Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram 2 gig sticks much difference?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

I've a motherboard which is limited in its number of slots for ram (only 2) but I need to up my ram and I was wondering if a 2 gig ram stick genuinely delivers the same as 2 1 gig sticks or is there alot of loss due to it being squeezed into 1 stick?

Also is 800 mhz an ok standard or can I easily find better for reasonable price and is it worth going higher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i assume it uses better processing to fit more onto a single chip, like the jump from 65nm to 45nm technology. Other than that estimation, not the foggiest. googlification seems to suggest that the CAS timings are tighter on lower capacity RAM.

800 is fine and dandy for DDR2. Anything that supports DDR3 will at least support it at 1033 as a staple for ddr3 processors and motherboards; and almost all run at least 1333mhz but from what I read theres no big important hurry to rush to throw out your ddr2 for a ddr3 build, the performance boost is marginal and what you're mostly getting is more performance per watt - lower temps.

Specific to your situation theres not a whole heap of beans difference between 2x2 and 2x1 in terms of speed. I'd say the capacity would be more important. Gaming will gladly chomp up 3 gigs of ram if given the chance to. But, if you're talking about only filling up a single ram slot with a 2gb stick? I'd definitely fill both slots, especially if the board supports to dual channel, which most modern boards ought to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hey thanks for your advice

But I seem to have hit some bizarre problem

This is my board (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NbPl2dEQ4bqIbUVd&templete=2)

and I got 2X2gb ram sticks from maplins (in UK and cant order from komplett like I normally do) they sent me the wrong brand but its still ddr 2 -800 its a PQI brand and its dual channel (what I ordered http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221756)

Anyway I popped them in and my computer wont start, it turns on but the screen remains blank and it doesnt boot, I swap them same thing, I pop in my old ram and it boots back up as normal (unless I have them in the wrong order then it does the same thing, no boot).

I've updated my bios and I've told Vista to allow up to 4 gig but neither helped. Any idea whats causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

My guess is the ram isn't on the QLV and therefore no supported by your mobo = Qualified vendors list, got to the Asus global page, key in your mobo and go to the downloads page (the downloads section in your link didn't load for me)

The first item in the downloads list is this: Qualified Vendor List (1) - download it, my bet is the ram isn't covered,

return the ram to maplin (they sent you the wrong ram so it shouldn't be a problem).

EDIT - I'm on a roll tonight,

I got to the downloads section and checked the QLV

No 800MHZ ram is supported for that mobo, it starts at 1066 - and the only Adata ram (this is your brand right? On maplin is says Viestra but has a picture of Adata,

if the ram is pqi and not the same ram in the link, it's
    the only adata ram that's supported is this 1033ghz kit - AD31333G002GMU

It looks like Maplin are selling rubbish ram, and it is overpriced for the spec. Return it!

BTW never saw that mobo before for internet cafes - very cool

EDIT again:

I'm wrong but still right! Was looking at the QLV for another board by accident,

Could you post the memory chip number e.g. it will be like a code 64mx8d2-e or something

There is no 4gig kit of PQI Ram on the QLV, so I think this certainly is unsupported ram,

Could you post the memory chip number e.g. it will be like a code 64mx8d2-e or something

Hey man thanks for all your help. Do you want the memory chip code on the new ram sticks...

there doesnt seem to be one the closest is cl5-5-5-15 and a long ass serial number followed by -1 or -2 depending which one you look at.

no probs at all

yea the ram sucks, get it replaced by something on the QVL,

let me know how you get on, cheers,

• Advertisement

shame, ASUS has since come out with a new feature called MemOK! which probably would have been a big help in seeing if there was any saving that RAM.

Best to think of the RAM as Dead on Arrival. Other than that I could possibly suggest getting the rated specs (Voltage and Timings) from the manufacturer; then, with the old RAM get into the BIOS and change the Timings and Drive/volt settings to match; Save changes and Exit; then power down and swap in the new stuff and see if it wont work.

zappb wrote: »
    EDIT - I'm on a roll tonight,

I got to the downloads section and checked the QLV

No 800MHZ ram is supported for that mobo, it starts at 1066 - and the only Adata ram (this is your brand right? On maplin is says Viestra but has a picture of Adata,

if the ram is pqi and not the same ram in the link, it's
    the only adata ram that's supported is this 1033ghz kit - AD31333G002GMU

It looks like Maplin are selling rubbish ram, and it is overpriced for the spec. Return it!

BTW never saw that mobo before for internet cafes - very cool

EDIT again:

I'm wrong but still right! Was looking at the QLV for another board by accident,

There is no 4gig kit of PQI Ram on the QLV, so I think this certainly is unsupported ram,
    Yeah I was gonna say: the board specs clearly say

2 x240-pin DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR2 800/667/533 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel memory architecture

So the ram ought to be supported.

My only concern is why are the heat spreaders pink? Thats atrocious.

On a serious note Im skeptical of a vendor that doesnt list out the specs on Hardware of all things. Most e-tailers publish the x-x-x-xx timings and the running voltage right there on the item page.

edit:

You can zoom in on this Sticks image: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=99155 see the number in brackets "(ADJKD1A16)" The model number you want will be in those brackets on your sticks.

Anyway if the item page sas the cas is 5 im guessing (perhaps incorrectly, wtf knows) that the timings are 5-5-5-15. DDR2 voltage is standard at 1.8 but some manufacturers specify at 2.2V
    According to JEDEC[1] the maximum recommended voltage is 1.9 volts and should be considered the absolute maximum when memory stability is an issue (such as in servers or other mission critical devices). In addition, JEDEC states that memory modules must withstand up to 2.3 volts before incurring permanent damage (although they may not actually function correctly at that level).

I'd go with 1.8, 5-5-5-15 and see how you get on. If you still get bupkis 2.2 might be required... and dont go any higher than that.

I'd go with 1.8, 5-5-5-15 and see how you get on. If you still get bupkis 2.2 might be required... and dont go any higher than that.

so under memory voltage i set: 1.812 or 1.863 and if that doesnt work 2.209 or 2.260 (going from manual here)

where do I make the other change?

btw this is the ram I got sent

http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?TT=1&cate1=164&PROID=358#1

and pics

http://www.pqi.com.tw/upload/photo/power%20memory_4GB_package_300dpi%282%29.jpg

and back
    http://www.pqi.com.tw/upload/photo/power%20memory_back_package_300dpi%282%29.jpg

Overheal

How can I ever repay you?

If you ever want hot sexy fat man sex just ask, cause it WORKS!!!

I did what you recommended and it came to life!!! my only issue is setting the memory speed there was no option for 800 mhz (which the manual said there should have been) so I set to 400 mhz and it worked, dont know if its affecting the speed or if thats right cause the only other high option was 533mhz which I wasnt sure about.

GG Overheal! We've got some great techies on here, and nicely done Blitz but hot sexy fat man sex?

Overheal deserves to have the body of a god sleeping beside him at night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Zappb, ever hear of the Chinese depiction of Buddha? :D

(even though he wasn't a god, many people still think he is)

This thread got weird and homosexual :confused::p glad I could help you MacGuyver the problem though. Got a sister?
    so I set to 400 mhz and it worked, dont know if its affecting the speed or if thats right cause the only other high option was 533mhz which I wasnt sure about.
    I had a similar conniption when I got my new DDR3 1333 ram it runs according to some programs like speccy @667 but the actual fact being its DDR - Double Data Rate. On the voltage spike, like a tranverse wave you learned in t3h science: instead of just doing work on one whole wave, it does work on the way up and the way down the wave. So 400mhz should actually be working effectively at 800mhz.

then everything fits as intended

thanks to you I was finally able to finish the last level of starcraft 2 without my computer killing itself!

Advertisement