Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a builders finished home

• 03-08-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, Looking for advice on buying a house with builders finish. Has anyone experience of loan application for a builder finished house and if possible to increase the loan amount to cover cost of completing outstanding work. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭radharc

I know this thread didn't get much of a response (!) when first posted but I'm currently in the same situation, just wondering if anyone has any experience in this regard?

On a slight tangent, met with my local AIB branch recently and couldn't believe how easy the deputy manager made things sound, at one stage I said I thought it would have been much more difficult he said not to believe everything written in the papers! Will it be a different story when I actually stick the application in or would he have a fair idea of the likely success of the application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

testers wrote: »
    Looking for advice on buying a house with builders finish. Has anyone experience of loan application for a builder finished house and if possible to increase the loan amount to cover cost of completing outstanding work. thanks
    There was a thread about one for sale - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604323 - and the house that they talk about is http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=455221

I'm sure you'll notice that the thread is over a year old - shows how much of an interest that there is in someone buying a house where you'll still need to input an extra unknown quantity of cash into (seems people say upwards of €30,000), to make the house a home.

Seems getting someone in to look at the place, to give a quote on how much work would cost, as not all work you can do yourself. Example: you'll need a cert from a certified electrician before ESB will turn the power on for your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I did but that was a few years ago now.
    Bought a builders finish house and then got a personal loan to pay for the finish.
    We borrowed about 25k over 7 years and gave the reason as "home impovements".

Edited to add, the builders finish on our house included plumbing and wiring, sanitary wear and garden seeded etc. All we had to do was floors, painting, kitchen and tiling so it was a lot less work and money. The 25k included our furniture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement