Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tehnophobe question about my website

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hoping somebody can answer this for me.

Just to start by saying I don't have a clue about designing/creating a website! I did manage however to build a site using the software provided by blacknight when I payed for hosting. Took me weeks to fumble through it but eventually got something that resembled a website.

My question is do I need to do a new sitemap thing for google after adding a new page to the website? I submitted a sitemap when I first built the site and it is indexed. Just wondering if I need to dump the old sitemap and create a new updated one?

Thank you my new computer genius friends... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

You don't need to submit a sitemap to appear in search engines, however now that you have, if you have changed the site structure or added pages, you should really submit a new sitemap.

Here's an article I wrote a long time ago - but just uploaded to my blog today...

http://www.tomdoyletalk.com/2010/08/03/getting-your-website-listed-on-google/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Fantastic info! Thanks a million tomED. Much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Nice read Tom, thanks for sharing. You found a great balance between providing the information and keeping it 'readable' for the target audience (as you have on many of the posts, +1 subscribers).

There's always that hidden 'option 5': do nothing at all, sit hoping your site doesn't get indexed (without the use of robots etc.) and watch as referrals/exit logs have it pop up in a flash :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Thanks Paul - I actually wrote that article for a free business paper that circulates in Dublin - I tried to take my "industry" hat off for that one - so delighted to hear what you thought! :)

Advertisement