??

Being asked if someone wants chips or a drink with an item is not the downfall of society. If the op has such a problem with this, should they slightly change the phrasing used the next time an order is placed, they will not have a problem, and we will not have a thread started on something as trivial as this.

@Liam Byrne I did not like the tone of your original post, "chips please, no chocolate thanks" came across as sarky.

Before this begins to flame, I am un-subscribing from this thread.

Good Day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

They are just being told to upsell by the boss. No offence, if it was me i'd much rather annoy you than my manager.

Besides, it's just smart business, most people's appetites are ruled by their olfactory senses...you order your kebab, stand there for a few minutes basking in the smell of chips and boom, all of a sudden you want chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

o get over it:(

At least they ask.. A few places here just land down to your table during the meal with extra bbq chicken or nuts and shlt. Then the language barrier means it's not worth the effort giving it back unless they really take the piss. Doesn't bother me though.. I love nuts and I can always eat more cheap and tasty chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I was wondering if it was just me, obviously is, just find upsellign fustrating especially when its constant.

Never claimed it to be a massive issue, just a "rant" as above

If it happens constantly why don't you order a kebab - no chips?

I might as well come on and rant about every time I order a burger I have to ask for the chips too. Same thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i'd say 8/10 people that ordre a burger and don't mention chips wanted them anyway

I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the_syco wrote: »
    I don't see the problem. Trying to up-sell is no longer an "option", it's part of their job.

and its been like that for years! jaysus, the things people moan about nowadays, a simple no thanks normally works fine.

no wonder nobody wants to work in these type of jobs with fickle assh*les like the OP here coming in to visit.

Advertisement