Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long-haul flight with baby - advice?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

We are travelling to the US with our 11 month old next week (his first time on a plane). I've searched around this forum a bit and found some snippets of info, but would like to get advice from anyone who's experince in this (I think we are flying with Aer Lingus and United Airlines).

Can we bring the buggie onto the plane or leave it to baggage at the door of the plane?
    Can we bring a bottle of cool-boiled water and juice through security onto the plane?
    What's best for keeping his ears popped?
    How should we deal with his jet lag?

Millions of more questions I could ask, so would like to hear people's experiences/advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Ask for a Bassinet seat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For his ears, breast-feeding or a soother seem to work best as it keeps the jaws working and lowers the pressure.

You should be able to bring one or more containers of liquid under 100ml through as long as you declare them.

I honestly don't know if an 11-month old is aware enough of time to experience jet-lag, but I think in general it's more of an issue flying from the States.

Any time I've brought a buggy, they've taken it at the stairs of the plane and returned it in the same place when disembarking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You leave the buggy at the gate. On arrival, it may be at the gate, or you may have to get it at tne carousel.

Dublin airport will let you bring sterilised water. I doubt the US will on return.

For ears on departure and landing. Give baby the bottle.

As for jet lag. No way around it. You'll just have to live with it.

Get a bulkhead seat. Bring a portable dvd player with baby einsteins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'd not go with the basinette, he'll be too big for it at 11 months.

My three main tips, having done this several times with twins from 4 months on, are:
    - get a baby carrier, such as a ring sling or mei-tai or ergo. If you bring a buggy, check it in when you check all your lugage and use the baby carrier around the airport. You won't have any trouble at security with x-rays, will be able to use stairs, and will be able to run for a connecting flight if necessary. Babycarrier can also be used on board to walk with the baby if he's fussy.
    - If you can afford it, get him a seat, it could save your sanity and is safer. If you cannot afford it, assuming there are three seats in a row in the plane, book the window and aisle seat for the two adults travelling. That way, there isless chance they'll seat someone in the middle and you may get that seat "for free" for the baby. Even if the flight is full,the middle seat passenger will be happy to swap with window or aisle.
    - Bring toys and food from home, stuff he is used to, for both the flight and after, especially if he takes formula, as they won't have the same stuff in the USA. Bring a pic-nic blanket or foldable playmat for him to have some lay-down time in the airport while you are waiting.

- Buggie has to be checked in either at check-in or at the gate (your choice).
    - Depends on the day and threat level. Generally yes, but you may be asked to drink some (formula tastes horrible!).
    - Best for keeping ears popped is chewing. So a soothie if he takes one, breastfeeding if you still do, or a bottle rather than a cup, at least for take-off and landing.
    - I would try to put him on the new shcedule as best as you can; he will likely be awake for a lot of the travel due to excitement anyways, and then be tired when you get to your destination in the evening local time, and ready to sleep. Way back is more difficult, if you can, re-adjust his schedule over 3-4 days.

silja wrote: »
    I'd not go with the basinette, he'll be too big for it at 11 months.

thats a sweeping statement. You don't know the size of the child?
    Also OP, ask for a bassinet seat, cos even if you never use it, you'll have more room in general in that area and no one can recline their seat in front of you etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

MidlandsM wrote: »
    thats a sweeping statement. You don't know the size of the child?
    Also OP, ask for a bassinet seat, cos even if you never use it, you'll have more room in general in that area and no one can recline their seat in front of you etc etc.

This fella is BIG for his age!! What is a bassinet seat?

its like a miniture cot that comes out from the plane bulk head and then your child can sleep in front of you.
    You also get some extra space, no one in front of you to worry about reclining, or for you to worry about annoying them with noise etc.
    Worth asking for!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    thats a sweeping statement. You don't know the size of the child?.

When I worked for an airline (admittedly several years ago) the basinettes were only for 8 months and below, and most customers said babies over 6 months were too big.

Bulkhead seats (if not also an emergency exit) are a possibility, they often-but not always- have more legroom, and there is the advantage of no-one in front of you wanting to recline or complaining if your child kicks their seat. Disadvantages are you usually can't see the TV screens well, they are by the toilets and thus there is more noise which may stop baby napping, and some have effectively less legroom for the adults as you cannot stretch your legs under the seat in front. It's really a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

For an eleven month old I would get bottled water in the departure lounge and bring that on board for use in baby bottles. Bring empty sterilised bottles and powder on board. If you use dr brown bottles they will leak with the changes in pressure so another good reason to bring em on sterile and empty.

I would seriously consider booking a seat for baby and bringing your forward facing far seat on board with you (especially if they like sleeping in it).

Alternatively ask for the bulkhead seats - I was able to put my 6 month old to sleep on the floor in front of me (belted to my leg in case of an air pocket).

You can bring a lot of formula on board - just remember if you use cartons it may not be easy to get hold of a scissors or knife!

Airlines have told me it is illegal for them to sell a seat for an under two.

Get the bulkhead.it avoids a disaster at mealtime with baby knocking trays all over the place.

Children cannot be placed by emergency exits.

• Advertisement

Can I ask which airline? We've always bought at least one seat for the twins to share, once they could sit up. There are even specific infant belts they give you to fit onto the normal adult belt to make it suitable.

Both ryanair and aerlingus. Maybe an exception was made for you because of twins. Its a stupid rule tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

We got a seat for DS2 when he was 20 months, not illegal at all.

To the OP, don't worry too much about it all, things will work out if you stay calm, we have just flown to Ireland and back from Canada with two little guys and while it is not fun, it is not as stressful as it seems.

Don't stress out of your baby cries - I have seen mothers and fathers getting increasingly stressed out because their baby is crying, but, it does not help. Our littlest boy cried on the way home to Ireland, he cried a lot, but, what can you do except deal with it and not let them pick up up on your feelings.

We always take the buggy to the steps of the plane, or the door if you are going from most airports (except Dublin) just make sure to get a gate tag so that it is waiting at the same place when you get off, Air Canada in Dublin messed this up for us last week and we had to wait and get our buggy with our luggage in Toronto, it is much easier when it is waiting for you and you can throw your other bags etc in under it.
    Enjoy the trip.

MrsA wrote: »
    We got a seat for DS2 when he was 20 months, not illegal at all.

To the OP, don't worry too much about it all, things will work out if you stay calm, we have just flown to Ireland and back from Canada with two little guys and while it is not fun, it is not as stressful as it seems.

Don't stress out of your baby cries - I have seen mothers and fathers getting increasingly stressed out because their baby is crying, but, it does not help. Our littlest boy cried on the way home to Ireland, he cried a lot, but, what can you do except deal with it and not let them pick up up on your feelings.

We always take the buggy to the steps of the plane, or the door if you are going from most airports (except Dublin) just make sure to get a gate tag so that it is waiting at the same place when you get off, Air Canada in Dublin messed this up for us last week and we had to wait and get our buggy with our luggage in Toronto, it is much easier when it is waiting for you and you can throw your other bags etc in under it.
    Enjoy the trip.

This has happenned to me a few times and it is a real pain.

My little one has a habit if conking out during landing. Even on a transatlantic back into ireland at 5am, local time, midnight est or because we are up super early having to get to dublin, so lots of activity before hand.

So he's asleep and I'm carrying him, carryon luggage, coats, struggling out of the plane, and low and behold no buggy, and i muck my way through the long corridors of the airport,which of course takes tnree times as long carrying a toddler and all this stuff, through immigration, he's still conked out, dying for a piss,sweating, and then to the carousel where you have to stand there carrying all this stuff, and then with the toddler over your shoulder get the buggy off the damn thing.

This has happenned to me in three airports, everytime with aerlingus, who I usually have nothing but praise for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

No comments on the buggy, but I've been a fellow passenger for babies that age in a number of recent flights. Get the bassinet seat. You've got more legroom, and although it's near the toilets or galley, it means there's leg space for you...and if needed, some parents lie on the floor, while their child lies across 2 seats to sleep. Also there's a bit more space for crawling/walking, without blocking the aisle. They won't let you sit at emergency exits with a child.

One thing I also noticed recently - a few parents with small children had booked seats/extra seats...and the child screamed blue murder when they actually had to sit in them. They were great during the flight, but if the seatbelt sign went on and they had to sit in the seat, the roaring started. To be fair, most other passengers just accept it, particularly during take off and landing - how can you explain to a baby why it's ears are popping?! - but there was one in particular who was screaming from sheer temper when he was put in the seat, for most of the flight (he was a good bit older mind you). The crying stopped the instant his seat belt was open and he was standing on the seat or his unfortunate mother.

Most airlines will help you as much as possible with small children, especially during long haul flights.You should be able to take the buggy to the gate, if not the door of the plane with you, make sure you ask if nobody mentions it.

Sucking a bottle or something usually relieves the ear pressure during take off and landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Most airlines will not give you the Basinette seat if the child is over a certain age, for Air Canada that is 7 months or when the child can sit unaided. A child that can sit unaided is not "supposed" to use the basinette.

There is also a weight limit on them.

Requesting one is fine, but, if there is someone more qualified to get it, ie with a younger baby, they will normally get it.

Don't get fixated on getting it, and don't worry if you don't, it is only a few hours out of your life, not a big deal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 doodlenoodle

I moved country with my twins when they were 6 weeks old, and I have to say that the smaller the kids, the easier to fly. Once they get mobile it slowly turns into a real chore, but if the timing of the trip is around bedtime it is a bliss.

Be charming when checking in and ask if possible to get an empty seat or at least be seated with plenty of leg room. If possible book your seat beforehand.

Bring plenty of small healthy treats, cut up fruit, crackers, cheese, etc. You can get all this through security without any problem, they might ask you to taste it though.

Don't overload with toys, small things are the best and keep taking them out one at the time. Variety during a flight is the key issue with babies.

Have something that can be used as a pillow (or bring a small pillow), which not only will let you rest your arm if you're carrying your baby, but will let him sleep against something hard if he is lucky enough to get a seat.

The main problem will be to keep him in one place during the flight. Try to tire him out as much as possible beforehand, get to the airport early and run around with him. Walk up and down the airplane aisle with him, it's kind of torture after a while though.

Landing is worse than take off. Not usually because of the air pressure, but because the seatbelt signs goes on so early and your child needs to sit in one place for ages. That is really the main reason kids start screaming. Be prepared with a bottle or something to chew on for landing, the air pressure is harder on the ears. If your child has sensitive ears, another tip is to ask for nose drops in the pharmacy, and use them before landing as they can help.

Advertisement