Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18mm Engineered Flooring - Do I need underlay?

• 03-08-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have just taken delivery of 14sq. m. of 18mm engineered oak flooring (multiply with 6mm solid layer - 180mm width). After it has acclimatised, I am going to be fixing it to 18mm Plywood over floor joices. It is a bungalow, and I am just wondering, that as I am using a porto-nailer to secret nail the boards in place, will I need to put an underlay underneath. I have loads of 2mm foam underlay that I can use so expense is not a concern. Are there any cons to using it though?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hi there,

I have just taken delivery of 14sq. m. of 18mm engineered oak flooring (multiply with 6mm solid layer - 180mm width). After it has acclimatised, I am going to be fixing it to 18mm Plywood over floor joices. It is a bungalow, and I am just wondering, that as I am using a porto-nailer to secret nail the boards in place, will I need to put an underlay underneath. I have loads of 2mm foam underlay that I can use so expense is not a concern. Are there any cons to using it though?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

you wont need underlay if using a porta nailer.

underlay is used for floating a floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i would however check that the semi solid you are getting is suitable for a porta nailer. It may mark the edge or the ply tongue may split with a nail;)

Advertisement