Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad bikes .

Options
  • 02-08-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

im pleased to see as from 31july 2010 quads/bikes have been banned off many mountains around the country .

more info can be viewed on mountaineering ireland .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

jwshooter wrote: »
    im pleased to see as from 31july 2010 quads/bikes have been banned off many mountains around the country .

Yaaaa haaaaaaaaeee
    about fekin time .
    Excellent news JW..... Keep up the good work :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fair enough if it keeps the racing idiots and dirt bike shower away.Bad news if it bans the likes of us from using them for carcass recovery,farmers from herding in sheep etc.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Fair enough if it keeps the racing idiots and dirt bike shower away.Bad news if it bans the likes of us from using them for carcass recovery,farmers from herding in sheep etc.

I'm just throwing out a wild guess here but, ya didn't go to the site and read the article did ya :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From the website........................
    The 13 sites choosen are designated “Natura 2000” sites by the EU and require a high level of environmental protection. The 13 are:

- The Raven SAC, Wexford;
    - Blackstairs Mountains SAC, Wexford/Carlow;
    - Wicklow Mountains SAC,Wicklow/Dublin;
    - Kilpatrick Sandhills SAC, Wexford;
    - Cahore Dunes Polder SAC Cahore Marshes SPA, Wexford;
    - Slieve Blooms SAC, SPA, Laois/Offaly;
    - Carlingford Mountain Louth;
    - Ballyness Bay SAC, Donegal;
    - Gweedore Bay Islands SAC Donegal;
    - Castlemaine Harbour SAC, SPA (including Inch Strand) Kerry;
    - Galtee Mountains SAC Limerick/Tipperary;
    - Slieve Bearnagh SAC Clare;
    - Slieve Aughty SPA Galway/Clare.

The regulations are not aimed at agricultural or other working use of quad bikes and other similar off-road vehicles or their use by the security and emergency services
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

And who/how are they going to enforce this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there is a web site called quads off lug have a look at the damage they do .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And who/how are they going to enforce this?
    It doesn't say. Only says
    If you have any photos or details of where this activity continues please email access@mountaineering.ie.

the_syco wrote: »
    It doesn't say. Only says

Exactly ! unless it is "policed" & enforced by people with some official power eg wildlife rangers, the legislation is useless :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Excuse my ignorance but what do the three letter acronyms mean i.e. SPA and SAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Vegeta wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what do the three letter acronyms mean i.e. SPA and SAC?
    Special Protected Area, and Special area of Conservation

• Advertisement

So another question on this, are Coillte allowed cut trees and run machinery on these mountains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

So another question on this, are Coillte allowed cut trees and run machinery on these mountains?

Yes Coillte can cut trees that they planted, SAC's are all over the country. Even some small groves are SAC's depends on the area

Similar to Jet skis being banned off most lakes, as fellas Hooning about messes it up for the majority of users.However Jet ski's may be used on certain parts of lakes.

Paperwork :rolleyes:

Of course they are. This is aimed at recreational bikers, not commercial users.
    They would have been much better off actually making an offroad park somewhere that the owners of these vehicles could use for a fee.
    But like so much legislation banning is much easier, CF pistols etc etc.......
    How are they going to police the 160k hectares?
    Will they have teams of highly trained quad riders to intercept and fine lawbreakers?

Yes Coillte can cut trees that they planted, SAC's are all over the country. Even some small groves are SAC's depends on the area

Just find it a bit odd, I live close to one of these locations and the only noticeable tracks were laid by Coillte. So why is ok for them to operate there and not the individual?

Carrauntoohil is well scarred by hill walkers. What's their excuse?

Obviously not all areas are the same, but it makes no sense locally anyway where the hill tops are scarred by much more permanent tracks than the ones laid by quads.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Of course they are. This is aimed at recreational bikers, not commercial users.

I understand this, but the reason for the introduction appears to be because recreational users are damaging these protected areas.

I find this reason a bit "off" considering the industrial nature of the work already going on in some of these locations. The stone roads are a lot more permanent, the tracks left by heavy machinery is more obvious and so on.

Just doesn't seem right that these areas are being protected from the individual but not from commercial interests. One rule for some and another rule for others.

Just doesn't seem right that these areas are being protected from the individual but not from commercial interests. One rule for some and another rule for others.
    I am in complete agreement. This smells like Herr Gormley has had his ear twisted by a bunch of hillwalkers and had to be seen to be doing the right thing.
    Like I said the ban stick is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭diveshark

They can't catch poachers on foot, so they have feck all chance of catching lads on quads/bikes etc.!!

Gormley is truley laughable, more and more rules, keeping himself in a job or what!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am in complete agreement. This smells like Herr Gormley has had his ear twisted by a bunch of hillwalkers and had to be seen to be doing the right thing.
    Like I said the ban stick is alive and well.

TBH I never even considered it from this point of view :eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A law that's not worth the paper it's written on.

1. Responsible quad owners don't rip up the ground they drive on, but will obey this new law.

2. Irresponsible drivers who do rip up the ground will ignore the law.

3. The law is as good as impossible to enforce.

Result: only irresponsible drivers will be out on our hills on their bikes!

Consider also that a loaded quad bike puts less psi on the ground than a hillwalker. When driven CAREFULLY they do less damage than a person out walking!

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm just throwing out a wild guess here but, ya didn't go to the site and read the article did ya :P

Read it on Sat's Indo TBH:p:p
    One area is affected where I deer hunt,not that you could get a quad up there,it's almost impossible to walk.But for a halfway down area it would be ideal to have a quad for carcass removal.All in all it's more "laws" without the enforcement capability.
    Should add;I've seen more damgge done by farmers with their tractors and forestry machinery trying to get up hills in the wrong time of year than I've seen with quad bikes.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

jwshooter wrote: »

Pity it isnt the road passing my house as well.
    I am sick of quads passing by every night at 2300 hours with small children in the house.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Read it on Sat's Indo TBH:p:p
    One area is affected where I deer hunt,not that you could get a quad up there,it's almost impossible to walk.But for a halfway down area it would be ideal to have a quad for carcass removal.All in all it's more "laws" without the enforcement capability.
    Should add;I've seen more damgge done by farmers with their tractors and forestry machinery trying to get up hills in the wrong time of year than I've seen with quad bikes.

The difference being tractors/forestry machinery are there for a purpose. Recreational quads are often no more than big boys toys, who don't ask can they go a place in the first instance.

Agree about the law enforcement, doesn't stand a chance. The most that will come out of it is walkers and others phoning in reports, I'm guessing there won't be lightning reaction times..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Carrauntoohil is well scarred by hill walkers. What's their excuse?
    To be fair, the vandals doing that are to hill walkers what bank robbers are to us. I spent most of my childhood walking up around that part of the world and not destroying where you were walking was so fundamental and basic a thing that it'd be more likely that you'd have gone walking up there without boots than to have gone walking and dumped rubbish or set fires or the like.

Sparks wrote: »
    To be fair, the vandals doing that are to hill walkers what bank robbers are to us. I spent most of my childhood walking up around that part of the world and not destroying where you were walking was so fundamental and basic a thing that it'd be more likely that you'd have gone walking up there without boots than to have gone walking and dumped rubbish or set fires or the like.

I am not talking about vandals at all Sparks, just the weight of numbers walking a noticeable trail into the side of the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Last I heard was a good few years back, but weren't they talking about putting in logs across the marked path to reinforce it to stop that?

Sparks wrote: »
    Last I heard was a good few years back, but weren't they talking about putting in logs across the marked path to reinforce it to stop that?

I did it earlier this year and no sign of anything like that and we went up one route and down another.

I have no problem myself with trails left by humans, horses or quads it's just I would hope to see even application of the law.

I cant even drive a quad let alone own one it just irks me to see such re-active non-sense legislation. Pkiernan is spot on, only people who are responsible anyway will obey these laws and the guys doing the damage will continue and fail to be caught

I
    I cant even drive a quad let alone own one it just irks me to see such re-active non-sense legislation.
    Thats what happens when a minor partner in a largely corrupt coalition gets pressurised by extremist elements within the party.
    Dog bills, stag hunting, off road bikes, all fiddling while Rome is made into lumps of charcoal.
    Meanwhile the allegations that a corrupt senator have been fraudulently obtaining money for non-existent telephones is glossed over as *antics*.
    You can be damn sure that if a prosecution for quadbike riding was taken it wouldn't be described as antics by anyone in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Pkiernan wrote: »
    A law that's not worth the paper it's written on.

1. Responsible quad owners don't rip up the ground they drive on, but will obey this new law.

2. Irresponsible drivers who do rip up the ground will ignore the law.

3. The law is as good as impossible to enforce.

Result: only irresponsible drivers will be out on our hills on their bikes!

Consider also that a loaded quad bike puts less psi on the ground than a hillwalker. When driven CAREFULLY they do less damage than a person out walking!

i take it your a quad biker ,have you ever been on heather with it .

• Advertisement

Too dangerous up in my neck of the woods...er..bog.Too many unmarked ,grown over and flooded deep turf cuttings.

Advertisement