Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Old Can A Rocker Be

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Max Power1 wrote: »
    If you are 32 how could you be a "metal fan" and not have heard of Judas priest, and hate maiden?

Right - that last comment seals it for me. Im not going to out and out say you are a troll because to do so is against the charter and I enjoy posting here. Suffice it to say I shall put you on "ignore"

You asked the question about Judas priest and I answered it, of course ive heard of them, no so much that I actually bought one of there albums, same goes for Motorhea and Sabbath, get over yourself will you. and I never said i hated maiden I said they were, in my opinion, 'dated' if you cant read my posts right then you shouldnt read them at all. and if you attempt to label me a troll again ill just ignore you as your very one sided with your taste in music it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

if you attempt to label me a troll again ill just ignore you as your very one sided with your taste in music it seems
    Pot, meet kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

if theres anything worth reading in the troll's post could someone quote it for me?
    edit - NVM, thanks blastman

if theres anything worth reading in the troll's post could someone quote it for me?
    edit - NVM, thanks blastman

ignore mode is on mate, I dont like being called a troll just because I dont like the same bands as you. grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Anyway, steering away from the bickering, I think you can be as long as old as you like performing, as long as you still have a passion for it and can put on a show!!

The technical side plays a part I feel. I mean Pink Floyd could keep playing till their death beds because a lot of their stuff is so mellow.
    It's the likes of Mike Portnoy that will have a shorter performance life span. Dream Theaters music is so intense and technical that eventually they'll be too old to physically play some of their well known songs.

But as was posted earlier, Dio, Ozzy and Maiden are a great example that age doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

fair enough.

This is a rock and metal forum. You have just insulted the worlds greatest rock band (ACDC) and one of the best metal bands (Maiden)

You are either trolling or serious, and Im not sure which is worse!
    I don't like Maiden too, don't think it's the best metal band sorry bout that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

theres nothing more disgusting than an aging rocker/metaller/band who has long since passed producing music their fans actually appreciate. if Metallica werent so good live they should have called it a day ages ago
    oh lord I wouldnt pay a cent to see maiden and id actually pay for ACDC to stay from Ireland
    you're cool, how can I be more like you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I seem to have to do this a lot recently. Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend of people getting narky with each other. Please debate the post rather than attack the poster. Let's not have any more name calling.

For what it's worth, Black Magician, it might be worth having a quick read through your post before submitting it and maybe toning down the language used. Remember, as Max_Power1 pointed out, this is the Rock & Metal forum after all so giving out about Iron Maiden or AC/DC is likely to be as appreciated as going over to the Vegan & Vegetarian forum and asking what their favourite dead pig meat is.

Also, using hyperbole like:
    theres nothing more disgusting than an aging rocker/metaller/band who has long since passed producing music their fans actually appreciate.
    won't help people to take you seriously either. I mean can you really not think of anything more disgusting than Iggy Pop or Mick Jagger? What about special fried rice or blue waffle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Malice_ wrote: »
    I seem to have to do this a lot recently. Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend of people getting narky with each other. Please debate the post rather than attack the poster. Let's not have any more name calling.

For what it's worth, Black Magician, it might be worth having a quick read through your post before submitting it and maybe toning down the language used. Remember, as Max_Power1 pointed out, this is the Rock & Metal forum after all so giving out about Iron Maiden or AC/DC is likely to be as appreciated as going over to the Vegan & Vegetarian forum and asking what their favourite dead pig meat is.

won't help people to take you seriously either. I mean can you really not think of anything more disgusting than Iggy Pop or Mick Jagger? What about special fried rice or blue waffle?

Well if you'll ask people with different than yours test of music to leave this forum you'll have only XXX & XXX forum soon IMO

In general I think music is for all ages and music is not dead body it's process so everyone can decide what's better for him to stay with his favourite band for ages or to be flexible and learn new names. Or else.

P.S. Good night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

won't help people to take you seriously either. I mean can you really not think of anything more disgusting than Iggy Pop or Mick Jagger?

I kinda feel sorry for Iggy Pop, seeing him on those insurance ads..

And a rocker can be as old as they like. In the case of a musician, it's just down to as long as people will listen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Once their heart's still in it, anyone can be a rocker ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Keep on a-rockin' til your ticker stops a-tockin' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Well if you'll ask people with different than yours test of music to leave this forum you'll have only XXX & XXX forum soon IMO

In general I think music is for all ages and music is not dead body it's process so everyone can decide what's better for him to stay with his favourite band for ages or to be flexible and learn new names. Or else.

P.S. Good night
    Exactly. And the XXX & XXX part is Rock & Metal!

I mean who comes into a R&M forum and rips on some of the biggest bands of the genre and expects to be taken seriously?

I wouldnt, for example, go into the soccer forum and state that all the worlds biggest teams are useless.

rgt320q wrote:
    Keep on a-rockin' til your ticker stops a-tockin'

My sentiments exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

"IF YOU THINK YOU ARE TOO OLD TO ROCK 'n ROLL,THEN YOU ARE!" I.Kilmister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm 33, and never really liked Judas Priest, apart from Breaking the Law!

Only like some of the Maiden stuff, but again, wouldn't be too gone on them at all. Most of the AC/DC stuff is bog standard (to me). But their good stuff is classic.

Funnily enough, not a big fan of Back in Black, bar 4 or 5 songs on it.

I've shifted away from just listening to metal (a long time ago), but would still crank Sepultura, Anthrax (old and new) Deftones, Death, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Entombed, Mastodon. I've gone down the road of ISIS, Pelican, and Mogwai as well..

I've mellowed and become a big fan of the Seattle bands even thoguh at the time, I was more into metal than grunge.

Been listening to a bit of Extreme lately. Nuno Bettencourt was always one of my favourite guitarists, and their new live album looks pretty good..

fair enough ill try and tone it down as you say but i dont like been called a troll because I answered a question put to me or because i dont like certain bands like Maiden or Judas priest or ACDC. Being told ima troll and im not going to be taken seriously because I dont like these bands is quite sad really and im surprised your letting max power away with such posts but ill get over it dont worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As much as I value people's comments I don't believe they got the full idea of why this thread was set up. I set it up to find opinion on how old the performer should be, as opposed to the fan, and how old you think it might be acceptable for someone to be performing rock and metal songs onstage.
    "have the Rolling Stones killed"
    C.M. Burns

I mean, straight up, would you still pay to see the Rolling Stones in 10 years?

And for that matter, does anyone remember that Simpsons episode with the poster for the "Steel Wheelchair Tour 2010" - the Rolling Stones tour

If they are still alive, they'll be in their mid to late 70's, so would you go to see a band of rock stars at that age? I personally know people that age and older who don't look it - and have a lot of spring in their step as they say - but would you find it alright to pay the same amount of money you did for their Slane gig or the last time they played Dublin and see these guys perform?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I seen Motorhead play live this year and I must say, Lemmy can still rock his ass off at the age of 64!! I can still see him going for another few years aswell if he doesn't send himself flying off the stage with all the speakers around him when he's playin live!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

No mention of The Coop at this stage.

62 years old and still going strong Alice Cooper would put many a young band to shame with his stageshows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm 43 now and still listen to the music I listened to 20/25 years ago.
    I saw Metallica with Cliff Burton playing bass just a few weeks before he died, saw Motley Crue in Hammersmith Odeon in 84, AC/DC at Monsters of Rock, Accept, Y&T, Cinderella, WASP, Ozzy(w/Jake E Lee), Van Halen (w/Roth) Anthrax....the list goes on.
    Now I'm 20 years older, married with kids and still rockin'!
    Went to both AC/DC gigs last year, Planet Rock is on 6 hrs a day in our house and the kids are being brought up in the ways of 'Rawk'
    So keep the faith..and the answer to the OP is...Neil Young (65)
    Tore the strings off his guitar and the roof off the O2 not too long ago!:)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I agree about Neil young, saw him in Cork last year, nearly blew the roof off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I hope I'm still listening to metal when I'm 60.

I'd be happy also if I metamorphosised into a gnarly ol' blues hound (who still gave Deicide a spin now and then)

fair enough ill try and tone it down as you say but i dont like been called a troll because I answered a question put to me or because i dont like certain bands like Maiden or Judas priest or ACDC. Being told ima troll and im not going to be taken seriously because I dont like these bands is quite sad really and im surprised your letting max power away with such posts but ill get over it dont worry :)
    You weren't called a troll because you don't like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or AC/DC, you were called a troll because your posts read like they were written with the express intention of winding people up. I freely admit that I don't like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest but I'm not about to wind people up by being over the top in my condemnation of them. I recognise that while I may not like them, plenty of others do and giving out about them without backing up my assertions is just going to lead to arguments and this isn't a forum for arguments, it's a forum for discussions.

Lastly, if you feel anyone got away with anything in a particular post, please report it using the report post icon report.gif that is found in the bottom left corner of each post. That applies across Boards.ie, not just here on the Rock & Metal forum.

You weren't called a troll because you don't like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or AC/DC, you were called a troll because your posts read like they were written with the express intention of winding people up. I freely admit that I don't like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest but I'm not about to wind people up by being over the top in my condemnation of them. I recognise that while I may not like them, plenty of others do and giving out about them without backing up my assertions is just going to lead to arguments and this isn't a forum for arguments, it's a forum for discussions.

Lastly, if you feel anyone got away with anything in a particular post, please report it using the report post icon report.gif that is found in the bottom left corner of each post. That applies across Boards.ie, not just here on the Rock & Metal forum.

ok so your calling me a troll too for the having the same sort of opinion as yourself but not expressing it in the right way! ill try and do better and not appear like a troll then so lol

ok so your calling me a troll too for the having the same sort of opinion as yourself but not expressing it in the right way! ill try and do better and not appear like a troll then so lol
    I'm not calling you a troll and we don't quite share the same opinion as I like AC/DC.

I'm not calling you a troll and we don't quite share the same opinion as I like AC/DC.

I never could get into them, that Thunder was about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

Jet Black (Stranglers Drummer) is 71 and he's still playing, can't think of anyone older off the top of my head...maybe some old delta blues types, BB King etc..

CPL 593H

According to here the oldest living musicians as of February 2010 were:

1. Pete Seeger - 90 years 9 months
    2. Ravi Shankar - 89 years 10 months
    3. Bert Weedon - 89 years 9 months
    4. Doc Watson - 86 years 11 months
    5. Ed Cassidy (Spirit) - 86 years 9 months
    6. Tuli Kupferberg (The Fugs) - 86 years 4 months
    7. Earl Scruggs - 86 years 1 month
    8. B.B. King - 84 years 4 months
    9. Chuck Berry - 83 years 3 months
    10. Mose Allison - 82 years 3 months

Another list here gives the 100 oldest rock stars. Number 1 is Pinetop Perkins at a very impressive 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

I hope I'm still listening to metal when I'm 60.

I'd be happy also if I metamorphosised into a gnarly ol' blues hound (who still gave Deicide a spin now and then)

It happened to me aged 16 and I still love both metal & blues almost 20 years later. I thought there was something wrong with me when I started getting seriously in to blues aged 17 and my heroes went from being Metallica/Megadeth etc to Howlin Wolf/John Lee Hooker (nobody ever surpassed a certain Lynott though). Then you find out a few years later a lot of the classic rock bands were hugely influenced by blues.
    According to here the oldest living musicians as of February 2010 were:

2. Ravi Shankar - 89 years 10 months
    3. Bert Weedon - 89 years 9 months
    4. Doc Watson - 86 years 11 months
    5. Ed Cassidy (Spirit) - 86 years 9 months
    6. Tuli Kupferberg (The Fugs) - 86 years 4 months
    7. Earl Scruggs - 86 years 1 month
    8. B.B. King - 84 years 4 months
    9. Chuck Berry - 83 years 3 months
    10. Mose Allison - 82 years 3 months

Another list here gives the 100 oldest rock stars. Number 1 is Pinetop Perkins at a very impressive 97.

B.B. seems to never go away and I hope he doesn't for a good while yet. He still performs, as does Chuck Berry to my knowledge. Ok its not metal/rock as is discussed mostly here but there are no rules...you're never too old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Jesus, he looks good for 90

He's no relation to Bob then I take it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Seeger

Advertisement