Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perseids shower 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

This thread reads more like a weather report than a meteor shower report. :) For the record, it's cloudy in the south of Dublin at present. The odd break here and there now and again, but none big enough or around long enough to do any serious scanning for meteors. The last two nights were very clear. Still, the weather is generally meant to be good over the coming days, so if you don't see anything tonight, keep looking for a few nights yet. We may be past the peak, but we'll still be deep enough in the dust trail to see some meteors well into next week. So don't stop looking after tonight.

Flukey - weather and meteor correspondent, south Dublin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

Plenty of cloud over the Midlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Starting to break from the west here.

Jackobyte, reporting live from West Clare. Back to the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

All I see is them fecking clouds. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

I thought I saw one...but it was just a moth moving in the light :rolleyes:

Cloudy here in Wesht Cork too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

Update form north dublin....................................

..............it's still cloudy!!!!!!!!!!

Time to get the emergency task force into operation, cloud blowers start your engines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Dubstar07 wrote: »
    Update form north dublin....................................

..............it's still cloudy!!!!!!!!!!

Time to get the emergency task force into operation," cloud blowers" start your engines :D

Cloud blowers?.......cloud bursting will do!
    27139409_.jpg
    :D:D:D

2am people!
    chance then for the clouds to break for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

2AM? What's the source for this...all the MET satellite images are 6 hours old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

clearing nicely over dundalk. seen 6 so far but got cold lol. will be back out in a min. hope the rest of you get a break in the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Flukey wrote: »
    This thread reads more like a weather report than a meteor shower report. :)

Well considering the amount of astronomy topics in the weather forum lately we're just getting our own back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Just back from the Golf ball on the Clare Hills. Couldn't see any stars at all. Weather forecast predicted partly cloudy but it was cloudy so no falling stars this year. I wonder about tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Think I saw two close side by side, but hard to tell as it was only a hole in the clouds & the clouds were also fast moving, so might not be it at all.
    Even got the kids out of bed to look aswell.... that didn't go down too well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Was just about to go to bed there about 20 minutes ago, took a quick peek outside the window expecting to see nothing in the night sky, but lo and behold there was a decent clear spot right over my head. So I quickly threw on a pullover, ran out the back and in the space of 10 minutes, I saw 5 meteors, 2 really bright ones (in only a 15% view of the sky), all coming from a NE direction. Very chuffed at at that, kids will be well peeved off in the morning when they find out :D.

That clearance was heading in the Galway city direction when I came back inside, I would say anyone staying up into the small hours here in the west has a half decent chance of spotting a few after all. Tomorrow night, hopefully clearer skies will add up to more sightings even if the peak has passed.

More cloud cover. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Was just about to go to bed there about 20 minutes ago, took a quick peek outside the window expecting to see nothing in the night sky, but lo and behold there was a decent clear spot right over my head. So I quickly threw on a pullover, ran out the back and in the space of 10 minutes, I saw 5 meteors, 2 really bright ones (in only a 15% view of the sky), all coming from a NE direction. Very chuffed at at that, kids will be well peeved off in the morning when they find out :D.

That clearance was heading in the Galway city direction when I came back inside, I would say anyone staying up into the small hours here in the west has a half decent chance of spotting a few after all. Tomorrow night, hopefully clearer skies will add up to more sightings even if the peak has passed.
    Just outside the city here. Very few clear patches as of yet. I've never noticed that ghostly orange gloom over the city before!

I just saw a star flash really bright 2 or 3 times & dissapear, couldn't possible be any planes this time of night, unless it was the clouds covering it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Thick cloud cover in North Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

A live feed from the Marshall Spaceflight Centre is at the link below.
    They have a camera pointed in the right direction might be worth keeping an eye on if all else fails.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/marshall-space-flight-center

Mind You the Chatters there are giving out stink about seeing nothing either :)
    but the Stream is live two days now and will continue over more nights with the bonus for nightworkers\nightowls in Ireland of the time diffrience.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Sully wrote: »
    Tramore - I can see some stars alright but nothing shooting anyway!

just back from woodstown, saw 4 in a gap of the cloud and two were in a row and really bright, pity its so cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Had a look, there aren't many clouds around (in Letterkenny) but haven't seen anthing, only looked for about 2 minutes there though

• Advertisement

I've just seen lots slowly cross the sky and two almost look like they exploded with a big streak of light! Probably burning up in the atmosphere.
    Oh and can anyone tell me, I think I see the milky way strip right across the whole sky, it's not my imagination is it?

I have finally seen one on the link above,You hear a pinging sound when one comes into the Scope/Camera field of view.
    No where near as good as seeing with naked eye in Ireland but here in Dublin it is complete Cloud cover!:(
    forgot to mention the Early to bed,early to rise people here in Ireland our Dawn will be at least five hours before this feed from America will:)

Spent the last 40 minutes or so outside. Saw 5 but no photos, had problem with focus.

Clouds came in and filled the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

ynotdu wrote: »
    I have finally seen one on the link above,You hear a pinging sound when one comes into the Scope/Camera field of view.
    No where near as good as seeing with naked eye in Ireland but here in Dublin it is complete Cloud cover!:(
    forgot to mention the Early to bed,early to rise people here in Ireland our Dawn will be at least five hours before this feed from America will:)

i live in dublin and there is only one small little cloud where i am? lol and i just saw 2 of them :P

And my dad is forcing me to bed. Gah :(

Mwah wrote: »
    i live in dublin and there is only one small little cloud where i am? lol and i just saw 2 of them :P

Ha, at least the posters here make sense the Chatroom on that site is well.............but You can go to fullscreen.

The main consensus there seems to be that the Camera is located in the PDT time zone which means it is either 7 or 8 hours behind Ireland so plenty of chance for people supposed to be doing the day job to have a sneak when the boss is not about tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just saw one through the clouds. job done, I can go to bed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

On 5 count so far. Only one big un.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Was in the Phoenix park from 11-12; there was a complete blanket of clouds where I was.
    Went up to howth, and from 12:45 til 2:15 it cleared up and was absolutely beautiful! Saw ~20 shooting stars in that time and missed plenty more, will definitely be keeping an eye out in the next few nights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Just back from phoenix park, cleared up but only saw 5 :rolleyes:

Advertisement