Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best driving instructer/ school in letterkenny

Options
  • 03-08-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

looking for a good driving instructer/school in the letterkenny area, that wont cost the earth any ideas? there are so many out there i dont know where to start

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

I found Hugh Doherty in Milford to be excellent. Might not be the cheapest but the lessons are great so you'd probably need less of them.

Sweeney's School of Motoring are supposed to be very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

+1 for Sweeney's, they are very good.
    Also, consider Swilly Drive School of Motoring - also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I found Hugh Doherty in Milford to be excellent. Might not be the cheapest but the lessons are great so you'd probably need less of them.

Would he give lessons in letterkenny?

I don't know if sweenyes are much good tbh

Yeah, most of the lessons I had with him were in Letterkenny. He doesn't waste time taking you for runs up and down country roads in fourth gear (like an instructor I had before him who shall remain nameless). As soon as you're ready he takes you through the town and lets you experience as many different situations as possible so you can learn fast. I can't recommend him highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lisadwt

Swilly Drive, can't recommend them highly enough, although it's a good 7 years since I used them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 lalalots

how much roughly and do u have a number for hom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Swilly Drive / Sweeneys have a 95% pass rate for the driving test

is swilly drive and sweenys the same? cant find any info on sweenys on line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

lalalots wrote: »
    is swilly drive and sweenys the same? cant find any info on sweenys on line

Yep, sorry for my confusing post earlier - I should have said that they are the same company:

Link for swilly drive : here

how much roughly and do u have a number for hom?

074 91 53374.

Not sure what he's charging these days.

• Advertisement

ok thanks a mill guys, do u think it would be ok to sort of test the two companeys out before deciding?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

I found A1 motors were very good! He wasn't overly expensive and didn't waste time either! I only went on 3 lessons with him as a refresher before I done my test .. and I passed first time :) would recommend! Good Luck driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

My mate is getting driving lessons at the minute, pays 25 euro a lesson, by lesson two all they did was drive around the car park even though she knows how to drive already! The only reason she is sticking with her is cos she is the cheapest but if by lesson two shes still only in the car park, then it's gonna cost a fortune.

I had 2 lessons with McNamees before, they were ok, the older woman was brilliant but the younger one was a bit meh.

Had 1 lesson with Swilly Drive and they were brilliant, brought me out onto the carriageway and up big hills and tight corners which was exactly what happened in my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

I had my lesson with A1 and found them to be very good also. Nick was great at building up my confidence as i was a complete beginner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vinny bhoy

looking for a good driving instructer/school in the letterkenny area, that wont cost the earth any ideas? there are so many out there i dont know where to start

Is there loads?

Im an instructor in derry was considering teaching around donegal soon too as iv recently moved to letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Angela Ward is a brilliant instructor she is upfront and honest will point out any bad habits 3 lessons with her I passed.I recommended her to 2 other people who had already failed twice and a couple of lessons and they too passed she was €35 then i think few years ago but so worth it. I wasnt nervous going into my test at all after my lessons with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I'm surprised no one has mentioned O'Donnell's yet. I use them and I find them execlent. They take one or 2 lessons on the dual carrageway till they think you can control the car enough to go over the test routes. They get you so well prepared for the test.
    And its only 100e for 3 lessons if you buy them in 3's. Otherwise its 35e each lesson.
    Swilly the last time I checked were looking for 45e a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭kev7329

How long do the lessons last for, as i'm lookin for someone as well as i'd be a beginner.
    Are there new rules coming in soon as well, as thats why i want to take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

kev7329 wrote: »
    How long do the lessons last for, as i'm lookin for someone as well as i'd be a beginner.
    Are there new rules coming in soon as well, as thats why i want to take it up.
    They usually allow an hour slot for lessons, but you can get anywhere between 40 and 55 minutes behind the wheel depending on traffic and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

can anybody recommend an intructor and prices if poss?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where about are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

DOOHHH!!! letterkenny.....sorry about that!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No probs. I'll merge this with another thread regarding the same topic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

tonybhoy72 wrote: »
    DOOHHH!!! .....

Someone call :D.....

I'd highly recommend Letterkenny school of motoring, i done my test, and know a good few people who done their test with him, fantastic instructor. He is always calm, kinda like the teacher at school that never cared, a bit boring but never loses the rattly, ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I'm surprised no one has said "Don't say you wurna toul" yet!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

Angela Ward was brilliant, she really wants you to pass.
    She also does mock tests and marks you as if she was conducting the test, really good when you can see your result improve with each lesson. Anyone I recommended her to passed their test.

Did not find Sweeneys good at all, would not recommend to anyone. 95% pass rate - know 4 people who failed test after using them recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 timeforheroes

And me to that. I'm changing after failing today. The problem with Swilly is that you seem to have a different instructor every time telling you different things and frannkly it doesn't help at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Have to agree with Homer about Letterkenny School of Motoring, really good instructor and always stays calm and lets you get on with driving. Only €25 a lesson as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I'd highly recommend Letterkenny school of motoring, i done my test, and know a good few people who done their test with him, fantastic instructor. He is always calm, kinda like the teacher at school that never cared, a bit boring but never loses the rattly, ha ha.

Perhaps now that you have passed your driving test, you will have the confidence to get lessons in English...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

I'd highly recommend Letterkenny school of motoring, i done my test, and know a good few people who done their test with him, fantastic S

I learned with Stephen Sweeney about 10 years ago. He was fantastic...

Advertisement