Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perseids shower 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

No less a person than Leo Enright has just recommended this site to connect the world via Web or Twitter,saying it will also give out the hottest links to streaming video even if Your area is cloudy for tonights Maximum peak.[apparently it is active round the clock and You can add to the data base by twitter.
    Its like a united World of meteor watchers collaberating under one Sky by his account.

http://meteorwatch.org/

Matter of fact i just had a look at the link to the map and it looks cool for those interested,sightings are appearing in real time as a streak as they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

ynotdu wrote: »
    No less a person than Leo Enright has just recommended this site to connect the world via Web or Twitter,saying it will also give out the hottest links to streaming video even if Your area is cloudy for tonights Maximum peak.[apparently it is active round the clock and You can add to the data base by twitter.
    Its like a united World of meteor watchers collaberating under one Sky by his account.

http://meteorwatch.org/

Matter of fact i just had a look at the link to the map and it looks cool for those interested,sightings are appearing in real time as a streak as they appear.
    I was coming on to post that. You listening to the radio as well? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I was coming on to post that. You listening to the radio as well? :P

Those streaks on the site, are they just decorations or are they simulation of real-time reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Saw a few in Carrigtwohill, Cork last night I think between 10 and 11. My 5 year old was very impressed as was I! The cloud came in just before 11 but it was time for bed at that stage. Will we be able to see them tonight down here do you think. It is cloudy now .. but if the cloud clears?

gbee wrote: »
    Those streaks on the site, are they just decorations or are they simulation of real-time reporting?
    I don't know. I'd say just a decoration. I hadn't viewed the site before your post. I presume you are talking about the meteors that streak by when viewing the map?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I don't know. I'd say just a decoration. I hadn't viewed the site before your post. I presume you are talking about the meteors that streak by when viewing the map?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

How's the cloud looking in Dublin tonight? Hope we get some clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Its looking good Sightaridis

From M.T.Cranium on the weather forum

TONIGHT ... extensive clear skies are possible with cloud sometimes coming and going in a few spots. I will update this for the astronomy interests (Perseids meteor shower peak tonight). Lows may reach 6-8 C in rural locations and stay near 10 C around the coasts and in large towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Quite interested in seeing this as long as the cloud clears up!
    Anyone know of any 'good' spots of being able to catch a glimpse in Dublin?
    Would the Phoenix park be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hope the cloud in Galway clears by tonight, typical weather!

• Advertisement

It's really not looking good for South Dublin, just no let up in the thick blanket of cloud.

revz, Phoenix park would be better than most places in dublin but if you can get out of the light pollution

Light pollution map (give it a minute to load)

http://earth.google.com/kmlpreview/#url=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.keyhole.com%2Fubb%2Fubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Ddownload%26Number%3D129936

WallyGUFC, I hope it does too, sorry I dont have the much info for Galway, this is from yesterday:

THURSDAY NIGHT ... extensive clearing should develop during the evening, eastern Ulster and the west coast are more likely to retain cloud cover. It may be quite a chilly night in rural central locations with lows 4-7 C. Elsewhere it will hold at about 8-10 C.

Sightaridis, M.T. said it will be mostly clear by tonight, it will be mostly clear by tonight (fingers crossed)

Indeed, I still harbour some hope from that.

As soon as he has done his update I'll post it here.

From the met.ie

Mostly dry, with a mix of cloud and clear spells. A few light showers are possible overnight. Lowest temperatures of 9 to 11 degrees.

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/nat00_weather.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Whats Marley like for viewing? Do they shut gates to carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

dacogawa
    revz, Phoenix park would be better than most places in dublin but if you can get out of the light pollution
    Indeed, I still harbour some hope from that.

I'm gonna head up to Howth and try watch it from there. Looking at the light map, it seems like the nearest place in the yellow that I can get to & from easily enough. Obviously the clouds may ruin this anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Anyone here know how the stars/meteors should be photographed? WHat settings should be used? I'm after realising I don't have a remote so bulb isn't really an option.

if you use the self timer and set it to 2secs to avoid camera shake and use as long an exposure as possible you'll get it.. aperture wide open and ISO 200 should get you results.. works for me with 60secs exposure..

if you leave the exposure longer you'll get star trails which can be pretty nice too..

don't worry about not having a remote - just use the self timer instead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im in Dublin at the moment and it is particularly overcast. I was hoping to head out to Loughcrew but is there any point at this stage? Is it going to clear up anywhere?

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    if you use the self timer and set it to 2secs to avoid camera shake and use as long an exposure as possible you'll get it.. aperture wide open and ISO 200 should get you results.. works for me with 60secs exposure..

if you leave the exposure longer you'll get star trails which can be pretty nice too..

don't worry about not having a remote - just use the self timer instead
    I went and bought a remote because this is the third or fourth time I've needed one since Christmas so it was a long term investment. :P

And bulb is now an option. :P

Also, I should be totally out of light pollution by tonight. Where I'm going doesn't even show up blue on that light pollution map. :D

Grimes wrote: »
    Im in Dublin at the moment and it is particularly overcast. I was hoping to head out to Loughcrew but is there any point at this stage? Is it going to clear up anywhere?
    Give it an hour or two before you make your mind up. The cloud is beginning to break in parts which is promising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Myself and the gf saw what we thought were 10 shooting stars over a couple of hours period last saturday night. Possibly part of the Perseids?

And if so, can we expect something similar tonight or maybe a bit more majestic?

And what direction is best to look at?

Proper cloud update very soon but this is waht M.T. has to say so far

Yes, I am also optimistic about skies beginning to clear soon in Dublin. Will post an update on that as soon as I can get a better grasp of the rate of change underway (meaning the latest visible satellite image due in any moment now).

Jackobyte, you'll have to post some pictures if it goes well.

I'll post the update as soon as I get it

thecommander, I think they do shut the gates, the walls not that high though

dacogawa wrote: »
    Jackobyte, you'll have to post some pictures if it goes well.
    I'll tried if it works out. Not sure how the skies will be when I go where I'm going. I'm moving further west which seems to be the wrong direction according to the weather forecasts. Absolutely no lights though.

One thing though is that where I'll be going won't have internet and I'll be there for the next two weeks so I mightn't post the pictures anytime soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

kraggy wrote: »
    Myself and the gf saw what we thought were 10 shooting stars over a couple of hours period last saturday night. Possibly part of the Perseids?

And if so, can we expect something similar tonight or maybe a bit more majestic?

And what direction is best to look at?
    As far as I know {astronomy guys help here:)} they appear to come from the northeast/east and move very fast towards the sourhwest/west . At least thats where I am looking.:) Towards the east and overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

dacogawa wrote: »
    thecommander, I think they do shut the gates, the walls not that high though

Ill just head to the Phoenix Park instead. Same distance really. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The ones I saw the other night, were almost straight up

stolen from astronomy ireland site
    The Perseids will appear to originate from a point in the north-east.
    perseids2010s.jpg
    http://www.astronomy.ie/perseids2010.html

Weather update from M.T.

Cloud does seem to be thinning and breaking up gradually so that by 10 p.m. onwards there could be patches of clear sky available for viewing the Perseids, I think the central and eastern regions will have better chances than the western third, but even there some breaks may develop. I will update at 9 p.m. with some more specific info about where clear skies are likely so check back around then

RTE saying that it will break up as well http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1078435

Some fairly significant gaps starting to appear in the cloud now over south Dublin.

If I manage to get any images tonight, I'll upload them as soon as I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I saw some last night, and that was just from my south facing bedroom window. I saw one really good one which brightened, dimmed, brightened and disappeared - all very quickly of course. I've never seen that sort of double flash before. It seems to be clearing a bit here in Dublin. I'll try outside later.

• Advertisement

Sky seems to have taken a turn for the worst, looking very doubtful that I'll get anything tonight.

Advertisement