Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starcraft Music: Fireflish?

• 03-08-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I'm a fan of Starcraft and Firefly (The Joss Whedon show from a few years back that was canceled after 12 episodes for those not in the know!).

Anyway has anyone paid much attention to the background music in Starcraft, i.e. the interim cinematics and especially
    the fight between Tychus and Raynor in the cantina on the Hyperion
    ? Because to me it sounds really really similar to the background music of firefly. Really similar. I'm thinking there might be some fans on Blizzard's staff.

There's definitely star Trek fans (The medics say 'Please state the nature of the medical emergency').

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya,I noticed it, mentioned it on an other thread.Not sure if it's the same music,could just be ears playing tricks but it sounds a lot like it.First few missions until you get to the Hyperion really reminded me of Firefly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

There are a lot of similarities between firefly and the terran. They're both based on the stereotypical, Wild Wild Space theme. that and the rag tag group of soldiers fightin the good fight against the tyranical regime. How Starcraft differs is the introduction of the zerg/protoss/xel'naga. Still, the atmosphere in the game is great, 10/10 tbh, great fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Well, both had the whole idea of the frontier of space being like the frontier of the West. It's not a new idea - Cowboy Bebop did it too, and many other things before that. The music just reflects that - it's a mix of sci-fi and western-style music.

To be honest, I was more surprised when I saw a planet called Haven appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Aye. There are definite moments when all I can think of is the Firefly opening credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

sci-fi western isn't unique to Firefly, but Firefly was a popular show, and the terrans did already have a similar aesthetic, so I'm not surprised to see some similarities. Whether or not they're unintentional, you bet your ass that Blizzard definitely have fans on their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I stand corrected - just reached that point in the game and there's done almost-direct quotation of some of the music from the Firefly pilot in there. (And yes, it is slightly embarrassing to know that.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This track would fit right in to SC2 i feel, i could play MP games to this all day especially the main riff of the track :)

Advertisement