Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNIV. PITTSBURGH VS, IRELAND tonight 7.30 DCU

Options
  • 03-08-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

anybody going???? i am, just wondering about intrest for this..im sure Pittsburgh are going to have some seriously good players...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 SilverLad

I am so going! In my country basketball is the 2nd biggest sport (after the all so tedious footbal/soccer), and I cant wait to see a proper basketbbal game!!

PS: Im bringing a few of my "yank" friends with me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Not being critical for the sake of it but pretty poor showing from the Ireland select team (I know it wasn't the full national Team by any stretch). No-one seemed to want to box out against a bigger, quicker and more athletic team so it's not surprising that the leapers Pitt had dominated the offensive boards. If man for man you're smaller than the opposition and they're far more athletic than you, you at least have to put a body on a guy before you even look for the ball or they'll literally jump over you, which Pitt did all night.

Some guys just seemed determined to get on the score board no matter what it took - there was some AWFUL shot selection and some guys just seemed to refuse to pass to better placed team-mates. Throw in the fact that Pitt were subbing and rotating way more than they would ever do in a tight game and you realise that a 50point loss could have been a LOT worse. Scary.

Tolka's American (at least that's what I was told he was) looks a nice player though; nice inside moves and footwork, excellent 3 point range for a big man, a decent rebounder and solid fundamentals all round. All in all, like a lot of white US exports!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Man! That Ireland No. 10 was a nightmare to watch! How did he get into the national team!!

Can't remember who the 10 was but it wasn't the National Team - it was an "Ireland Select" or some Mickey Mouse title like that. The IBA wouldn't release the National Team players.

I also heard from a fairly reliable source they got their kit from O'Neills the week before the game - they didn't even have kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

There is no Irish senior team anymore due to lack of funding. IBA is possibly one of the worst basketball organisations in the world.

Ah no.10 (Kev Foley), is a very good player. But the Pittsburgh team are of a much higher standard compared to anything here. Killester game was much better to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

There isn't even a national team?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Not anymore.. shame but what can they do. no money in bball in ireland and zero funding.

And foley is a decent player. didnt see the game but he cant have been that bad!

No, but thanks to Bertie & Co., (a very large part of) Croke Park was funded by the taxpayer!

SAY NO TO MINORITY SPORTS!!!!!!! Despite the fact that more kids play basketball in secondary school in Ireland than most other sports.....Hmmmmm.....

The Women's National Team needed €50,000 to compete in Europe this year. They couldn't raise that through sponsorship yet Padraig Harrington gets a reputed €2m a year to wear a tiny Bank of Ireland logo on his jumper. Strange world!

But the best part was how the women's team found out they no longer were entered into the Europeans - they read it in the paper. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

There is no great return for money invested into basketballireland anyway. Its not very well run, never exactly has been either. Although it is sad to see it the way it is, I couldn't imagine a mens team really making much noise on the international scene.

Maybe it will turn around in a few years, but for now we just have to rely on clubs using their superleague teams etc to draw more people to the sport.

Advertisement