Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Tunnel Toll 'recognises' cars as vans

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

The new Limerick tunnel has been charging van rates for certain cars based on a faulty profile recognition software. To make matters worse it even charges tags that are registered for cars the full Van rate and the tag providers do not check this but apply the higher van rate.

If you have been through this facility in the past week then check and query all your bills with your tag provider before they hit you for a direct debit you were not expecting. Also ensure that their system will not allow you to be charged van rates in future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The M6 toll does that too. My sister has a 306cc and her tag gets charged a van rate every time she uses it. She has to contact them about it and get it corrected each time.

If you're using a tag on any toll, you should keep an eye on the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is a way around all this confusion.

Just avoid using these routes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

well i would even pay the higher rate if the tag actually worked and the barrier lifted, went through earlier on €1.80 came up tag beeped nothing happens - operator says 'ya we have a problem with the tags all right' with hand out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

This is frequently happening me and others I know on the Waterford N25 bypass as well.

I cancelled my account with Easytrip as they refused to be of assistance in claiming back the overcharged amounts. Instead they blatantly lied to me about it and tried to claim that because my car weighs over 2 tonnes that it's considered commercial. Absolute rubbish. I'd spoken to the manager of the actual toll office before speaking to Easytrip and while he was apologetic, was insistent that any claims for refunds had to come from the toll tag provider.

So I've had a tag from tolltag.ie for the last few weeks and have already been overcharged again a few times. The difference this time was that when I called up tolltag they said that they'd put the refund request through no problem. I've yet to receive the refund but lets hope!

But this still doesn't solve the core problem - why is it happening and how do we stop it? The N25 manager told me that sometimes a vehicle is flagged for a manual classification for some reason, and thus a human looks at a picture and decides the type of vehicle. So does somebody need re-educating about the classification of cars or is it a computer making a mistake?

My car is a Land Rover Discovery, 7 seats, private tax, used for private motoring and has been a 'car' on Easytrip and tolltag's database.

I wonder how many people is this happening to who haven't noticed? I've got 2 friends to check their Easytrip statements in detail too, and between them they've been overcharged by 60 euro for just the N25, yet Easytrip refuse to refund them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For a while when the barrier-free tolling was first introduced on the M50 I kept getting charged €3.20 (the rate for light good vehicles under 2 tonnes) instead of €2.50 on my video registered account for a Ford Focus C-Max, a bog-standard mini-MPV. Got given the same reason, i.e. that whenever a vehicle gets flagged as unreadable, it gets classified 'by hand', and they made a mistake, which didn't quite make sense, seeing as they already had my registration number on file as being a standard car. I got refunded (eventually) and it hasn't happened since, so maybe they've either changed their systems or trained their staff better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bkehoe wrote: »
    I wonder how many people is this happening to who haven't noticed? I've got 2 friends to check their Easytrip statements in detail too, and between them they've been overcharged by 60 euro for just the N25, yet Easytrip refuse to refund them too.

Noel Dempsey is in charge of this farce and Noel did not get where he did today by caring about other peoples money...ie the taxpayer.

I would have reported Easytrip to the Guards for fraud and let the guards bring charges. This is a multiple breach of the Fraud and Theft act, see sections 58 and then Part 2 of the same act.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

jor el wrote: »
    The M6 toll does that too. My sister has a 306cc and her tag gets charged a van rate every time she uses it. She has to contact them about it and get it corrected each time.

Has happened a few times to me too on the M6. Took an age to get a refund out of easytrip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

We have the same problem with one of our vehicles; keeps getting charged as an over 10 tonne HGV going thru the Ballinasloe and Kilbeggan toll; yet charged at it's proper rate at other tolls. Really annoying as it isn't anywhere NEAR a HGV, never mind a 10 tonne one:rolleyes: Eflow weren't a lot of help initially; claimed the weight card to begin with to which I called bull****. They then said I'd have to ring everytime I went thru the toll so they could rectify it and that was the only solution. Then I got a phonecall out of the blue to say that they had recognised the error, and would automatically refund me the difference every month, which they now do. They were very apologetic. It has something to do with the Vehicle recognition not being centralised I think; each location had their own database and obviously it's arseways. Why it can't all just be linked to Shannon I do not know; I get substantial refunds from Eflow every month now, so that's something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

have an old nissan serena mpv and was always afraid would be charged as a van or commercial so I always went to the guys in the booth and they charged me as a car.

however going through the N7 & N8 toll bridge the other week (the mountrath bypass) and the booths were choc-a-bloc so the wife said just go through the exact coin lane and it charged me as a motorbike ha 90c

but alas this was just a glich but still only charged as a car in the "exact coin" lane few days ago

Advertisement