Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team most likely to exceed expectations this season?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Bolton
    blackburn, their defence was unreal towards the end of last season and I think sam has finally put his know how into the team all they need is a goalscorer which I think they might look for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Wolves
    mink_man wrote: »
    blackburn, their defence was unreal towards the end of last season and I think sam has finally put his know how into the team all they need is a goalscorer which I think they might look for.
    If their pre-season has been anything to go by, they'll be mid-table at best again. Very average squad of players with the exception of the injury prone Dunn, the promising N'Zonzi and Gamst who is very hit and miss.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fabregas and van Persie had 43 league appearances between them last season, while Gerrard and Torres had 55, so the logic of Arsenal being at risk of falling below Liverpool due to over-reliance on two individuals seems rather questionable to me.

Besides, we've got Chamakh and Jacky boy now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Wigan will surprise people this season.With many people tipping them for relegation I don't think they will be anywhere near the drop zone.

I think they have done really well in the transfer market so far although Melchiot,Bramble and Sharner have left in comes Alcaraz who had a very good World Cup with Paraguay and is a very good defender, Ronnie Stam who has just been called up to the Holland squad and was part of Twente's league winning side last year and Boselli who bolsters the attack and has been impressing in pre season and apparentely United were after him a few months ago. James McArtur looks a good talent as well.

Add to that the players that are already there N'Zogbia(if he stays), McCarthy,Moses,Rodallega,Figeuroa,Diame,Watson,Thomas etc they have the guts of a very good squad.

They were so unpredictable last year but this year I think they will be more consistent and Martinez will get them playing some nice stuff. Although Caldwell is the weak link they need another center half imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

flahavaj wrote: »
    I also think the probable loss of Mascherano is being glossed over a little - HUGE player for Liverpool, especially in the big games, who'll be very dificult to replace with a player of equal quality.

Unless this takeover happens and theres a big injection of cash, I can see Liverpool's overall squad being a little weaker than last season's, rather than stronger tbh.

True, Mascherano's defensive work will be hard to replace. He mops up from others' mistakes, particularly poor defenders like Johnson and Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fulham
    Wolves for me. The bookies have them as third last but I can see them finishing 11-12th. They have a solid defence, while Fletcher and Hunt are decent signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Man City
    just out of interest what odds would someone be willing to lay on man utd not finishing in the top 4???

redzerdrog wrote: »
    just out of interest what odds would someone be willing to lay on man utd not finishing in the top 4???

Betfair have that as 11/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Blackpool
    I think Newcastle will do quite well, once they don't turn into an episode of Eastender's that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stoke
    Voltwad wrote: »
    I went with West Ham. They've had a good pre-season and Grant is a top manager. They'll be safely placed in 11th or 10th and wont be troubled by the bottom at all.

I'd agree. Think Hammers will do mid table finish this season.

Aside I think Blackpool will do better then people think and will make a fight of it to avoid relagation.

Also expect Wolves to push on from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Man City
    Voted for Liverpool by mistake :(

Meant to go for West Ham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

West Ham
    went for bolton think owen coyle will get them playing nice football instead of hoofing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Wolves
    Went for West Ham aswell..They have a bit of stability now again with the new owners and a decent manager. Grant will make them hard to beat, a couple of decent signings is all they need.

I see nothing has changed with the Liverpool fans anyway! as ever, far too optimistic and disillusioned! Always thinking this is going to be their season only to be left in tears! If anything they will be worse off than last year, Mascherano is going, Gerrard and Carragher are past their best, Torres is unsettled, they have no backup strikers of note, and Hodgson cant hack it at a big club. Its another year of heartache for pool fans! Id give them a generous 6th spot if theyre lucky.

Man City
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Betfair have that as 11/2

taught it would have been 10/1 no value in 11/2 at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liverpool
    I voted for spurs but I acctually meant to vote for Fulham I think Sparky will do a great job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bolton
    redzerdrog wrote: »

How much you looking to lay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Aston Villa
    Man City. I think they can mount a genuine title challenge this season.

Man City
    RasTa wrote: »
    How much you looking to lay?

depends on the odds but onlt €10 or €20 for a bit of fun really I prob want 10/1 if i was to back it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Blackburn
    Went with Everton...

Dunno how anybody can consider Liverpool a surprise package. If they finish in the top 4 it wont be a surprise since the came 2nd 2 years ago and had a stutter last season with plenty of reason but this year they have kept the big palyers signed a good un and got a manager who is sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Aston Villa
    Went with Everton...

Dunno how anybody can consider Liverpool a surprise package. If they finish in the top 4 it wont be a surprise since the came 2nd 2 years ago and had a stutter last season with plenty of reason but this year they have kept the big palyers signed a good un and got a manager who is sensible.

Really? Ask any none-Liverpool fan how they think they'll do this season. Midtable, I reckon would be the consensus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Really? Ask any none-Liverpool fan how they think they'll do this season. Midtable, I reckon would be the consensus.

Exactly. Have to laugh at the Liverpool fans convinced a top 4 position is guaranteed. These are the same people that assured everyone Champions League was nailed on last year. Result? 7th. And despite no noticeable improvement to the squad (masch out cole in is a step back IMO) top 4 is suddenly back on the table?

This season is yours guys eh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭alias no.9

West Ham
    went for bolton think owen coyle will get them playing nice football instead of hoofing it

As did I. Klasnic has signed on a permanent basis, Petrov was a good signing and his service into the box should help Coyle to finally get the best out of Elmander. If they also get Cleverly in on loan from Man U, they should be in a position to challenge for the top 10 again which should surprise most given how little a change in playing staff there has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Blackburn
    i love to see everton and newcastle make the top 6 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Blackburn

I am a non Liverpool fan and I wouldnt be surprised if they finished in the top 4 and its not so unbelieveable if they finish in the top 6 so thats hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Wolves
    West Ham, will do pretty well this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

West Ham
    "exceeding expectations" depends on how you define expectations. Everton coming 6th for example, would not be greatly exceeding expectations in my book.

Here is how one leading bookmaker sees it, which probably isnt a bad way to set the parameters.

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd +2
    3. Man City +8
    4. Arsenal +9

5. Liverpool +13
    6. Tottenham +17
    7. Everton +22
    8. Aston Villa +25
    9. Sunderland +35
    10. Fulham +38

11. Birmingham +39
    12. West Ham +40
    12. Blackburn +40
    12. Stoke +40
    12. Newcastle +40
    16. Bolton +41
    17. Wigan Athletic +44

18. Wolves +45
    19. West Brom +49
    20. Blackpool +54

I'd say Bolton would be a good bet here as they should exceed most peoples expectations of them this year. Owen Coyle seems to be bringing them in the right direction. Could get around 45-50 points.

I expect Liverpool to finish in the top four but probably finish more than 13 behind Chelsea. It's weird that so many people expect them to exceed 'expectations'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Wolves
    West Ham, with Grant at helm, are capable of being a top 10 side at least, so I guess that counts for exceeding expectations.

Newcastle, as long as the board stay out of the headlines for enough time, should survive relegation. Advice to the fans - just don't place too many burdens on your team in their first season back.

Honestly not going to predict Liverpool's fortunes with assurity at this stage of the game. A fit and confident Torres will undoubtely be key through the next few months!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Parma.

AMIDOINITRITE?!?!?!

Advertisement