Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of a wind problem...

• 03-08-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I have a bit of a problem cycling in the wind. I'm quite light & so is my bike and if I get any gust of wind (mainly from the side) I get quite wobbly on the bike. I also find cycling into the wind quite tough. Any tips?

Just another quick one while I'm here; flies seem very attracted to my eyeballs lately; d'ya think these will do the trick? If so, what colour should I go for? Would the blue be too dark in low light/ cloudy conditions?

Thanks!
    Paula
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

A few of these should resolve the problem.

I'd go for light yellow or clear lenses for general Irish conditions (i.e. cloudy). At that price you could get a couple of pairs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What sort of bike are you riding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Lumen wrote: »
    What sort of bike are you riding?

Giant Dash 2. I know it's not the lightest bike you can get - about 10kg (inc lock), but it's super light for me and less than half the weight of my old bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

captain P wrote: »
    Giant Dash 2. I know it's not the lightest bike you can get - about 10kg (inc lock), but it's super light for me and less than half the weight of my old bike!

There's nothing wrong with that bike, but fighting wind is to be expected on a hybrid for several reasons, compared to a drop bar road bike. You're positioned fairly upright, which catches wind from the front, and your weight is rearward which leaves your front wheel relatively unweighted and therefore steering will be more affected by sidewind.

You could improve things by getting lower and more forward, but you may as well just enjoy the bike you have. If you are bothered that much get a bike that is designed more for speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cant help you with the weight thing but these glasses are 16.19 from probikekit and have 5 lenses (i wear contacts and dont go out without them)

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=G5083

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=G1004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Lumen wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with that bike, but fighting wind is to be expected on a hybrid for several reasons, compared to a drop bar road bike. You're positioned fairly upright, which catches wind from the front, and your weight is rearward which leaves your front wheel relatively unweighted and therefore steering will be more affected by sidewind.

You could improve things by getting lower and more forward, but you may as well just enjoy the bike you have. If you are bothered that much get a bike that is designed more for speed.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE this bike :D
    Thanks for the advice, just getting a bit concerned coming into the bad weather.. I generally will be cycling Fairview-Howth route and I don't wanna end up in the sea :p.
    I reckon I could get a bit lower by gripping the bar ends and bending my elbows a good bit, it would still be comfortable enough.

@ednwireland... they look just what I need & right in my price range.. Thanks!

Advertisement