Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European largers

• 03-08-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Anyone made a good european largers at home...like a pilsner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Unless you have a way to ferment the beer at low temperatures, i.e. a modded fridge, you'll never be able to make a proper Lager at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

I'm making a full pharmaceutical grade micro brewery kit in my garage as i have half the stuff already, the mechanical engineer knowledge and another 20k budget

Malt Miller
    Mash/Lauter Tun
    Boiling/whirlpool kettle
    Hot water Tank
    Wort cooler
    Ice water Tank
    Cold water Tank
    Fermentation Tank
    Bright beer Tank
    Control system
    Refrigeration Machine
    CIP system
    Yeast Dosing Tank
    Candle Filter
    Keg filling machine
    Keg cleaning machine
    Pumps and other small fit

enough plant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

You going pro merlynthewizard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes do tell more...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

Sorry lads i was away working, I'm not going pro , it's just a hobbie i'm looking into.

I'm a mechanical pharmaceutical equipment engineer who now works on rotation in Oil and gas....also a qualified fridge engineer and a welder so i thought if i bought the parts i'd built something out back ..myself and my mates can spend a few years playing around with it and see if we come up with anything good (getting drunk on the way)

Maybe one day we could sell some..who knows, priced up all that listed above at around 300l production for less than 20k plus some elbow greece.

BTW i've never brewed before but love the ales and other micro brew stuff and have been interested for years,traveled all over Europe for beer festivals etc..

I'll keep you up dated here..we i return from my next overseas work rotation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭poitinstill

most people start with a plastic bucket so they know how to brew :) then go get the shiny kit when they are experienced enough to use it. but as you say its a good way to kill time between your oil rig shifts best of luck with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Hi merlynthewizard,

That is some serious kit you are looking at getting. What size batches are you planning to do?

The mash of a lager can give you pH problems, as there are no dark grains to help acidify the mash. You can adjust this with brewing salts, acid malt, or food grade acid additions.

The important thing with lager is fermentation temperature control. You need to use the right yeast and keep it fermenting at 9 or 10 degrees. You may also need to raise the temperature to 14C for a while as a diacetyl rest and then lager at 0C or -1 for a few weeks.

If you have never brewed before, you would be well advised to start off with something fairly forgiving, like an ale or stout. Lager is very tricky. It's such a subtly flavoured beer that even the slightest flaw stands out a mile, so you need your process down pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

acid malt

I love putting acid malt in my mouth. It is all fizzy and malty :D

Advertisement