Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Galway in September

Options
  • 03-08-2010 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Any suggestions on worthwhile places to have a drink or catch a good trad session?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The Quays is quite good, popular with the Americans (not in a bad way - it's popular with the locals too!).

Don't listen to too much trad myself. Check out The Cellar for some good modern bands though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

astoirin wrote: »
    Any suggestions on worthwhile places to have a drink or catch a good trad session?
    I'm open to correction but I'm fairly sure a pub called "Tigh Chóilí" has regular sessions. It's located at the bottom of Shop Street, at a fork in the pedestrianised street (on the right).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭NUIG_FiannaFail

Should be a good party atmosphere in the College Bar in NUIG for the month of septmeber. Definitly get down there. Hole in the Wall is probably the best pub in the town itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Should be a good party atmosphere in the College Bar in NUIG for the month of septmeber. Definitly get down there. Hole in the Wall is probably the best pub in the town itself.

Oh God, its going to be mad in September again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

The Crane bar down on Sea Road is great for trad music. Tigh Chóilí is also a good place and there is also Monroes on dominic street that have live bads playing, depending on the day might be different, but they usually a mixture and if hungry they serve pizza in the pub till 11-12 at night.

Don't mind the poster from 2 posts above(NUIG_FiannaFail), he is the regular forum troll quite amusing to read his posts sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

taffes on shop street has regular trad sessions from what i remember and its right across the road from tigh choilí! the quays is also good

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

If your looking for Trad then then the Crane bar is the place to be. Especially in september as the university's TradSoc will be back in action. It really is a great night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hole in the Wall is probably the best pub in the town itself.

Have you ever been in any other pub in Galway? :confused:

The Hole in the Wall is full of drunk 19 year old students - which is fine IF you're a 19 year old student. For everyone else it's a place to be avoided.

And there's no trad there.

Go to The Crane OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Several pubs have trad but yeah, Crane is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

+1 for The Crane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Don't listen to anything this guy has to say & that's a good start anyway. I to think the crane is good for a session. & definately the quays to although it can be uncomfortably packed at times.

& let me think....good pints.....in murphy's, naughton's, the salt house, massimos, & the two above as well. Avoid the cellar, the kings head, the living room, the front door & the dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 astoirin

Hmm...as intriguing as masses of inebriated college kinder sounds - I think I may have to pass.

Thoughts on the Roisin Dubh anyone? What nights are people generally out and about?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Taffes/The Crane/Kings head good for trad. Rosin Dubh is good, sometimes have a good band or a comedian, theres fliers goin around telling you whats on and where, youll get them in most pubs. Students generally go out Tuesdays and Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

NUIG FF is a proven troll and never to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Roisin is good for a pint, also for live music. Listings are here:
    http://www.roisindubh.net

Yes, the Crane would be the best place for trad music alright, and is quite probably the only place near the city centre where you will always find a session Friday or Saturday night - everywhere else gets just too busy.

Crane session listings are here:
    http://www.thecranebar.com

Most of the musicians at the Crane are locals who have a regular session 'slot', but there are also one-off gigs upstairs. Might attract a cover charge depending on who is playing.

Ti Coili, Quays, Kings Head etc. would also be well known. While I'm at it, trad sessions can also be found at the following lesser known locations..
    - Wednesdays, Cookes Thatch Bar, Newcastle Rd/Mary's Rd
    - Thursdays, PJ's bar, Lower Salthill
    - Thursdays, Western Hotel, Prospect Hill
    - An Pucan, Forster St, various times
    - Fridays, Menlo Park Hotel, Headford Rd (still going as far as I know)
    - Occasional sessions in Club Aras na nGael?

There may be others of course. But hopefully the above will be useful..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ti Coili, Quays, Kings Head etc. would also be well known. While I'm at it, trad sessions can also be found at the following lesser known locations..
    - Wednesdays, Cookes Thatch Bar, Newcastle Rd/Mary's Rd
    - Thursdays, PJ's bar, Lower Salthill
    - Thursdays, Western Hotel, Prospect Hill
    - An Pucan, Forster St, various times
    - Fridays, Menlo Park Hotel, Headford Rd (still going as far as I know)
    - Occasional sessions in Club Aras na nGael?

There may be others of course. But hopefully the above will be useful..

Also:

Thursdays - Murty Rabbits, Forster St
    Possibly Lohans, Salthill on Saturday nights - don't know if it's still going.

Club Aras na nGael? Yes, first Saturday of each month (at least, maybe other weeks too)

Advertisement