Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rowan jelly

Options
  • 03-08-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone have a recipe for rowan jelly? I've found a couple on the internet, but they involve using crab apples, which I don't grow. I suspect using cooking apples would have the same effect, but I'm not entirely sure that the same quantity of sugar would be needed. Any ideas gratefully recieved!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The only thing I can say to help is that crab apples would be more sour than cooking apples.
    Possibly more pectin in crabs too which would help set the jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Old season cooking apples are not sour at all and require no sugar - IMO, they are the only ones available right now.

Can you wait another few weeks? - new season Brambly (SOUR) and crab apples should be available at the start of September

Advertisement