Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad bikes .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

jwshooter wrote: »
    i take it your a quad biker ,have you ever been on heather with it .

I have 2 quads, yes, but have yet to drive them on public land in Ireland.

I haven't driven on heather, nor would I for (a) fear of damaging it, and (b) God knows what would be under it.

I also don't walk on heather when I am in the hills.

The points I made are still valid. Another feel-good law that doesn't and indeed cannot offer any solution.

As an example, I was hiking up in the Wicklow hills a few months back. Middle of nowhere country. There was a dirt-biker ripping up and down the treks with little regard for anyone. This law will not stop him from repeating his actions, as he won't be apprehended (unless he happens to drive up to a ranger and turn himself in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭kilmuckridge

Unlike on mountains where there are tens of thousands of hectares to police, the Kilmuckridge-Tinnaberna sandhills comprise little over 50 hectares, with only two access points: Tinnaberna and Kilmuckridge (Morriscastle Strand). It is an area where enforcement would be very easy, as the offenders have to leave via one of these. The SAC was to be protected along with all sandhills, but the regulations were changed since an earlier draft was presented to environmental groups. With several sites in Wexford protected, more quads may turn up in Kilmuckridge. The grey dunes in Kilmuckridge have been damaged by quads already, see photos at:
    http://sites.google.com/site/kilmuckridge1/quads
    and are under severe pressure due to other factors already, with 50% of the SAC's grey dunes destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Unlike on mountains where there are tens of thousands of hectares to police, the Kilmuckridge-Tinnaberna sandhills comprise little over 50 hectares, with only two access points: Tinnaberna and Kilmuckridge (Morriscastle Strand). It is an area where enforcement would be very easy, as the offenders have to leave via one of these. The SAC was to be protected along with all sandhills, but the regulations were changed since an earlier draft was presented to environmental groups. With several sites in Wexford protected, more quads may turn up in Kilmuckridge. The grey dunes in Kilmuckridge have been damaged by quads already, see photos at:
    http://sites.google.com/site/kilmuckridge1/quads
    and are under severe pressure due to other factors already, with 50% of the SAC's grey dunes destroyed
    Doesn't seem to be very much damage there to me. I see the grass is a bit thrown over but no scraws turned or the likes. Most respected quaders or bikers wouldn't go there anyway as it's not suitable ground for the sport. Is that area farmed? Might be farmers. Is it a commonage?

Ps. those pics might not be doing justice to the immediate damage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭kilmuckridge

Hi kay9
    The area is a special area of conservation, the destruction of vegetation/disturbing wildlife by use of vehicles on such an area is illegal but without a specific ban, quad users from other areas who do not know this may think it is legal to quad here. These pictures were taken in April, not that many quads are in the area at that time. It would be illegal for a farmer to have driven there as it is going nowhere along the beach front. Farmers may only use their quads for agricultural purposes.

The danger is that with quading banned in so many nearby sites, attention will be drawn to kilmuckridge or similar sites which should be protected. See the main website for the destruction which has been ongoing in kilmuckridge for 8 years http://sites.google.com/site/kilmuckridge1/photos/5
    the grey dunes of Kilmuckridge have suffered enough!

The disturbance that quading can do in an area like this is vast. Birds nest in this marram grass and other wildlife also live there. The use of quads could cause further habitat fragmentation and also change the equilibrium of the ecosystem. Endangered species of orchids and delicate lichens also live in these dunes and could be wiped out very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks for the reply lad, I get where yer coming from with disturbing nests etc and totally agree with this as quading in such areas is not necessary. In time it will/would have got worse and possibly to such a level that it would be irreversible. Can't personally get why people are biking in such areas as I have a keen interest in the sport myself but we stick to forest runs and tracks and it doesn't bother anyone. Such dense grassy sand planes aren't suitable. Ah cowboys I suppose ruining it on everyone else, same as a few in the shooting community doing illigitimate s*it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement