Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bottles are turning orange!

Options
  • 03-08-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

We use the Avent bottles and recently we have started putting them in the dishwasher. The only thing is that they have started turning orange! I don't know why as we don't eat baked beans or tomato soup which I would imagine to be the guilty culprits in bottle staining.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way of getting the bottles back to their former glory? I don't really want to bleach them for obvious reasons. Do you think bi-carb of soda might help with the staining? I assume that if washed properly afterward this would be safe for baby?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No ideas of getting them back to their former glory but anything would turn them orange... if you eat lasagne/spaghetti bolognaise or anything even slightly tinged would stain them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i read somewhere that if u rub vegetable oil into a lunch box it will remove stain never tried it but it might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Use a lower temperature setting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

In my experience beans etc make them pink more than orange. I think the tannen from tea can make them orange. Rinse your mugs before sticking them in.

Personally I wouldn't wash them at a lower temp until the baby is a year but it would probably solve the problem.

I descale mine once a month in citric acid helps make them sparkle a bit!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Spaghetti bolognaise did it for us;) All the bottle tops went orange.
    Soaking them in milton helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I guess we use a lot of chopped tomatoes in our cooking so that'd be why they've gone orange!

I'll try the milton I think! Anything is worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

anything with tomato will turn them orange.. i used the dishwasher once or twice for the bottles, i have the tommie tippie ones and it didn't clean under the rim properly.. i just wash them when he's finished and when they're all done throw them in the sterilizer..
    i only use 3 now since he's started solids.. :)

cbyrd wrote: »
    anything with tomato will turn them orange.. i used the dishwasher once or twice for the bottles, i have the tommie tippie ones and it didn't clean under the rim properly.. i just wash them when he's finished and when they're all done throw them in the sterilizer..
    i only use 3 now since he's started solids.. :)

We're on 3 bottles a day too! Its brilliant! She has 3 bottles of water a day too so we're still having to wash and sterilize 6 bottles a day!

i have managed to get him drinking out of a cup or a glass... he'll drink the water that way otherwise he just dribbles it down his chin if i give it to him in the bottle.

I'm thinking of quitting the sterilising soon..
    he's chewing things everywhere..

it's funny to see him roll off his blanket and lick the floor... while i'm rinsing his bottles to sterilise them... :rolleyes:

Yep pretty much no point in sterilizing anymore if they're licking the floor and chewing the dogs ears and stuff haha

• Advertisement

Really?? I just assumed you HAVE to sterilize for the forst year, although I do find it silly when Megan is rolling around on the floor and licking our smelly feet and stuff!

Might think about packing the ol steriliser away...

Really?? I just assumed you HAVE to sterilize for the forst year, although I do find it silly when Megan is rolling around on the floor and licking our smelly feet and stuff!

Well the book the PHN gave me about bottle feeds says if you have a dishwasher it's ok to use that after 6 months on the hot wash.

I stopped sterilising at 8 months with Addison as she was licking everything at the stage, the floor, the dog, my feet, her dads feet, the television stand etc... and just washed them in hot soapy water and rinsed well. She's never once been the doctor... apart from the time she was in hospital with her eye and injections.

Just finished up on Saoirse and she's doing fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I`ve got a question for ya`s, by mistake I had sterilized some baby bottle in my Advent sterilizer, but what I did`nt know was that my wife had already put in the citric acid mix to descale it before.
    It did`nt finish the cycle but I`d still like to know is there any danger?
    What affect would the citric acid have on the bottles?
    Cheers

lewis wrote: »
    I`ve got a question for ya`s, by mistake I had sterilized some baby bottle in my Advent sterilizer, but what I did`nt know was that my wife had already put in the citric acid mix to descale it before.
    It did`nt finish the cycle but I`d still like to know is there any danger?
    What affect would the citric acid have on the bottles?
    Cheers

It'll has no effect on the bottles themselves (in fact I descale mine with it).

As long as you rinsed them before putting milk in them you're grand.

I just want to make it clear that the Citric Acid mix was still in the sterilizer with the bottles and it was all steamed for a while....

lewis wrote: »
    I just want to make it clear that the Citric Acid mix was still in the sterilizer with the bottles and it was all steamed for a while....

Yep I got that, my reply stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

its basically just vinegar/ lemon juice.

Had a talk with the doc, she said it would be grand, just wash them well and there good to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Really?? I just assumed you HAVE to sterilize for the forst year,
    Yes I find that everybody is told here in Ireland to sterilize, when in fact it's no longer necessary.
    In the past, people used to sterilize water if it came from a well, to kill bacteria. So unless you live in a very old house with water coming from a well (not the mains) or if it still has lead pipes, you shouldn't worry about sterilizing at all anymore.
    Of course, in Ireland we sometimes have unbelievable stories about water being unproper for utilisation as when it happens in the west of the country and everybody has to buy bottled water even to cook pasta...
    Pack away the steriliser and enjoy your new freedom.

Op, I think that only a new set of bottles and only careful hand washing can give you spotless bottles.

• Advertisement

Yes I find that everybody is told here in Ireland to sterilize, when in fact it's no longer necessary.
    In the past, people used to sterilize water if it came from a well, to kill bacteria. So unless you live in a very old house with water coming from a well (not the mains) or if it still has lead pipes, you shouldn't worry about sterilizing at all anymore.
    Of course, in Ireland we sometimes have unbelievable stories about water being unproper for utilisation as when it happens in the west of the country and everybody has to buy bottled water even to cook pasta...
    Pack away the steriliser and enjoy your new freedom.

Op, I think that only a new set of bottles and only careful hand washing can give you spotless bottles.

Thanks! I actually stopped sterilizing months ago! A few mre weeks and formula is gone too! Happy days! :D

Thanks! I actually stopped sterilizing months ago! A few mre weeks and formula is gone too! Happy days! :D

Can't wait for the day that I walk into Tesco and DON'T walk the the baby formula aisle haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Hey my bad! I didn't check the date of your original post! Good for you! And happy days indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

The topic of sterilizing when water from a well is interesting. We have a well, as there is no mains water in the area, mad considering we're literally on the outskirts of Cork city!!
    Anyhow, I am sterilizing with milton these days as my steam sterilizer packed up, and will continue to do so until she is finished with bottles most likely, really no major trouble!
    What I am wondering though is whether we should get the well tested or anything? We always drink the water and is is way nicer than mains, no chlorine or anything. Is it safe for baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

fi1979 wrote: »
    The topic of sterilizing when water from a well is interesting. We have a well, as there is no mains water in the area, mad considering we're literally on the outskirts of Cork city!!
    Anyhow, I am sterilizing with milton these days as my steam sterilizer packed up, and will continue to do so until she is finished with bottles most likely, really no major trouble!
    What I am wondering though is whether we should get the well tested or anything? We always drink the water and is is way nicer than mains, no chlorine or anything. Is it safe for baby?

It's a good idea to have a well tested every 10 years or so. As long as it's not polluted and the well is deep enough or comes from a good underground stream water from a well is going to be far superior to recycled, chlorinated water.

My four siblings, two nieces and nephew all drank well water from when we were babies and we've all got excellent health. As I said, as long as the well isn't contaminated...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I would have always assumed thaqt the water is perfect, just all that talk of sterilising because of well water got me a bit worried:rolleyes:

The well water should be fine once baby is weaned completely, but if you're unsure just boil it first and keep a supply in the fridge..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

fi1979 wrote: »
    I would have always assumed thaqt the water is perfect, just all that talk of sterilising because of well water got me a bit worried:rolleyes:

If you all drink the water from it without adverse effects then it is probably fine. Chlorine, Flouride and other additives to treated water aren't ideal - which is why a lot of people end up buying bottled spring water, from wells :)

I think you should consider yourself very lucky. I wish I had access to well water instead of Dublin Corpo's offering.

Squiggler wrote: »
    If you all drink the water from it without adverse effects then it is probably fine. Chlorine, Flouride and other additives to treated water aren't ideal - which is why a lot of people end up buying bottled spring water, from wells :)

I think you should consider yourself very lucky. I wish I had access to well water instead of Dublin Corpo's offering.

I agree completely.. i moved last year back into a town... i had a well. It's taken me ages to get used to the water again .. i can smell the chlorine and it tastes like muck :D I used to bring big bottles from my friends house just to have nice tea :rolleyes: so i started drinking strong coffee :)

• Advertisement

Can't wait for the day that I walk into Tesco and DON'T walk the the baby formula aisle haha...

I've started putting cows milk in with her formula to get her used to the taste. Don't want to be weaning her off of it after her first birthday!

She seems to love it! Drinking her bottle better than she has done in ages!

Advertisement