Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband Issues

• 03-08-2010 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi people
    I have had magnet broadband in my apt a few weeks now.access over the internet is fine but if i go to install or upload anything eg avg it says that i have no internet access..I have used spyware removal and a few othwer things to try find any viruses which could be preventing installs but have so far found nothing..It has also started to affect skype same thing im on the internet and when i try to sign into skype it says i have no internet access..very frustrating!!any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

router is belkin 54g and its a wired connection

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi people
    I have had magnet broadband in my apt a few weeks now.access over the internet is fine but if i go to install or upload anything eg avg it says that i have no internet access..I have used spyware removal and a few othwer things to try find any viruses which could be preventing installs but have so far found nothing..It has also started to affect skype same thing im on the internet and when i try to sign into skype it says i have no internet access..very frustrating!!any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

router is belkin 54g and its a wired connection

You'll need provide some basic info first at least. Can you ping boards.ie? What are the results? Can you browse the AVG site? are you using a firewall? Have you tried turning it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Anthony1010

Im not at home at the moment so will try ping later...I can browse the avg site i even downloaded the executable but when i tried to install avg it could not detect an internet connection and was asking for the proxy address I put it in and still nothing..I have tried turning the firewall off too still no joy...thanks for the quick reply

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Im not at home at the moment so will try ping later...I can browse the avg site i even downloaded the executable but when i tried to install avg it could not detect an internet connection and was asking for the proxy address I put it in and still nothing..I have tried turning the firewall off too still no joy...thanks for the quick reply

Sounds like a firewall blocking the AVG executable at a first guess. Which firewall is it?

Its windows firewall the os is windows 7 ill try knocking it off again see how It goes..annoying as hell especially when im on the internet and its telling me i dont have a connection!!!
    The apartment im in came with magnet part of a deal with the developers
    so when i got it broadband basically they just put you on their network and your good to go but this problem has been their since the start..Do you think it could be a problem with the proxy address??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My guess would be it's something to do with the way the developer has set up the network. Windows firewall on Windows 7 will not cause problems with AVG. Contact support.

• Advertisement

Yeah ill give them a buzz thanks for the help will contact them soon and let ye know how i got on...cheers jor el and spear..

Hi I tried a different pc up in the apt and it worked fine updated no problem so done a re-install of win 7 and everything worked no problem obviously a virus or something was blocking me..No antivirus or spyware detected it though...strange?? Anyway its all good now thank you for the help

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi I tried a different pc up in the apt and it worked fine updated no problem so done a re-install of win 7 and everything worked no problem obviously a virus or something was blocking me..No antivirus or spyware detected it though...strange?? Anyway its all good now thank you for the help

Can I help here? I see everything has been cleared up but is there anything else outstanding?

Hi rory thanks for the reply no your fine everything is working fine initially i thought i was been blocked by magnet but once i tried a different pc and seen there was no problems so the only problem was with the computer not the internet connection

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi rory thanks for the reply no your fine everything is working fine initially i thought i was been blocked by magnet but once i tried a different pc and seen there was no problems so the only problem was with the computer not the internet connection

No probs....if theres anything I can do you know where I am.

• Advertisement
Advertisement