Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site review - I didnt know there was a section like this, good to know

• 03-08-2010 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on my site, coming from a pretty new self thought designer, be gentle.

www.so-hoit.com

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I do like design, particularly the simple layout & colours.

I don't like the domain name (hyphen in bad place == :(). I would use a better .ie

No address anywhere on site, or names. Who are you?

Homepage doesn't tell me where the company is based - I guess Ireland, from the mobile numbers, but I don't like the mobile numbers either :)

The special offer (/images/special-offer.jpg) throws off the balance of the columns, I'd move it elsewhere.

Finally, I'd only use one mobile number, not 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ludzer

Trojan wrote: »
    I do like design, particularly the simple layout & colours.

I don't like the domain name (hyphen in bad place == :(). I would use a better .ie

No address anywhere on site, or names. Who are you?

Homepage doesn't tell me where the company is based - I guess Ireland, from the mobile numbers, but I don't like the mobile numbers either :)

The special offer (/images/special-offer.jpg) throws off the balance of the columns, I'd move it elsewhere.

Finally, I'd only use one mobile number, not 2.

Thanks for the feedback Trojan.

I agree the "-" in the address isnt great, we struggled with the name for a long time, we could get the .ie alright if we registered a company but this is something two techies are doing on the side to make some cash.

The mobile numbers, I know not professional at all, (working on that)

Address, easily fixed, looking to put in a map etc.

Special offer is up anyway so need to get that down asap also.

appreaciate your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 webaddict

I like the design as well, very well done. I personally cant see the mobile phone problem since there are so many businesses in Ireland running on mobile phone only, however, any information on where you are based/where you are operating would be helpful (would you go down to limerick to install AntiVir? Guess not...) Guess its all at an early stage anyway, but the design is kind of appealing...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paul.mcguinness

Everything seems to work except the red colour, doesnt seem to contrast correctly. Maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The slideshow panel should be reserved for highlighting and describing your services. This panel is the most eye catching, and stock photos that don't communicate anything are wasting that space.

Sorry but the name is atrocious. I didn't even get the "IT" part of it until I visited the site itself. A name should work for your business rather than hinder it and a name that is confusing and hard to remember is doing you more harm than good.

I would reduce the 3 columns in the lower section to just two, and have the most important elements of the business being represented there. You can then have a smaller 3rd column (ie with smaller icons) on the edge to mention secondary information such as "Authorised AVG reseller" etc

I'd echo what was already said about having two mobile numbers. If I'm a customer, which one should I ring? What's the difference between the two? What if I ring the wrong one?

Again with the phone numbers, they should be highlighted more on the page so they're visible with a quick glance.

The Testimonials page looks very fake. The speech bubble is a good idea but the photo of the model makes me think you just made it up yourself.

Overall I think the design and presentation is good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ludzer

Thanks for all the feedback, I take it all on board, and on the back of that intend to sort out a few of the noted issues, namely, the name, I agree the "-" isnt great, phone numbers in the process of getting the land line sorted (nearly there), the address of the company, and I kinda agree with Cianos about the slideshow, although I like it, I did have text on a previous version but didnt go with it at the time.

Again, all criticism taken happily as it was my first fully designed site.

Advertisement