Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back problems - advice needed

• 03-08-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hi, i Love to cycle.i have a racing bicycle suitable for long distances got it in cycleways and love my bicycle :)
    however, i am sick of having upper back problems, whenever i do a long cycle ie 2/2 & a half hours my upper back is killing me, i end up going to the physio etc..............
    anyhow, i have been thinking if i got a mountain bike whereby i was in an upright position without having to bend my back or shoulders as severe as with the racer i may not have as much pain.

has anyone the same experience as myself?

i would appreciate any advice.........
    also, if i was purchasing a mountain bicycle - any recommendations the type of bike and any particular shop? i am a lady cyclist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

someone in another thread has recommended bikefitting ireland (google it), maybe your saddle isn't at the right height?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Sounds like your bike is too big for you and you are over stretching your back/shoulders. Do you know what size bike you have? Have a quick read and see if the bike fits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

i had bad shoulder problems from cycling and got xrays done. Went to see this sports therapist who tours with riverdance and he said its just all from stiffness. Gave me needle therapy and i was as good as new. Since i was loser i was able to move much more on the bike. I can pass on his number has a city center office if ya like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I was getting upper back & shoulder pain on my new bike too (I have long-term back, shoulder & arm pain so was to be expected).

Be careful on the bike that you're not hunching your shoulders, try keep good posture and maybe do a few upper body stretches before going out on the bike.
    The local bike shop suggested I slide the saddle forward by a few mm and that seems to have solved it for me, maybe try that and the bike fittings as in the posts above before forking out more cash on a mtb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cjodea

Had similar problems which seem to be mostly sorted now. After three hours or so, I'd hardly be able to move my upper back or neck.

Two things to try:

Shorten the distance between the handlebars and the saddle. You could try a shorter stem to achieve this. Getting a bike fit would probably be a big help here.

The other thing to try is to relax your elbows. I used to ride with pretty rigid arms. Relaxing my elbows has really made long rides way more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Go get a proper bike fit and let them know about your problems.

Advertisement