Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent advice - shady dealings

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All

Here is a siutation and i want to know if i'm in the right or the wrong.

My girlfriend and I moved into a house at the end of june for a short term period. It was kind of student accommodation. The house was very dirty so we scrubbed it up completely.

When we met with the landlord things seemed a bit shady. We agreed on 900 euro a month with a security deposit of 500. She informed us she was going through a divorce and that her husband might come around with someone for a valuation on the house. She told us to tell them we were paying 700 euro in rent. He never came around so it wasn't an issue.

We were considering staying there 2 maybe 3 months. She only wanted us to sign a month lease. Which in the end has suited us.

Things happen in life and with financial issues and work commitments we've decided to move out. The rent was due on the friday, i tried calling the landlord but no answer. She rang me back on the Monday(i happened to be down the country working) and said i'd be back thursday. I told her of the situation. She knew that i was thinking of moving out. I've since moved out and she knows this.

Now i'm meeting her tonight to sort things out. She has given me the impression that i should be paying her a months rent when me meet up. I am looking for some or all of my security deposit back. THe lease was for a month. I'd be happy to pay a extra weeks rent i guess but it all just seems a bit underhanded.

What should i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Prepare yourself for some mickey mouse reason as to why you wont get your deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tiergat

I should get it back in theory though right?? just that shes going to try and keep it cos shes a £$%£$"!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Did you sign a lease for a month? What did the lease say about notice of termination?

If you followed the lease regarding notice then she's not entitled to retain your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tiergat

Cathooo wrote: »
    Did you sign a lease for a month? What did the lease say about notice of termination?

If you followed the lease regarding notice then she's not entitled to retain your deposit.

Okay this is the shady part. The lease was pretty much written out on a piece of A4 paper. It was more of a receipt.

It basically says On 23 june My girlfriend and i gave 900 euro rent and 500 security deposit for a 1 month lease. Then she signed and dated it.

It did all seem dodgy but were new to this rent thing and just went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You should be paying rent for the days extra to the month that you have stayed or until your landlord was notified that you were vacating the property, whichever is later. Your rent is basically €30 per day. Count up the days after 22nd July that you have stayed and offer that to her. See what she says. Obviously you'll owe for electricity, heating etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement