Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which of these jackets for XC MTB ? - something breathable / cant decide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The best you can get is a jacket made from either eVent or Goretex. Wiggle have a DHB eVent jacket which is the cheapest I've seen.

You will still sweat in it though. You don't really need a waterproof jacket for MTB. Wear warm, wicking layers and you'll be fine. Waterproof jackets are only really useful for absolutely horrendous muddy/cold conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

I'd agree with Gavin. Unless it's really really bad weather normal layers work best. Although it does depend on the type of cycling you do. If you go out and do a lot of standing around then you might need something a bit better. But if you keep moving then thermal base layer, either long or short sleeve depending on how cold it is and long sleeve winter jacket... even in the depths of winter I'd only wear a thermal, light long sleeve jersey and long sleeve thermal jacket. If it rains you dry out really quick and you dont' get the problems of massive sweat build up if it's not that cold and raining...a very light rain proof jacket in the pocket is handy in cases it turns really bad.

sorry I've no recommendations as all the gear I use is custom made club kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ 1 for layers & a light waterproof layer to carry with you.

BTW, waterproof is rarley 100% effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The eVENT fabric is great. I am selling one here, it is just the wrong size (I replaced with same one size smaller. ) €150 new from Wiggle, wore it for a week, looking for €80. It is 100% waterproof and yet the most breathable I have ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks, will run with the layers idea.

I still want to get a decent breathable jacket. So still on the look out.
    If anyone sees a good one, please post the url

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A very light jacket like the Pocket Rocket is useful as it stops the wind and helps to stop you getting too cold. Anything heavier and you will be as wet on the inside as the outside. The pocket rocket is great because it packs down like a tesco carrier bag and you are likely to actually bring it with you!

http://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867-en_gb/5360038385/pocket-rocket-waterproof-cycling-jacket-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=30002

Advertisement