Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Lights show for Ireland tomorrow?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Two coronal mass ejections are sending a large wave of particles directly at the Earth. Apparently not threatening our power grids yet, but populations above Michigan globally could see some impressive light shows by tomorrow!

Sun storms may bring northern lights farther south

MSNBC report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

what time is this going to be visible at?
    will blanket clouds over Ireland prevent us from seeing this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

From met.ie
    Tonight the rain will spread across the country and become persistent. The lowest temperatures will be between 9 and 12 degrees, coolest in the north. There will be just a light variable breeze and mist and fog developing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    what time is this going to be visible at?
    will blanket clouds over Ireland prevent us from seeing this

Without fail.....every ****ing time :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Calibos wrote: »
    Without fail.....every ****ing time :rolleyes: :mad:

Irritating isn't it? I've never seen the Northern Lights.

• Advertisement

Pardon my french, but B***** it anyway. We always miss out. Ive actually been watching the skys all day today..
    Saw on CNN that the WHOLE world would see. Damn them for getting my hopes up LOL

aw well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Cloud doesn't seem to be as thick as earlier but its not looking good, I'm still going to keep an eye out for breaks though.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

dacogawa wrote: »
    Cloud doesn't seem to be as thick as earlier but its not looking good, I'm still going to keep an eye out for breaks though.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

What time are we talking? Best chances of seeing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I'm moving to Chile or something where there are no bloody clouds, Ireland sucks !:mad:

Irish_polizei I think the best chance will be in around an hour or 2 (11:30/12:30) in dublin, I'm no meteorologist so dont hold me to it but M.T. Cranium says on his weather board that there is heavy rain moving in later so this is the only chance that the cloud might be a bit thinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ghostparticles

yup, ireland... no snakes, no hurricanes, no monsoons, no volcanos, no money, no alligators. A dull old place isn't it ;) and no aurora borealis by the look of it.

not looking good, http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp sky's weather map said we'll have a break in the cloud around 4/5am

All this cloud better be gone by the time theperseids showerstarts getting good next week http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67251760#post67251760

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

I wish I hadn't come to Boards now to learn that if there were no clouds tonight I could see the Northern Lights. I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just got a quick glimpse of the lights during a break in the clouds just now biggrin.gif

Ah well, s**t (rain) happens. We are heading towards solar maximum, which will hopefully give us a chance to see more events like this over the next few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Could this prove dangerous to electronics? I just turned on a CFL lightbulb just a few minutes ago and it blew! It was only 3 years old and had nothing done and was supposed to last for 8!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Could this prove dangerous to electronics? I just turned on a CFL lightbulb just a few minutes ago and it blew! It was only 3 years old and had nothing done and was supposed to last for 8!

According to the solar weather website, it's a C3 class flare, which "are small with few noticeable consequences on earth"

http://spaceweather.com/glossary/flareclasses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Has anyone else seen it? No chance I guess with the clouds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Well this skywatcher didn't get to see anything but dark rainy *frack you* clouds.

As djhaxman says though we're heading towards a solar maximum so expect to see plenty more of these over the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Clouded out here last night also(Cork) but more stuff on the way tonight.
    Here's a good link to keep an eye on the space weather.
    http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/pro_3d.html

It looks like it should be less cloudy tonight so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Worth keeping an eye on the Weather boffins forum. Those guys know there ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Does this whole thing remind anyone of that film 'Knowing'?
    though it was neutrios in that film I cant help but think of it..... :D

Sad that's there's more discussion about it in the weather forum than in here tbh. This forum is hardly ever visited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

djhaxman wrote: »
    Sad that's there's more discussion about it in the weather forum than in here tbh. This forum is hardly ever visited.
    We need some new recruits:)

Beeker wrote: »
    We need some new recruits:)

Just as long as yourself, ynotdu and Lord Lucan don't leave if the shuttles stop flying, we'll be ok!

Oops maybe I shouldn't have reminded the 3 of you of that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

djhaxman wrote: »
    Just as long as yourself, ynotdu and Lord Lucan don't leave if the shuttles stop flying, we'll be ok!

Oops maybe I shouldn't have reminded the 3 of you of that ;)

:(:(:(:( ****Slits wrists**** :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Forecast for tonight is better than last night(for Dublin anyway),all i got last night was rain,rain and more feckin' rain!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

So where is the best place to view this, a short drive from Dublin? I'm guessing into the wicklow mountains so the light of Dublin is blocked somewhat by them? Or would the phoneix park be enough

M.T.Cranium has given some good news for tonight

"M.T. quote: Anyone hoping to catch a view of the possible aurora borealis display tonight might also be in luck, if you're patient, as there could be some clear breaks -- usually these displays peak around midnight to 0200h local time as the auroral display moves around the magnetic field opposite to the sun (although in major displays you can get a better view earlier than midnight). I had a look here last night but was unable to find any clear skies due to high overcast and smoke layers from forest fires. Hoping to have better luck tonight. The moon won't be a problem as it rises well after midnight.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67251953

Also looking good for the meteor shower next week, this guy is usually right on the button (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The weather above me is about 40% clear (twas 80% earlier), hopefully it'll break up as the temps fall back.

Advertisement