Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some good Steak

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am looking to get some nice fillet steak or more over a chateau briand style cut, where would be the best place in Dublin someone could recommend?

Needs to feed five people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

FX Buckleys at the bottom of Moore St. is good if you're in the centre of town, but I usually get mine outside of Dublin in a wholesale shop at the bck of the industrial park on your way into Dunshaughlin (farmhouse foods i think it's called). it's good meat, they will do a discount if you buy a heap of stuff from them, they are happy to get in whatever you like AND it's on my way home from work. :)

i usually spend about 100 quid or so in there at a time and usually come out with a whole striploin & pork loin to cut myself into thick steaks), a 7kg box of chicken thighs (that they order a couple of days before and de-bone for me for free), a heap of minced beef pre-bagged in 1kg packs, heaps of rashers and sausies & pudding etc. and eggs & cheese and allsorts. they've only a small shop, but there's a whole warehouse behind it.

all that gets portioned up and frozen and usually does me and herself about 6-8 weeks or more. :)

back on topic though, if you're feeding 5 people, you'd probably want to stick with a fillet as some people can be funny about fatty steaks, so unless you're sure they are all fine with some fat and gristle in their steaks, it's best to keep with the safe bet.

also the Chataubriand cut of beef *should* be made with the thickest centre part of a fillet, but that's not always what you'll end up with if you order it in a restaurant, for practical reasons but for the most part, it is normally just a thick piece of fillet.

personally, i've always been a fan of striploin as it has good marbling and it's relatively easy to cook a good steak with it.

a good way to lift the succulence, flavour and texture of any steak, is to cover it (completely, all over) in good rock salt for 10-60 minutes before you cook it and then wash it off and pat it dry before cooking.

any chef will tell you not to salt your steak before frying because it draws out moisture and they right to say it, but this isn't the same thing.

the idea is that initially the salt will draw out some of the moisture from the steak, but that osmosis will draw that moisture and some of the elements of the salt back in and tenderise the steak like nothing else on earth. i know it sounds like crazy talk, but i've tried it several times now and it really does work and the steak is not at all salty tasting.

just to clarify, I have a BIG problem with salt in my diet and i don't add salt to anything I cook because it gives me severe (and i mean screaming in agony severe) cramps in my legs, so i pretty much steer clear of it altogether at all costs, but this method of tenderising steak doesn't cause me any problems at all.

my salt problem will affect me even if i put salt on a portion of chips, but the steak thing doesn't get me at all, so i know for sure that it's not taking any significant amount of salt into the steak or i'd be rolling round on the floor.

it's also a handy way to tenderise cheaper cuts of beef before cooking. :)

dammit, i've been rambling again!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Thanks for rambling. Most interesting treatment of meats I've read here. It's been a while since I went to my friend Justin Flannery on the Gort Loughrea road for a rib roast. Can not be beaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Fresh on Camden Street has half price fillet steak at the moment (about €18/kg), there's a butcher down the back should be able to give you a few decent cuts.

Thanks for rambling. Most interesting treatment of meats I've read here. It's been a while since I went to my friend Justin Flannery on the Gort Loughrea road for a rib roast. Can not be beaten!
    there's a link to it HERE although the original page isn't loading for me right now, so i've linked to the google cache of it.

i replaced their recommendation of 'salt' with 'good rock salt' because i think it should come out better and other recipes i've seen recommend rock or kosher salt instead of regular table salt, but there's probably enough info in the article to get you interested enough to have a look online for yourself. ;)

i'd also recommend the garlic and herbs idea, it definitely carries the flavours right int the meat.

i got a great pink & white rock salt in my local supervalu a few months back that royally did the job on my steaks, but i haven't seen it there since and now i've run out of it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll definitely be trying that trick, vibe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

vibe666 wrote: »
    FX Buckleys at the bottom of Moore St. is good if you're in the centre of town, but I usually get mine outside of Dublin in a wholesale shop at the bck of the industrial park on your way into Dunshaughlin (farmhouse foods i think it's called). it's good meat, they will do a discount if you buy a heap of stuff from them, they are happy to get in whatever you like AND it's on my way home from work. :)

i usually spend about 100 quid or so in there at a time and usually come out with a whole striploin & pork loin to cut myself into thick steaks), a 7kg box of chicken thighs (that they order a couple of days before and de-bone for me for free), a heap of minced beef pre-bagged in 1kg packs, heaps of rashers and sausies & pudding etc. and eggs & cheese and allsorts. they've only a small shop, but there's a whole warehouse behind it.

all that gets portioned up and frozen and usually does me and herself about 6-8 weeks or more. :)

back on topic though, if you're feeding 5 people, you'd probably want to stick with a fillet as some people can be funny about fatty steaks, so unless you're sure they are all fine with some fat and gristle in their steaks, it's best to keep with the safe bet.

also the Chataubriand cut of beef *should* be made with the thickest centre part of a fillet, but that's not always what you'll end up with if you order it in a restaurant, for practical reasons but for the most part, it is normally just a thick piece of fillet.

personally, i've always been a fan of striploin as it has good marbling and it's relatively easy to cook a good steak with it.

a good way to lift the succulence, flavour and texture of any steak, is to cover it (completely, all over) in good rock salt for 10-60 minutes before you cook it and then wash it off and pat it dry before cooking.

any chef will tell you not to salt your steak before frying because it draws out moisture and they right to say it, but this isn't the same thing.

the idea is that initially the salt will draw out some of the moisture from the steak, but that osmosis will draw that moisture and some of the elements of the salt back in and tenderise the steak like nothing else on earth. i know it sounds like crazy talk, but i've tried it several times now and it really does work and the steak is not at all salty tasting.

just to clarify, I have a BIG problem with salt in my diet and i don't add salt to anything I cook because it gives me severe (and i mean screaming in agony severe) cramps in my legs, so i pretty much steer clear of it altogether at all costs, but this method of tenderising steak doesn't cause me any problems at all.

my salt problem will affect me even if i put salt on a portion of chips, but the steak thing doesn't get me at all, so i know for sure that it's not taking any significant amount of salt into the steak or i'd be rolling round on the floor.

it's also a handy way to tenderise cheaper cuts of beef before cooking. :)

dammit, i've been rambling again!
    Can I just say that was an excellent post thanks vibe!

Cleese wrote: »
    Can I just say that was an excellent post thanks vibe!
    no probs, i do wonder sometimes though because I do ramble on a lot once i get started! :D

i was actually inspired to go to my butchers in Dunshaughlin last night and got 6 extra thick pork chops (this thick) that i got him to cut fresh cos the pre-done ones were a little skinny for my liking, 3lb of steak mince, 2lb of sausages, 6 chicken breasts, 24 eggs and something else which i forgot now cos it's early, all for 25 quid, which i thought was a bit of a bargain.

i'd normally get a whole uncut vacuum packed thing and cut it myself (and a whole striploin) but i'm still waiting for payday but didn't have any meat at home, so i kinda had to get something to tide me over.

also, if anyone is going to try the rock salt thing, i'd say to leave it for no more than an hour and definitely try the fresh herbs and garlic thing too, basically add whatever dry ingredients you like on your steak and make sure you properly (i.e. don't be stingy with it) cover the meat on both sides so there is a good coating all over and then when you're ready to cook it, just wash it all off under the cold tap or in a bowl of water and pat it totally dry.

what you're left with should look like a nice bit of well aged steak. :)

also, find something that won't fall apart to dry it off with, don't use kitchen towels unless they are the kind that stay together as i used regular kitchen towel the first time i did it and it all peeled off and stuck to the steak and i had a hard job getting it off. recently i've just dedicated a clean, non-fluffy tea towel to the job and wash it straight afterwards.

as for actually cooking it, i have a hot pan on the hob, add a little olive oil and throw in the steak and a knob of butter, basting with the juices as i go, then turning once to cook the other side (still basting) and finish off in the oven till it's done to my liking (which is rare anyway, so not long :)).

feel free to use the finger test to check how well the steak is cooked, so you can always get it spot on and then you'll be able to sit there shaking your head smugly and tutting the next time you're watching hell's kitchen or masterchef and someone who's supposed to be a proper chef over or undercooks a bit of steak. :D

see, there i go rambling again! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How do you cook your pork chops vibe666?

well, the picture i posted was just off the net as an example, that wasn't one of mine, but we usually just shallow fry them, or cook them on the george foreman with a little seasoning.

i found a nice seasoning in lidl or aldi (looks eastern european in origin) ages ago and we mostly just sprinkle them with that before we cook them as it's really tasty. :)

Advertisement