Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip off louth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

A Mate went into a local Dundalk chipper over the weekend,realised when he was paying that all the cash he had on him was Sterling,"i can only give you 5c on pound" says the girl serving,reluctantly he pays.The only reason he paid was because his children were starving in the car outside:).I sincerely hope that this Sterling rip-off dosnt become the norm down here(again)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

..."i can only give you 5c on pound" ...

Does that mean that they were changing it for a rate of €1.05 per Stg£?
    Pretty crappy rate, but if you turn up in any outlet anywhere and try to pay in a different currency from the one in the country you're in, you're gonna have to expect to get a crappy rate. I see no reason why it should be any different in the ROI just because the customer might be from NI than it should be for, say, a Canadian in upstate New York or a Norwegian in Sweden. On today's exchange rate (as quoted by RTE.ie) it equates to about a 14% fee/commission for the chipper, but you can be sure that at least half of that will be taken by the bank in their fees/commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Yes it was €1.05 to each STG £1.
    Dundalk retailers have been hit hard by the lack of Northern punters coming to their shops/buissnesses and the drain of Southern shoppers to the North so surely if they want to attract buisness from there they should offer a decent exchange rate.
    And in several retail buissnesses that i have worked in down the years,the owners never lodged sterling to the bank but instead held on to it and either used it up north/GB themselves or exchanged it for other foreign exchange(Dollars etc)

Sorry for the bad punctuation,im of out in a hurry;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Got a leaflet in the door this morning from Briscoes of Drogheda.
    I noted in it, it was advertising USB power adapters for €25 quid in their "sale" !!!
    "Wow" I said to myself.
    I had only just bought one (This one) for the "Kindle 3" up in Power City last week for €6.49! (With no sale on) Seriously.
    Talk about taking the pee and ripping people off!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 workstoomuch

put it this way, was just in Newry in a fab place for a treat (on wednesday i know) - fillet steak with all trimmings ten pounds - why would i bother with town when retailers cant be bothered to give this value????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

put it this way, was just in Newry in a fab place for a treat (on wednesday i know) - fillet steak with all trimmings ten pounds - why would i bother with town when retailers cant be bothered to give this value????

Produce is cheaper over the border.
    Wages are cheaper.
    Rents are cheaper.

Try "worktoomuch" over the border and you'll soon understand..

Can't believe people are so naive..

It's no different to asking why a fillet steak is cheaper in Spain than it is in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Ok, so what about Dunnes Newry V Dunnes Dundalk?

Same warehouse, same products. So why the big difference?

People aren't naive. They are realistic.

The uk min wage is equivalent to €7.03. €1.62 less than here in the south. Doesn't account for the vast price difference.

The rents? Well here's two units on the rental market at the moment...

retail unit in newry = £16,000 for 900 sq ft

retail unit in dundalk = €16,120 for for 2476 sq ft

The traders in the south are well able to get the same deals as the ones in Newry. I mean, the town is less than 10 mins up the road.

Its greed, they've gotten too used to ripping us off and most of them aren't about to change.

Blaming it on rent, wages, wholesale prices is ridiculous and... NAIVE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Can't believe people are so naive..
    People are not naive, they have copped on. Even when you factor in the differences in rates, wages etc... there is still a good margin to drop prices here in most retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

bigneacy wrote: »
    Ok, so what about Dunnes Newry V Dunnes Dundalk?

Same warehouse, same products. So why the big difference?

People aren't naive. They are realistic.

The uk min wage is equivalent to €7.03. €1.62 less than here in the south. Doesn't account for the vast price difference.

The rents? Well here's two units on the rental market at the moment...

retail unit in newry = £16,000 for 900 sq ft

retail unit in dundalk = €16,120 for for 2476 sq ft

The traders in the south are well able to get the same deals as the ones in Newry. I mean, the town is less than 10 mins up the road.

Its greed, they've gotten too used to ripping us off and most of them aren't about to change.

Blaming it on rent, wages, wholesale prices is ridiculous and... NAIVE

The average wage in the South is far higher than that in the North. Not everybody earn's minimum wage. Producers costs ARE higher, transport costs ARE higher, wholesalers costs ARE higher, the retailers costs ARE higher. VAT is also a factor. I'm not disputing that some price differences can be questioned, but expecting prices to be the same on either side of the border is just stupid. Everybody from Social Welfare recipients to Managing Directors are better off on this side of the border. That makes the south a more expensive place to do business.

Your property comparison's are meaningless. Newry has been the most prosperous town on the island for the last few years.

Dundalk is a struggling border town with many vacant units. Location is also a factor.

I also think I'm correct in saying Newry is more expensive than other parts of the north.

Most big retailers are tied into huge property leases in the South. They are not corner shops. While it's not the consumer's problem, it is a major issue for a lot of businesses at the moment.

Harvey Norman's operation in Ireland has lost €55 million and counting..

Advertisement