Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perseids shower 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

We've been out for at least half an hour and between the 4 of us we saw about 10-12 :D Some faint, some bright, some shorter some longer, and a bat too :pac: that kept appearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Managed to see 2 over a 30 mins period.
    Alot of cloud is after coming in now though so can barely see any stars.

Saw a couple of slow moving objects moving to south to north as well. I presume they were satellites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

OUt the last hour here in north dublin.

Seen a good few, mostly faint ones tough coz of light pollution, but did see some real good ones too !

Just in to make the 2nd round of tea! then bac out for another hour or so ! :)

WOO!

ENJOY IT PEOPLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just saw one here in Waterford before I got a pain in me neck from lookin up!

Surprised at seeing so many satellites.

Seen one whilst out on my Garden Shed roof. Wasn't particularly looking for it but I copped it before it disappeared.

Pretty cool stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If you are going to look out for a while, get a chair or even a sun lounger and lie on it and look up. You'll be able to see more sky and save your neck. Not much joy in my part of Dublin. Some breaks in the cloud, but even then it is a bit hazy. :( I looked for a while but saw nothing. I will have another go and maybe have more luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Been out for the last half hour but no joy :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Out in Meath on a blanket for over an hour and saw almost 30. At least 5 of them had extremely visible trails. Cloud has rolled and was getting chilly so I called it a day.
    Delighted after not being able to see them last night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Just out in South Dublin for about 20 minutes. Saw at least 3.

Also saw what seems to be a Lacrosse 3 sat, judging by the course info according to Heavens Above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Down here in Waterford in the not so sunny southeast I Have seen feck all! im sure other people might have seen some but i have seen NONE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Just come in to replenish the caffeine supplies! but suprisingly numerous amount visible from here in the hills above Skerries despite ragged cloud cover. Spotted seven bright ones and fifteen faint ones between 00.15 and 01.15. Great night for viewing, so back out for another spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Cleared up for a while and I tried to get some photos. I felt extremely hard done by. One of the meteors appeared to pass through my frame but it didn't appear in the photo. It must have bordered the photo. :mad:

Saw 10+
    Photo'd none :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

lol i still havnt seen any Might call it a day soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I saw a couple since my last post. There is a haziness in the sky tonight, so while you can see stars, it isn't one of those really clear nights. RobitTV and anyone that hasn't seen any, keep looking over the next few nights. The weather may not be good next week, but we should get a reasonable weekend, so that should mean some clear periods. There will be more meteor showers to come as well.

No haziness here Flukey. When light clouds pass it becomes hazy but it is clear again after it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Just back from woodstown in waterford again,

saw a heap of meteors, one appeared to break apart into smaller trails

saw a load of satellites, and i think its jupiter is quite visable too, its the brightest looking thing in the sky at the moment.

saw an airliner crusing, and you can see the milky way cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Just to clarify, what do these things looks like because I've seen a few things in the sky but I'm not sure if its just my eyes, could someone describe them?

emmetmcl wrote: »
    Just to clarify, what do these things looks like because I've seen a few things in the sky but I'm not sure if its just my eyes, could someone describe them?

Literally like shooting stars.

Little dots of light moving across the sky at very high speeds. A tail is usually visible directly behind them.

and satellites look like little stars which move at a constant rate smoothly across the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

another cloudy night in Limerick, not even one star in the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Clear sky forecast for limerick tonight.
    Will there be any Meteors left I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Clear sky forecast for limerick tonight.
    Will there be any Meteors left I wonder?

There's meteors every night, just not as many as there has been in the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

yes but whens the perseids shower suppose to end/wind down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

wylo wrote: »
    yes but whens the perseids shower suppose to end/wind down?

August 24th, apparently. Although there'll be less and less of them every night from now on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

and satellites look like little stars which move at a constant rate smoothly across the sky
    I was only out the country once looking at the sky and I've seen two of these things as you described. Satellites you say? Are they that common in the sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Plug wrote: »
    I was only out the country once looking at the sky and I've seen two of these things as you described. Satellites you say? Are they that common in the sky?

Yes! There should be between 8 & 16 GPS satellites permanently visible alone. Add to that comms sats of all types, TV, Radio, Phone, Internet, Military, Spy, geo survey, space radar and a host of experimental satellites of which Ireland has sent up its share through the European Space agency.

Plus the junk that will now remain in orbit in slowly decaying circles. One of the magnanimous shuttle directives was to scoop up this junk routinely but they abandoned this task.

Plug wrote: »

theres a crazy number of satellites in the sky, I was watching james mays 21st century and he showed a moving simulation of all the satellites, there is even an outter ring like our very own saturn rings....

space_junk_leo.png
    Nasa wrote:
    Thousands of manmade objects—95 % of them “space junk”— occupy low Earth orbit. Each black dot in this image shows either a functioning satellite, an inactive satellite, or a piece of debris. Although the space near Earth looks crowded, each dot is much larger than the satellite or debris it represents, and collisions are extremely rare.

space_junk_geo.png

Nasa wrote:
    Illustration of space junk in Geosynchronous orbit.
    Orbiting objects are concentrated in low Earth orbit (nearly obscuring the Earth’s surface in this illustration) and geostationary orbit (revealed by the ring of satellites along the outer edges).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

clear skies here in co clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

Clear skies here in Kildare ... saw 1 so far and 4 satellites ! Never seen so many :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seen nothing so far, where in sky should i be looking??

is there a certain time when they are most prevalent??

Advertisement