Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do with life.

Options
  • 02-08-2010 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Is anyone else in a position or has been in a position in life where they don't have a clue what to do next. I'm 18 just finished my first year in college doing civil engineering. which i don't really like. i failed 5 of my 12 exams in it not because of bad attendance but general lack of interest. I don't get a grant so this is a huge failure because my parents paid the 1500 euro entrance fee. so I've got the repeats at the end of the month and i know i'm going to fail them also because i cant get my head in a book during the summer for something i don't like. my parents wont pay out again to repeat the year or change course(wouldn't blame them). i cant get the dole for another 3 months. there are no jobs i live in the middle of nowhere. id like to join the guards but i have no idea how, i registered on public jobs etc but nothing has happened since. What should i do next? I'm lost. I did **** in the leaving cert also only got 320 points. I've had a sore head this last week thinking hard about what to do with my life. where can i go and what can i do. i cant lay in the house much longer my parents are gonna kick me out.

I feel like I've failed in life while everyone else is full steam ahead. my friends all get a grant for college and all fu*cked up to but they changed course this year so they are as happy as Larry and don't give a **** in general(wish i was as lucky).:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Is anyone else in a position or has been in a position in life where they don't have a clue what to do next. I'm 18 just finished my first year in college doing civil engineering. which i don't really like. i failed 5 of my 12 exams in it not because of bad attendance but general lack of interest. I don't get a grant so this is a huge failure because my parents paid the 1500 euro entrance fee. so I've got the repeats at the end of the month and i know i'm going to fail them also because i cant get my head in a book during the summer for something i don't like. my parents wont pay out again to repeat the year or change course(wouldn't blame them). i cant get the dole for another 3 months. there are no jobs i live in the middle of nowhere. id like to join the guards but i have no idea how, i registered on public jobs etc but nothing has happened since. What should i do next? I'm lost. I did **** in the leaving cert also only got 320 points. I've had a sore head this last week thinking hard about what to do with my life. where can i go and what can i do. i cant lay in the house much longer my parents are gonna kick me out.

I feel like I've failed in life while everyone else is full steam ahead. my friends all get a grant for college and all fu*cked up to but they changed course this year so they are as happy as Larry and don't give a **** in general(wish i was as lucky).:(

Why don't you look more into this? A friend of mine did some kind of security course in Tullamore this year which is a gateway into the guards for her. You could research it and apply to the CAO for it next year. I don't think you'd need high points for it.

If you don't like Civil Engineering, there's no shame in dropping out. It might seem like a waste of money/a year now, but if you keep with it you might eventually feel like you've wasted your life doing something you're not interested in, you know? Hope it works out for you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I know how you feel, I found it really tough to pick a course for college and ended up reapeating because of it, and I've yet to find out if I have made the right decision.
    If you want to be in the guards you should apply now! My brother is in the guards and he didn't have a degree, he dropped out of college when he was accepted and was doing tourism and french! He appleied when he finished the LC but was turned down (because he was too young he thinks) but was accepted the following year. I thing if the guards is what you want to do you should go for it!
    Good luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

it amazes me how teachers and parents expect there children, who have just left school, to decide what career they would like to pursue for the rest of there lives when they have zero experience in the workforce and life for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

First off any questions about An Garda Siochana should be asked here because you will the answears you want and need
    Emergency Services Forum

I would just try and pass the exams continue on with College, get the degree and go into An Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

STOP! hammertime one step at a time

Firstly,you haven't failed at life,unless you're dead everything is a bonus.
    I get that you aren't sure what you want to do with life yet,the truth is no one does,even those that say they want to be X it'll change.
    I'm in a similar situation,I've failed stuff and have to repeat them this year,because I have almost no time for the subjects I failed,I hated them in school.
    Courses change a lot from first year,what attracted you to Civil Eng.?

You didn't do sh*t in the leaving,you took it, which beats about half the country.

If your determined to go for the Garda,it's not easy and I'll be honest damn near impossible now,I'd recommend you try and stick with college,maybe an internal transfer is still an option? they tend to mess up your fees a lot less.You're odds of getting in are higher with a college degree and we should be out of this recession by then,so it'd be easier to get most positions.

So long story short; Calm down one step at a time,it's only a job whatever you end up as,Clear your head and think of what YOU want,not what your parents can afford or what's easy,with grants and back to education payments anythings an option for you at this stage

Take care of yourself

• Advertisement
Advertisement