Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perseids shower 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

fryup wrote: »
    clear skies here in co clare

yup
    small child is sat out on back doorstep - I am in the warm with a glass of wine....she's to shout me if she sees anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Clearing from the southeast here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Having had a look myself, i think it's probably safe to say the shower is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

anyone know which direction to look, is it north east or north west, im in limerick and having a quiet one so might pop into the car and go somewhere, finally no clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Where in the sky should you look, straight above or more to the horizon? Do they last long when it starts?
    I havent seen a shower in years. Last place was in Austrailian outback and its was amazing the stuff you could see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

feck this, been out for 1/2 an hour seen nothing off to bed

just spoted 3, north-north east of Clogherhead co louth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Having had a look myself, i think it's probably safe to say the shower is over.

Its not over yet.Seen over 10 in the last 20 minutes ,3 of which lasted a good few seconds.

seen two good long ones myself ther

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

Saw nothing for first twenty minutes I was out, but have seen several good ones in last fifteen mins. Going from north to east. Watch under the casseopia constellation (big W), sorta north east.

• Advertisement

John85 wrote: »
    Its not over yet.Seen over 10 in the last 20 minutes ,3 of which lasted a good few seconds.

Cool, i might nip back out for a smoke and look see. Any particular part of the sky i should be looking at? I tend to just look straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Yep, nice clear skies in Clare. Headed out into the Burren and saw 3 in around 40min - one really bright. May have also seen a couple of other smaller ones. he ones that I saw were to the left of the brightest star, up quite high (really craning the neck!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

Seen another bright one and 4 more satellites :P Its great that the sky is so clear

Not wishing to burst anyones bubble but i'd expect to see three meteors within 40 mins on any clear night, i wouldn't consider it a shower, more of a slow drip.

That said, i went out for 25 mins and caught 4 in the corner of my eye within 5 mins and then nothing at all after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Was up out past Dublin airport. Perfect night for it.
    Seen about 20 in the hour. Not all perseids I'm not but still good all the same. Seen about 5 real good ones wit a bit of a trail left.

The things the sky can do is amazing.

Now off to sleep I goes... In work in 5 & a half hours!..................:(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Seen about another 10 mostly small ones.I prefer the geminids in December.

Just spent the last hour and a half outside. Tried some really long exposures to get star trails. Tried 15 minutes at ISO800 and F5.6 and I got cool results. Then, trying to make the trails longer I doubled the time and halved the ISO thinking they would counteract each other on brightness, leaving the aperture the same. I was wrong, it ended up being totally blown out and really brown and horrible. Waste of 30 minutes.

Really clear skies here but very low meteor count. In the hour and a half, I only saw about 5 or 6. Disappointing. All were from the south-east, only seen one from the north-east in the 3 nights I've been looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Just went outside for 10 or 15 minutes and saw two.

I was looking for the last two nights but it was all cloud, no cloud at all in Letterkenny tonight, thats the first time I've ever seen a shooting star or whatever you want to call it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Just back from viewing sky in County Limerick. About 5 in 1 1/2 hours. But small and very short time span. Daughter afraid of dark so had to leave. Not sure how many I'd have seen on any clear night.

Maybe next year will see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

was out taking photos from about 11.30 to 2.30, barely saw any meteors tonight, but there were chinese lanterns :P

4894550941_dbdb026540_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Surprisingly shortage of uploads to Youtube of the shower.
    This is Raw Video which covers just 55 seconds at a perfect location for viewing captured right at the peak.This is how lucky it is possible to get when Meteor spotting!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Sky looks perfect in South Dublin. No clouds, star starting to be visible.

Will there be much Perseid activity tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Such a clear night. Hopefully we'll get to see some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

saw 4 there,here in limerick was sitting out for a 30-40 mins, lovely night just to sit out and watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Great photo Roomic Cube.

Looking forward to next years shower already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Had two almost criss-cross the other night. Just about a second of a delay between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We are long past the peak, but I saw an absolute beauty tonight. I was casually looking out my bedroom window at Jupiter, when a really bright meteor shot some way below it, but well in my range of view. I saw it very nicely and there was no doubt what it was. It was really bright. It was also coming from the direction of Perseus. I can't be so sure, but I think I may have seen one the other night too, though I wasn't looking in its direction. Now I know you can see a meteor on absolutely any night of the year, but I still think what I saw tonight could just about be classed as a Perseid. Whatever way you want to class it, it was beautiful.

was out taking photos from about 11.30 to 2.30, barely saw any meteors tonight, but there were chinese lanterns :P

<milky way>
    What settings were used r this? Nothing shows in the exif data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Was outside having a smoke last night and looked up to see a very bright light moving across the sky from SW->NE direction at 10:16pm.
    Thought it was the space station for a bit because it was so consistantly bright but after about 12 seconds, it started fading and just disappeared.

I'm guessing this was another meteor yeah?
    If it was, it must've been a big one 'cause I've never seen one that stayed constant in its brightness for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If it lasted 12 seconds, there is no way that it was a meteor. It may have been the ISS. You'd have to check the times, which are available on several websites. If not the ISS then it was another satellite.

www.heavens-above.com and http://www.n2yo.com are 2 sites that I use for checking the whereabouts and viewing times of the ISS. It was certainly going over in recent nights, so it could have been it.

Advertisement