Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in the Tolka - Becoming a member

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Interested in fishing the Tolka or the Finglas, North Dublin area in general. What club would I need to join? How much does it cost. Who do I go to to join up? Also, is the Tolka good for fishing? Heard it gets stocked each year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

tolks is stocked regularaly as far as I know. You have to buy a licence looking at €25 for a licence for the season, however, season is finished in September, so to be honest its not really worth your while joining now. Can get a bit rough at times down by the river so im not a big fan of fishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

the tackle shop in mulhuddart will sort you there are nicer spots up around clonee its only 25 euro so if you fish it support the local club....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

the tolka has great potential sadly it is a much abused river, it has the potential to have more fly hatches than most other rivers of comparable size in Ireland. and therefore it has the ability to grow big trout (both browns and sea) it still gets some seatrout with some big ones caught now and again, sadly urbanisation, pollution, drainage etc have taken their toll on this river... I was up in the botanic gardens last year and i saw a good few trout in the river, not sure if you can fish up there though, i suspect not. i would head upstream way from the city if i was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I agree Ironbluedun. I have fished the tolka from the time I was a kid and what annoys me is the lack of fish down the further reaches of the river closer to Botanic Gardens. From Violet hill all the way around, you can fish the opposite bank to the botanics but you cant fish in the gardens its self. I took a walk down a couple of months ago and to say the river was barely visable from the amount of fly hatching over it would be an understatement. However, I didnt see one fish rishing (other than countless minnow, which incidently I didnt know rise for fly!:o) Pity would be nice to have such a local river theming with fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mckibben

hi. coming to this a year late but last post mentioned fishing downstream of botanics. is that runner at all? I know the river looks very dead in arthur griffith park but what about the bit between bots and the park? i usually fish the liffey out in kildare but as I live in drumcondra some local fly fishing for trout would be great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement