Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Leuven, Belgium...

Options
  • 03-08-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35 sean-og3

Hello all,
    I will be moving to Leuven in Sept to study in the K.c University... Anyone else out there moving over or living there now? Any advice ye could give me would be appreciated... e.g. good spots to live, go out, meet other irish people, language etc... Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi Sean Og,well I'm just back from Leuven. Have family living there and go over every year to catch up. It's a great spot. You will get by very easily with no Flemish- the Belgians like to use their English. If you are a drinker-buy the local brew- Stella Artois being the top seller. There is an Irish bar just off the main square, it's called Thomas Stapleton. Nice spot with fantastic Guinness and it does a fine breakfast on Sundays. They have live bands on Saturday nights and you will find plenty of Irish there.I'm usually away with the kids and have found loads to do but there is agreat night life there as it is a university town. Plus you will be so central to many other great places withinn a train journeys distance. There is often plenty of gigs in or around the area too. As for living-well maybe ask in the Irish pub if you don't have a place before you get there. In and around the centre of Leuven there are so many flats-most places come unfurnished though. There are very good 2nd hand sales on at the weekend where you would get what you need. Hope that is of some help. Enjoy your time there. It's also very pretty if you are into photography!Have fun,I'm a tad jealous actually as the weather is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sean-og3

Thanks very much... Some great advice there! Am really looking forward to it!

• Not too much to add but you're so lucky, OP! Leuven is an amazing spot. The uni nightlife is unreal, there are loads of student bars everywhere that are dirt cheap and very reasonable restaurants as well. It's just a really nice little city. There are loads of international students there and it's easy to just run into people randomly, I ended up drinking with some Spaniards and some local Belgians when I was last there for a day or two. I would recommend learning some Flemish, it's actually not that difficult to get the basics, and a basic vocabulary gets you surprisingly far. Practically everyone speaks English if you get stuck. You'll have a great time!

Advertisement